U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,295 times

Advertisements

HI EVERYONE, PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME ..MYSELF AND 2 FRIENDS ARE MOVING TO NEW YORK BEGINING OF OCTOBER. HAVE NEVER BEEN SO ITS ALL PRETTY SCARY AND NEW... WE WERE HOPING 2 GET JOBS DOIN BASICALLY ANYTHING WITHIN REASON !! i'm a beauty therapist and the other two were thinking bout waitressing???NONE OF US HAVE VISA SO WE ARE HOPING THAT WE WILL BE OK?? DONT KNOW WAT AREA EITHER FRIENDS HAVE TOLD US 2 HEAD TO YONKERS OR IRISH AREA IN QUEENS. AS YOU CAN SEE WE REALLY HAVENT A CLUE BOUT ANY OF THIS ANY INFO BOUT ACCOMADATION ,JOBS AREAS ETC WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 PM

563 posts, read 1,595,235 times
A very good idea would be to head over to Woodlawn in the Bronx, which goes right into Yonkers. The area has a very nice concentration of Irish folks, many of them immigrants from Ireland as well. Most immigrants from the country who come to the outer boroughs usually wind up in Woodlawn. You'd probably love it.

I hate wikipedia, but for some additional information: Woodlawn, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-29-2007, 04:13 PM

314 posts, read 381,269 times
woodlawn is good advice. so, is yonkers. look on mclean ave. or on the streets that are up the hill. you don't want to stray past 87 in yonkers. not irish, and not a good neighborhood. having said all of that....please move to hell's kitchen. the outsiders call it 'clinton' these days. i would LOVE to see 3 irish girls living and working in hells kitchen again. i'd come to the bar, just to see you. if you moved to hells kitchen, you'd be helping restore the neighborhood in ways that you're probably not aware of.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,200,407 times
Yeah right, there's been next to no Irish people in Hells Kitchen in 40 years. 3 Irish girls aren't going to turn that around.

Woodlawn is the best choice for you girls. Woodside in Queens is also another option, but I don't think that many Irish are moving there anymore. That area of Queens has become really popular with Asians (Chinese, Phillipinos, Indians) and I'm told its not nearly as Irish as it used to be.

jojoC00, I'll be sending you a PM with some info shortly.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,029,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoC00 View Post
NONE OF US HAVE VISA SO WE ARE HOPING THAT WE WILL BE OK??
You'll be ok if the feds don't find you, so here are your options.

If you plan to live in the US the legal way:

Immigrant Visas - U.S. Embassy Dublin, Ireland

Overstay the 90-day leisure limit and become a criminal:

Non-Immigrant Visa Waiver Program (copy) - U.S. Embassy Dublin, Ireland

"Any person who has overstayed the 90-day authorized stay for whatever reason, is no longer eligible to travel on the VWP. Visitors admitted to the United States under the VWP may remain for a maximum of 90 days. This 90-day period cannot be extended nor is an adjustment of status to a different category permitted, no matter how compelling or legitimate the circumstances."

Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM

201 posts, read 777,636 times
Yes...roll out the red carpet for the 3 unemployed girls from Ireland...with no Visas and who will take work doing 'anything'.....after you totally trashed the college educated, hard-working single mother of two who was just looking for a little helpful advice.

Gotta love New Yorkers.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 PM

43 posts, read 80,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoC00 View Post
HI EVERYONE, PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME ..MYSELF AND 2 FRIENDS ARE MOVING TO NEW YORK BEGINING OF OCTOBER. HAVE NEVER BEEN SO ITS ALL PRETTY SCARY AND NEW... WE WERE HOPING 2 GET JOBS DOIN BASICALLY ANYTHING WITHIN REASON !! i'm a beauty therapist and the other two were thinking bout waitressing???NONE OF US HAVE VISA SO WE ARE HOPING THAT WE WILL BE OK?? DONT KNOW WAT AREA EITHER FRIENDS HAVE TOLD US 2 HEAD TO YONKERS OR IRISH AREA IN QUEENS. AS YOU CAN SEE WE REALLY HAVENT A CLUE BOUT ANY OF THIS ANY INFO BOUT ACCOMADATION ,JOBS AREAS ETC WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

An early welcome to America....While researching info for our daughter's wedding which was an Irish theme (based on the claddaugh), found this great resource in NY for the Irish communities in the city:

Services Provided by the New York Irish Center

Just copy and paste this site into your address bar, (if clicking on it doesn't work) and see if that they can help!
And if I were you, I'd contact them before you move to the states to find out where you could get all of the legal info straightened out and possibly some housing and job leads!

Good luck to you all.....and always remember: There are 2 kinds of people in this world, the Irish, and those who wish they were!

Last edited by momgonenutzinmem; 08-29-2007 at 05:31 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,200,407 times
Oh stop, you people don't know what you are talking about.

Nobody is ever picked up for overstaying the 90 day visa waiver unless they've commited some horrible crime. We've got 10-20 million illegal immigrants in this country, many of whom can't speak English and are in violent criminal gangs. You really think the government is concerned with 3 Irish ladies coming over here?

I don't see anyone on here complaining about all of the illegal Asians and Hispanics in NYC.

How about all of the Mexicans working at your local restaurants, coffee shops, and stores? Do you think they are here legally?

The staff at your local ethnic restaurant, whether it be Chinese, Mexican, Indian, Thai, etc. Do you think they are here legally?

NEWSFLASH: ALL OF THESE PEOPLE ARE HERE ILLEGALLY! And yet, do they have any trouble going about their daily business? Of course not.

If you want to condemn illegal Irish then you better condemn the other half a million illegal immigrants (at the very minimum) who are living in New York City. Why is there a double standard when it comes to the Irish?

Last edited by mead; 08-29-2007 at 06:03 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 05:54 PM

563 posts, read 1,595,235 times
Well said Mead.

Past history says that if these girls want to come to this country illegally, they can do it and be successful at it, as well. We have 12 million illegal Mexicans in America, why is it so wrong when three Irish girls want to come in?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:06 PM

479 posts, read 792,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Yes...roll out the red carpet for the 3 unemployed girls from Ireland...with no Visas and who will take work doing 'anything'.....after you totally trashed the college educated, hard-working single mother of two who was just looking for a little helpful advice.

Gotta love New Yorkers.
Agreed. you gotta love the irony though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or