U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 PM

283 posts, read 879,192 times

Advertisements

I was looking at a unit and the water pressure seems to be REALLY low. Is this the kind of thing that the super would fix or I should somehow try to fix on my own?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 PM

168 posts, read 483,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
I was looking at a unit and the water pressure seems to be REALLY low. Is this the kind of thing that the super would fix or I should somehow try to fix on my own?
It depends on the cause. Is it just the shower? Is it limited to the bathroom or is the pressure low in the kitchen as well? If it's limited to the shower, it could be hard water/lime deposits and be as simple as putting on a new shower head. This is a fairly easy task, but you should ask your LL first. If the pressure is low throughout the entire apartment, well then it's probably indicative of a building wide issue and I wouldn't expect it to be remedied.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 AM

82,996 posts, read 80,473,563 times
if its just the shower it may just be the restrictor in the shower head.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 AM

22,919 posts, read 30,829,694 times
Yep,

These flow restricting showers are terrible for the showeree. Trouble is that most of the ones you buy have a water restictor in them. If you know the innards of a shower sometimes the core can be replaced, sometimes it is only a washer with a tiny hole that must be replaced. If the restricting washer, usually plastic is part and parcel of the guts of the shower head, just take a drill that is larger than the hole and drill it out making sure to flush out all the frilled filings.

But even on good OLD showers, sometimes the holes in the head will get filled with gunk from occasional muddy water or even from the tiy filings from the inside of a corroding pipe. Take the shower head off (using TWO wrenches so you don't cause an in wall leak) and inspect. If cruddy, clean it with backflow and a paper clip for the holes.

Rpelace the head with a good high flow model if you can find one. Make sure you keep the old junkola so you can put it back when you leave.

About 20 years ago an old school gymnasium was being destroyed. In the dumpster I found a beautiful old cast aluminum shower head that weight about 4 pounds and is about 5 inches across...it goes everywhere with me. It must be 75 years old by now.

There is a hint of illegality to these high water flow heads so DON'T talk to your super about it...do it yourself.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 AM

4,912 posts, read 9,719,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There is a hint of illegality to these high water flow heads so DON'T talk to your super about it...do it yourself.
....even though the super did it for his own shower! You KNOW that!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,828,145 times
I definitely have removed the restrictor from shower heads in apartments before

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM

518 posts, read 1,437,409 times
Im glad I stumbled upon this post - my apt has SUPER high pressure in all sinks/toilet but the shower is like an 85 yr old man w/ prostrate trouble - Im talking trickles here folks!

If I replace the shower head - do I need to shut the water off from somewhere? - when I lived in my private home, we used to shut the water main evey time we did any water work, but this seems like something no one should know about...Knowing a smattering about changing pipes, I dont beleive id have to shut the water off since the water has to be directed up into the shower head - so I ASSUME I dont have to be wary of switching out heads - can someone confirm this - just don't want the actual pressure to be gushing out of the shower nozzle as I call the Super

Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,828,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
Im glad I stumbled upon this post - my apt has SUPER high pressure in all sinks/toilet but the shower is like an 85 yr old man w/ prostrate trouble - Im talking trickles here folks!

If I replace the shower head - do I need to shut the water off from somewhere? - when I lived in my private home, we used to shut the water main evey time we did any water work, but this seems like something no one should know about...Knowing a smattering about changing pipes, I dont beleive id have to shut the water off since the water has to be directed up into the shower head - so I ASSUME I dont have to be wary of switching out heads - can someone confirm this - just don't want the actual pressure to be gushing out of the shower nozzle as I call the Super
No. You don't have to turn off the water to replace the shower head.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM

518 posts, read 1,437,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
No. You don't have to turn off the water to replace the shower head.
thanks! didnt think so - but ask now, save myself the hassle

I was thinking of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer gets the Russian circus shower heads for the Elephants....wish I had one of those now....this soft showering is making me cranky

Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM

283 posts, read 879,192 times
Thank You guys VERY MUCH for this info. I think my mode of operation will be to ask the super about getting more water pressure first, as I'm going to be new to the property and it is good to list any problems upon meeting him. If he does nothing for me, then I will either do it myself or hire an independent contractor (who is better w/ house repairs) to come and take care of it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City