U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM

64 posts, read 193,067 times

Advertisements

I live in queens and grew up in NY. We are interested in buying at the Dunes in Arverne by the Sea in Far Rockaway. I love that the house is new, large, and affordable. It's the perfect house for me. However, I have a couple of concerns and wondering if you can help me out.

- Finding a good public school. My daughter is 3 year old, and she will need to go to daycare and then elementary school. However, I'm looking at the ratings of schools in the area and they are horrible. They were getting D/F. Anyone know of a good school zoned for Arverne by the Sea? Also, how are the daycares? The private school seems to be too expensive. Around 20k-30k a year.

- Finding a good way to commute. i work in Long Island City and my wife works in chelsea. It seems the only way is the A train. Is that the fastest commute? Also, I hear bad stories about the safety of the A train. How true are they?

- Safety of the neighborhood. I know that the surrounding area isn't that great, but is it safe walking around the blocks surrounding Arverne by the Sea such as going to subway, supermarket, etc. If we have to go far, we can drive.

I like new houses which are affordable. Any other places you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,574,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newy0rker View Post
I live in queens and grew up in NY. We are interested in buying at the Dunes in Arverne by the Sea in Far Rockaway. I love that the house is new, large, and affordable. It's the perfect house for me. However, I have a couple of concerns and wondering if you can help me out.

- Finding a good public school. My daughter is 3 year old, and she will need to go to daycare and then elementary school. However, I'm looking at the ratings of schools in the area and they are horrible. They were getting D/F. Anyone know of a good school zoned for Arverne by the Sea? Also, how are the daycares? The private school seems to be too expensive. Around 20k-30k a year.

- Finding a good way to commute. i work in Long Island City and my wife works in chelsea. It seems the only way is the A train. Is that the fastest commute? Also, I hear bad stories about the safety of the A train. How true are they?

- Safety of the neighborhood. I know that the surrounding area isn't that great, but is it safe walking around the blocks surrounding Arverne by the Sea such as going to subway, supermarket, etc. If we have to go far, we can drive.

I like new houses which are affordable. Any other places you recommend?
Simply put if you choose to live there, then all the issues you list are the price to pay for what you get. Beach front living at a truly affordable price.

Schooling is the number 1 issue virtually anywhere in NYC, Arverne is not different. So, if as a parent you are serious about your child's education then the cost of private school MUST be afforded. Which may make the home you favor less than affordable. You also need to compare schooling cost vs the tax cost of suburban areas with good schools; and/or vs the cost of housing in the few NYC areas with good schools.

In most comparisons you should come out equal, slightly ahead, or the difference to be virtually negligable.

In addition, in Arverne and in other places, the cost of the home is only a partial cost of living in the area. All of the issues you've outlined come with additional cost. The cost of carrying one, probably two cars is a must!.

One could utilize the subway, but that comes with risk. More risk than if one lived in a trendy outer borough neighborhood with a short busy commute. More risk than suburban commuter trains. Far Rockaway and its surrounds is one of the more troubled areas of the city, AND the A train travels the absolute worst neighborhoods of Brooklyn and the city.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM

- Yes, I have to agree with you on the A train. I hear the same things from other people. The other alternative would be to drive to work. Anyone know how is the travel going out of the Far Rockaway in the morning. Since there's only one bridge out, I'm thinking there are delays. Also, we would have to find parking in the city. Driving doesn't seem like a great alternative either.

- Schools are not great compared to private schools, but they seem worst in Far Rockaway. There are some that are outside of Far Rockaway with the same school district, but I'm not sure if those are zoned for Arverne by the Sea. With one kid or 2 kids, private schools are hard to afford.

- Buying a good house is great, but I'm not sure if fearing everytime you walk around the street and commuting on the A train is worth it. Also, the horrible schools is a big negative.

You know any other areas which would be good for our situation?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 52,068 times
newy0rker- If you are not comfortable with the public schools, which many of my neighbors use the public schools and seem perfectly happy with them, than the private schools might be the way for you to go. There are many private schools out there and not all are as expensive as you stated. The nice part about buying at The Dunes in Arverne is the homes are 2 family homes so you will get rental income from a tenant to help pay for private school if that is the route you choose. There is also a 20 year tax abatement so you will save even more by basically not paying real estate taxes.
Regarding commuting to the city, I have taken the A train many times and never had a problem. It is so convenient. I love getting off the subway after a day in the city and seeing the ocean. By the way, Arverne is also getting an express bus to major shopping areas in Queens for more shopping. Watch this ny1 video...
Public Bus Service Comes To Arverne By The Sea - NY1.com

Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM

- Interesting about the A train. I guess that I have to experience it myself. I'll take it in weekdays in the morning and after work, and see how it is. I rode the subway my whole life and haven't had an issue. However, hearing all these stories about passing bad neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Far rockaway, it doesn't sound good.

- Yes the 20 tax abatement is great. Since you live in the area, is it safe walking around the arverne area? Such as going grocery shopping, banking, etc. I don't have to wander far, but it's nice to do some errands walking sometimes, besides driving.

- Do you happen to know which schools your neighbors go to? I'm not uncomfortable with the public schools, but just skeptical looking at the D/F scores on the schools. I'll look into the other private schools and check the costs.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 52,068 times
My neighbors kids go to the public schools. My recommendation to you would be to go to the Arverne sales center on a weekend around lunch time. It becomes sort of a social gathering around that time. Plenty of homeowners pop in to chat and snack. You'll be able to talk to with homeowners and hear their take on the schools.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 PM

67 posts, read 220,271 times
I take the A train everyday and have never had a problem. Like with all NYC subway lines you just need to have common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Furthermore the 67th Street Subway station is currently having stores built around it (incuding a bank) so I don't think that station is a secluded as it used to be. The commute can be long though. I get the A train on the West End of Rockaway and it takes about an hour to Lower Manhattan.

As for taking a walk, there's the boardwalk of course though I would head towards the West (street numbers going up) then down.There's plenty of parks that align the boardwalk onces you get into the 70s-80s.

There is a Stop N Shop that was built in the Arverne by the Sea area. Its really nice. Though for most amenities you'll have to drive.

As for public schools I don't know if you can send your child to PS225 but I heard its doing alot better ever since they restructured it at least the lower grade school. I dont really know how well the public schools below that one is though. There's also St. Rose or St. Camillus.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 AM

21,401 posts, read 28,196,671 times
I am not very familiar with the area but from the above posts it sounds like the area has all the inconveniences of suburban life with none of the perks.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 AM

67 posts, read 220,271 times
The community itself is still a work in progress as they haven't completed some of the phases. The YMCA is currently being built as well as the retail plaza.

From looking on their official website, there also seems to be more retail that will be built in the "Tides" Section and a school in the Dunes

Also as for schools, the website states that the Lawrence-Woodmere Academy provides private bus services for kids in ABTS to their school which is in Nassau and they have a preschool program(15k a year, financial aid available)

Furthermore, when I mentioned Ps225, I failed to realize that when restructured its a new name. Its called the Waterside Studio School now (for lower grades) PS317 (27Q317) - The Waterside Children's Studio School They received an "A" report card.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM

- Since the commute is about an hour and a half to the city, how do parents pickup their kids from school? Schools seem to end at 3pm.

- It seems that sometimes on the A train, there are some seedy characters that are on it. More so than other trains. It's possible because it does pass some bad areas. I rode it as late as 8pm and the train seems to be still with people. Anyone know how late is bad, where train is almost empty?

- There doesn't seem to be any restaurants around the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City