Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM

18 posts, read 57,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
No I didn't get shot or stabbed fortunately, but I knew people who did, and stray bullets came into our apartment on several occasions (we lived right on the first floor). I find it funny how your shrugging off the crack epidemic like it was nothing.
when the crack epidemic was going on i lived in harlem and hung out in the bronx but most of the people we knew getting killed were in drugs. either they were users or drug dealers. wasnt as big a deal as some people make it i used to hang out go to parties go places take the train but even like now i didnt flash my chain and i tried to avoid problems even though sometimes i couldnt and thats no different from any bad neighborhood now. i did have friends who got killed over problems but i still have people i know know loosly and close that die over that from time to time so thats the same story. the last person i know that got killed was shot and killed in the bronx after a fight this spring so the same things happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 02:15 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
Somehoe I suspect the people that NYCTOGO run with in the Bronx are very different from the people that I, or those coming to the forum asking about the Bronx, would associate with....just a hunch. That being said...I think you can avoid 99% of the problems that NYCTOGO talks about by NOT associating with this group.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Somehoe I suspect the people that NYCTOGO run with in the Bronx are very different from the people that I, or those coming to the forum asking about the Bronx, would associate with....just a hunch. That being said...I think you can avoid 99% of the problems that NYCTOGO talks about by NOT associating with this group.
my friend that got killed recently was a good man he was turning his life around but he was killed after a fight he could not avoid and thats what happens in the ghetto. his cousin was getting jumped and he ended up getting shot trying to help him. but getting robbed is different i was walking out someones home in the south bronx and was greeted with a pistol i am glad he didnt take my keys or i was in for the long haul on the train just took my money and my phone. i think you should watch what you say though becuase i got robbed in the crappy area you are trying to sell on here.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:27 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Stuff does still happen in the ghetto. The ghetto mentality never changes. The difference between NYC now and the 70/80's is that today there are less ghetto's in the city. The crime is coming from less places, and as a result crime is lower. The crack epidemic is the other difference. Back then you had crews killing each other for turf. Also alot of users died of overdosage. Then you had the empty buildings and such. But if you walk through Mott Haven at 2 am in the morning you are not anymore safe then you were 20 years ago. Those areas are still bad. Nowadays, deaths are caused for no reason. You shove somebody, step on them, look at them wrong, girlffriend stuff ......the ghettos are the ghettos.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:37 PM

SuperMario I agree with your first statement but disagree wholeheartedly with your second statement. You are IMMENSELY safer walking through Mott Haven at 2am today than you were 20 years ago. What are you basing this statement on exactly? When was the last time you actually walked around Mott Haven? And for that matter...did you ever walk around in Mott Haven at 2am ever?

I can tell you I have and there is a PROFOUND difference from now and 20 years ago. I feel FAR safer..as there are far more people around, there are no more abandoned shells on every block hiding who knows what, there are street lights that work, and business that remain open 24hours. SuperMario you are way wrong...the difference is night and day.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Stuff does still happen in the ghetto. The ghetto mentality never changes. The difference between NYC now and the 70/80's is that today there are less ghetto's in the city. The crime is coming from less places, and as a result crime is lower. The crack epidemic is the other difference. Back then you had crews killing each other for turf. Also alot of users died of overdosage. Then you had the empty buildings and such. But if you walk through Mott Haven at 2 am in the morning you are not anymore safe then you were 20 years ago. Those areas are still bad. Nowadays, deaths are caused for no reason. You shove somebody, step on them, look at them wrong, girlffriend stuff ......the ghettos are the ghettos.
yea you nailed it on the head perfectly thats exactly how i feel too. how they going to tell me how it was i lived it.
Quote:
SuperMario I agree with your first statement but disagree wholeheartedly with your second statement. You are IMMENSELY safer walking through Mott Haven at 2am today than you were 20 years ago. What are you basing this statement on exactly? When was the last time you actually walked around Mott Haven? And for that matter...did you ever walk around in Mott Haven at 2am ever?

I can tell you I have and there is a PROFOUND difference from now and 20 years ago. I feel FAR safer..as there are far more people around, there are no more abandoned shells on every block hiding who knows what, there are street lights that work, and business that remain open 24hours. SuperMario you are way wrong...the difference is night and day.
your wrong i agree with him. i used to be in mott haven with my people back in the 80s and we used to be out all night. we used to do graffiti drink go to parties and fight when it got to that we were young the ghetto you know how it is. in mott haven back in the 80s there were working street lights and 24 hour businesses but not much like bodegas i dont know what your talking about. today its the same you have street lights and a few 24 hour bodegas and check cashing places like back then. and what do abandoned buildings have to do with anyone hiding anything people will hide easy in a lobby of a regular building too. when im out there now at night its still the same i see people hanging out in front of their buildings usually selling and on the corners ghetto kids in little groups walking around at night. feels a lot the same.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:07 PM

NYCTOGO I cannot read your posts...they are too difficult/time intensive to understand. I got as far "i used to be in mott haven with my people" and that was more than enough for me. If anyone would like to translate or add any rules of grammar, logic, complete thoughts to his posts that would be helpful.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Oh come on now. Is real estate selling that slowly in Mott Haven that people cannot state what has happened to them over there? As soon as someone post anything that doesn't paint a rosy picture of this area you're on the attack. How do we know that you or guywithacause was not the same person as Hustla debating with yourselves to draw attention to the area.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-14-2008 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: I assure they are not.. we have ways of checking

Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Oh come on now. Is real estate selling that slowly in Mott Haven that people cannot state what has happened to them over there? As soon as someone post anything that doesn't paint a rosy picture of this area you're on the attack. How do we know that you or guywithacause was not the same person as Hustla718 debating with yourselves to draw attention to the area.
Hmmm, because I have a different IP address and the moderators can see that. I also do not live in the Bronx, although it fascinates me to know more about it, but I live on the Upper West Side. I posted some photos of my apartment views on the New York Photo section. Go check it out for some proof.

But sorry about pointing out that Hustla718 wrote similar to what nyctogo writes. It does.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:23 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
NYCTOGO I cannot read your posts...they are too difficult/time intensive to understand. I got as far "i used to be in mott haven with my people" and that was more than enough for me. If anyone would like to translate or add any rules of grammar, logic, complete thoughts to his posts that would be helpful.
cold as ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City