U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:44 AM

4,502 posts, read 7,097,016 times
Default Cell Service in NYC

I'm currently with Verizon and my contract runs out at the end of this year. I don't want to renew because they no longer have unlimited data plans. I want to switch to another provider but definitely NOT Metro PCS since I heard they have spotty service and text messages, etc don't go through immediately. I need something reliable and I HAVE TO know my texts are getting to the other party right away.

Can anyone suggest a new carrier? I'm currently paying $155/mo for 4 phones with unlimited texting but only 700 shared minutes. We've never gone over our minutes because we stay within the Verizon network and only make other calls after 7pm or on weekends.

I'd love some feedback on other carriers with unlimited calling, text, data. We're keeping all 4 phones and don't want to have to pay a fortune.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:16 AM

9,168 posts, read 15,741,312 times
T-Mobile is pretty decent...i'm paying $135/mo for 2 Blackberries on a family plan, everything unlimited. The only place I never get service is when I'm on the A train traveling over Jamaica Bay...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:52 AM

4,851 posts, read 4,286,766 times
I thought once you had unlimited data--you automatically get "grandfathered" in with the same unlimited data with your new contract.

Unread 11-27-2011, 11:39 AM

1,365 posts, read 350,836 times
How long have you been a Verizon customer?? You should haggle with them, tell them your plans on leaving and why. I believe all companies are going to slowly discontinue the unlimited data and text.

Unread 11-27-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I thought once you had unlimited data--you automatically get "grandfathered" in with the same unlimited data with your new contract.
No... I never had a data plan. I only had the 700 minutes and unlimited texting. We never had "smartphones" so we didn't need a data plan. For Verizon customers who DID have it, they did get grandfathered in.

Unread 11-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
How long have you been a Verizon customer?? You should haggle with them, tell them your plans on leaving and why. I believe all companies are going to slowly discontinue the unlimited data and text.
I've been with them for about 6 years --- I agree with you. I'm going to call them after my contract expires and haggle, haggle, haggle. I want to stay with Verizon since they've always been so reliable but I have no problem leaving them if they don't want to give me a decent plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City