Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,232 times

Advertisements

Hi all..

I'am a 23 year old Scottish guy moving to New York in January.Initially i will be coming for 3months on a 90day holiday visa..If i enjoy my time in New York i will be returning to Scotland to get a proper visa so i can come back to New York and work and stay for longer,(i have family in NY state,so i can get sponsored for my visa however this takes a while to come through so that's why i want to go for 90days first to see if i enjoy)..i would like to work when i am here as a way to meet new people and learn different cultures,also because i don't want to just holiday for 3months..i'am looking for info and opinions on how easy it is to pick up casual work in Manhattan in January??I am a fully qualified plumbing and heating engineer but really would be will to do anything..I have enough money saved to come and live without having to work before people start telling me how much is is to live there...This is all about the experience for me...

Any info would be very much appreciated

P.S-please no negative comments..

Thanks

Laird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
You cannot work without the proper work visa.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,232 times
There's millions of people who have settled and working in new york without a proper work visa..I am aware that its not legal..i personaly just want to work cash in hand job and if i enjoy will go back to scotland to apply for the proper work visa

Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM

19 posts, read 37,932 times
You can probably find some odd jobs through craigslist.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laird88 View Post
There's millions of people who have settled and working in new york without a proper work visa..I am aware that its not legal..i personaly just want to work cash in hand job and if i enjoy will go back to scotland to apply for the proper work visa
Enjoy your stay.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 PM

87 posts, read 237,277 times
I hope you don't think the Internet makes you anonymous. CIS (Citizenship & Immigration Services) officials do Google the details of applications they're considering. And violating the terms of your tourist visa (or worse, of a visa waiver) would make you ineligible for readmission.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Seriously though, Ducktales was one of my favorite cartoons. Scrooge Mcduck was a character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City