U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,815,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
point of my question was that, since StuyTown is not illegal yet it has the same basic description as the place that I mention in the op, then why assume the place I am looking at is illegal? Why not just try to be helpful and answer the original question?
Because someone had already pointed out that stuytown does not include cable/internet. And reading back through your OP actually, it's possible that the place you found might not either. Which could mean that it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 8,064,105 times
Quote:
point of my question was that, since StuyTown is not illegal yet it has the same basic description as the place that I mention in the op, then why assume the place I am looking at is illegal? Why not just try to be helpful and answer the original question?
It depends on what the landlord considers "all utilities". Why didn't you ask? If the apartment is in a private home (as opposed to an apartment building) and the description says "all utilities included", it's most likely an illegal apartment. Stuyvesant Town is a completely unique apartment complex and you can't compare it to any other complex. You more than likely cannot afford to live in Stuy Town ($2500 for a 1BR, 4K for 2BRs).

As for getting your internet hooked up, why not just ask your potential LL? If they're including only basic utilities, find out if you'll be permitted to have your own cable/internet hookup.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM

192 posts, read 312,674 times
You are partly right, but if nothing else it did keep the thread going and I did get the answer I sought.

I need to go sign a lease in Manhattan for this particular unit if I want it, so it doesn't seem to be illegal.

That man was trying to be slick by saying I couldn't afford Stuytown (which was in the news like 2 days ago for some guy robbing old people), so that sort of prompted my "not so nice" response.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 PM

4,502 posts, read 8,064,105 times
Oh, and as far as it being illegal: In my younger days, I also rented illegal apartments. Now that I'm older and wiser, I would NEVER do that: not only is it dangerous but if the city finds out the LL is renting out an illegal space, they (the city) can force you to leave without notice.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 PM

192 posts, read 312,674 times
Thank You guys for the information. I'm sorry that I didn't provide enough information in the original post. The studio apt. is in a building. Um...I am looking to sign a lease soon, but I will ask to find out about the internet beforehand.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,815,369 times
Quote:
That man was trying to be slick by saying I couldn't afford Stuytown (which was in the news like 2 days ago for some guy robbing old people), so that sort of prompted my "not so nice" response.

Legit LOL at "That man...". Made me picture some little doe-eyed kid explaining to a cop what he saw when the crime went down.

You're simply adorable you know that?

Last edited by availableusername; 11-28-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM

11,364 posts, read 11,299,787 times
Just call Verizon and ask them if you can get their FIOS Triple Play...currently $75 for 2 years of high speed internet, 200 channels of TV, and full digital phone service.

"All utilities included" does not usually include these. And of course, they will be in your name.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM

2,900 posts, read 4,785,900 times
Quote:
You are partly right, but if nothing else it did keep the thread going and I did get the answer I sought.

I need to go sign a lease in Manhattan for this particular unit if I want it, so it doesn't seem to be illegal.

Sorry, I am going to say this straight out.

You either have a medical condition, to which you have my sympathy; or you are one of the most naive, manic obsessive NYers to ever grace City Data!

"Keeping the thread going"?

Is there a use for pointless threads to which the subject matter is inanely obvious?

The way to look at "all utilities" included is to think, 'all NECESSARY utilites'. Cable is not a necessity. Note, I am sure you realize 'phone service' is not included, and not a necessity, correct? So why would you think 'cable' would be?

In some cases, you might view "all utilities" as 'all utilities necessary to maintain life'. In which case that would only include, water, heat, and cooking gas. Electricity not included and not being necessary to maintain life

Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,845,037 times
Quote:
So, how will I go about getting my internet hooked up? Wireless preferable.
You call up the Internet company you wish to use and tell them, "Hello, I wish to purchase your services." They say great and set up an appointment to send someone out.

Whether or not the other utilities are in your name or not has no bearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City