Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 AM

349 posts, read 861,484 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on what to do while we are there? Interested in Rock n roll history, Italian Mafia/Mob, and awesome vegan food. We will be there from the 24th to the 27th... hoping there will be some good vegan places open to eat while we are there. Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,190,621 times
I've never heard of an entire vegan family before. That's gotta be tough.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,557,197 times
Vegan**Restaurants - New York City, Menus, Ratings, Reviews, NYC - MenuPages Restaurant Search

Awesome and vegan in the same sentence? Whatever floats your boat.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I've never heard of an entire vegan family before. That's gotta be tough.
lol, nope- it's actually extremely easy when everyone under the roof is doing it.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Vegan**Restaurants - New York City, Menus, Ratings, Reviews, NYC - MenuPages Restaurant Search

Awesome and vegan in the same sentence? Whatever floats your boat.
yes! awesome and vegan (especially food) go hand in hand : )

i have to admit that i wasn't a huge fan in the beginning (mainly because i had no idea what i was doing) and that the thought of animal suffering was what kept me going. but now that our tastes have changed- it is the best thing i have ever done with my life. i have never felt this good, and have never been so excited about food.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:20 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,286,169 times
I usually have no issues with better Italian restaurants as they will customize to one's dietary palate. For some awesome vegan pizza, I would go to Pala, which is on Allen Street, just south of Houston. It's not far from Moby's TeaNY, which has some fantastic vegan desserts, not to mention a cafe menu. While both have vegetarian selections, there are vegan options available as well, which is a plus for me. A true Neopolitan pizza restaurant, like Totonno's, will have cheese-less pizzas on the menu, though they may not have alternative cheeses if you like a pizza with cheese on it. Pizza is a safe food, too, because many places will customize, and are aware of what they put in the crust, since you're not dealing with a chain that puts cheese in every crust.

Most restaurants have not posed a problem for me, even with allergies to dairy and other things, since when made aware of specialty requirements, the chef can usually create something vegan, off-menu. It's the neighborhood type, pub, sort of restaurants that are problematic as they have limited scope, and hire cooks as opposed to chefs, so off-menu experimentation is not likely to happen. Candle 79 is a great restaurant to consider, and for a quick bite on the go, the Candle Cafe is also worth a visit.

Pure Food and Wine is a great place to consider, as well, on Irving street.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-15-2011, 12:36 PM

47 posts, read 143,273 times
The idea of "non-touristy" is amusing to me. You're from out of town. You're tourists. Embrace it.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,187,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
Any ideas on what to do while we are there? Interested in Rock n roll history, Italian Mafia/Mob, and awesome vegan food. We will be there from the 24th to the 27th... hoping there will be some good vegan places open to eat while we are there. Thanks for any information.
When did "Italian Mafia/Mob" become a tourist attraction? What is there to see? Are you going to stand outside Spark's Steak House, take a picture and caption it with, "This is where John Gotti had Paulie Castellano whacked!" You're a tourist. Do touristy stuff like the Empire State Building, Central Park, etc.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,033,101 times
I've been a vegetarian myself for many years. My favorite vegetarian/vegan restaurant in the city is Red Bamboo (click here for reviews) located at 140 West 4th Street in the Village. I recommend the soul chicken sandwich. You can get some great deals if you go during lunch time and order their lunch specials. Consult their website for menu, hours, directions, etc.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,492,263 times
I was actually going to mention Red Bamboo myself. I've been there quite a few times and have never been disappointed. Another good option is Pukk, at 1st Ave and 4th St. They're Thai vegetarian food, with a lot of vegan options as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City