Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM

122 posts, read 479,307 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Vehicle smash and grabs are a big problem in large cities. Police advise to remove from sight anything that might attract a thief, or better yet, remove anything valuable from your car and take it with you. Here's the problem, what do you do when you take all necessary precautions, but you still end up having your car smashed into on a repeated basis? Would you ever resort to just leaving your car unlocked so that thieves can freely check the contents of your vehicle? At least this way you avoid getting your window smashed and not having to shell out $100+ for a replacement. Too drastic a measure?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:50 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
Hello,

Vehicle smash and grabs are a big problem in large cities. Police advise to remove from sight anything that might attract a thief, or better yet, remove anything valuable from your car and take it with you. Here's the problem, what do you do when you take all necessary precautions, but you still end up having your car smashed into on a repeated basis? Would you ever resort to just leaving your car unlocked so that thieves can freely check the contents of your vehicle? At least this way you avoid getting your window smashed and not having to shell out $100+ for a replacement. Too drastic a measure?

Thanks
Stick a pit-bull infected with rabies in the back seat. Just watch your hands when you shove em in there.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:10 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
Hello,

Thanks
But if you leave the car door unlocked, wouldn't that invite a car thief to not steal the contents of the car, but actually steal the car itself? A car thief probably wouldn't break the car window GTA4 style then open the car door to steal the car, but if it were unlocked they can open it right up then hotwire it then drive off. No car thief wants to break a car window because that'd attract attention to them as they drive off in it.

It seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I think it's still better to lock the car.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
s06

105 posts, read 256,365 times
In my opinion, the only thing you can do is try not to park in poor neighborhoods, nor live in them, and make sure you have a newer vehicle that has an alarm.

My father's two vehicles were stolen in the same poor neighborhood, in the south, at least a decade apart, and they were old vehicles that didn't have alarms. He'd always locked them and didn't leave any valuables inside, but this didn't matter- The theives still broke in with tools. I don't think they'd smashed any windows to break in. The police found the vehicles stripped of the stereos, and T.V. and video game system that was built into the old van.

The first vehicle was stolen outside our apartment. After that, my father put a red and black bar onto the steering wheel, which is supposed to prevent theives from driving the vehicle. I'd imagine that they're still sold at auto stores.

I think it's rotten that the theives decided to steal my father's old cars. He couldn't afford a new vehicle at the time and was the only driver in our household. It didn't help my parent's relationship.

Luckily, and ironically, even though my father still works in the same, poor neighborhood, his new car hasn't been stolen.

Last edited by s06; 12-07-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s06 View Post
In my opinion, the only thing you can do is try not to park in poor neighborhoods, nor live in them, and make sure you have a newer vehicle that has an alarm.

My father's two vehicles were stolen in the same poor neighborhood, at least a decade apart, and they were old vehicles that didn't have alarms. He'd always locked them and didn't leave any valuables inside, but this didn't matter- The theives still broke in with tools. I don't think they'd smashed any windows to break in. The police found the vehicles stripped of the stereos, and T.V. and video game system that was built into the old van.

After the first vehicle was stolen, my father put a red and black bar onto the steering wheel, which is supposed to prevent theives from driving the vehicle. I'd imagine that they're still sold at auto stores.

I think it's rotten that the theives decided to steal my father's old cars. He couldn't afford a new vehicle at the time, was the only driver in our household, and it didn't help my parent's relationship.

Luckily, even though my father still works in the same, poor neighborhood, his new car hasn't been stolen.
I don't know what "poor neighborhoods" have to with this.In my "poor" Bronx neighborhood this isn't a significant problem.My friends who live in decidedly not "poor " neighborhoods in other parts of the city have their cars broken into constantly.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
My neighborhood isn't poor at all, but there have been a couple instances where I have walked and seen a row of cars with the back window bashed in. Once was right after Irene, where I think a thief just took advantage knowing people weren't around/outside.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
I have a convertible, so the door lock ain't going to do squat, except get my top cut. The car is left open and empty. I've had stuff stolen from it when I left it there (a case of Coke once -- the soda, not the powder, a calculator) but that's it. Usually when I take the car in I park in a garage, though.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
It really depends much on the car, parking situation, and to some degree neighborhood, but the degree to which a street is busy, in my experience. I have never had a window smashed, or anything stolen from a vehicle when I parked on the street, with the caveat that I also do not tend to leave a car on the street for too long, and check on it at least daily if there is a reason why I have to leave it out of a garage. I have had property damage from vandals, though, including having a mirror smashed and knocked off the vehicle (on the sidewalk side - so it wasn't a passing car) on Madison Avenue in the mid-80s, which is hardly a dangerous area.

Then again, I have known people who have had cars smashed, including the neighbor of a relative of mine that I know whose car I was walking past on a busy street at about 7pm one winter evening with the alarm sounding. His passenger window was smashed, and I went over to their building and had the doorman call him to come down to the car. He had parked it on the street about ten minutes before I was passing, and was going out again in twenty minutes, but left a rather expensive leather jacket on the passenger's seat. It was a crime of opportunity, nothing more, and a late-model Audi with interior sensor alarm did little to prevent the window being smashed and jacket stolen. I think he was more upset about the jacket than the window, probably because he was kicking himself for forgetting it on the seat.

Generally, it is best to garage a car, especially if it is newer, and/or in pristine condition because the roads are hard on cars in the city, with the worst -- absolute worst -- offenders being those who do not know how to properly park or gauge spacial relationships and proceed to smash into your car as some sort of bumper guide.

An alarm and Lo-Jack are good deterrents, but if you are dealing with a professional thief who wants your car, there is little that can be done when it is in a vulnerable location, such as a city street. A commercial garage is also insured, and if your car is missing while in their care, i.e., stolen, there are areas of redress that you would not have on the street. However, even with a garaged car, I would limit the amount of property left in the car. I do not, for example, leave quarters in the car, even in the glove compartment, but keep them in a tote bag that always leaves the car with me when it is parked for the evening. At a daily garage, I will keep the bag locked in the trunk and give the attendant a valet key, but I do not provide a means of opportunity for anything to be missing from the vehicle, even if the garage only has the valet key when the vehicle is parked for a longer term, since it's not impossible to clone keys. I also remove my EZ Pass and vehicle documentation: registration, insurance card, etc. from the car. I don't even leave a cell phone charger exposed when the car is parked on the street, which may be why I have not had too many problems, but if the opportunity presents itself, i.e., there is something of interest, you never know what may happen to the vehicle, so it's best to think carefully and deliberately when leaving the car, so as to minimize any potential exposure when parking.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't know what "poor neighborhoods" have to with this.In my "poor" Bronx neighborhood this isn't a significant problem.My friends who live in decidedly not "poor " neighborhoods in other parts of the city have their cars broken into constantly.
It actually happens more often in the nicer parts of the city.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
I don't know a heck of a lot about cars, but don't they have something where you can remove the car radio/dvd/satellite thingy and take it with you so if someone breaks into your car they've wasted their time? Or at least they used to have that for car tape decks. Wow, I'm getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City