U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,756,539 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I work in the South Bronx and noticed that the land from 149th Street going south toward the Bruckner is heavily developed with housing projects. I was wondering what was there before the projects were developed. Was it tenement housing? Industrial?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 AM

2,489 posts, read 1,748,488 times
Good question, would love to know the answer.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM

5,475 posts, read 4,925,866 times
My guess is crowded slums.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:35 PM

8,460 posts, read 7,634,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Hi,
I work in the South Bronx and noticed that the land from 149th Street going south toward the Bruckner is heavily developed with housing projects. I was wondering what was there before the projects were developed. Was it tenement housing? Industrial?

Thanks.
As a mott haven resident and a historian I had found out that many of the housing projects used to tenement slums where mostly Irish and s minority of Italians and puerto ricans lived. I had posted photos of mott haven of the 1950s and the place looked disgusting. Only Mitchell housing used to be row of brownstoned and three story walksups along Alexander avenue but Robert moses knocked those down aswell. The slums was eradicated to make way for ghetto and highcrime area's of the neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:49 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,474,349 times
Bronxguayanese so now you are an historian? You don't even make sense: "the slums were eradicated to make way for ghetto and hight crime area's of the neighborhood." Are you saying the slums were demolished to make way for slums? Because that is what a ghetto/high crime area is.

I don't even understand that sentence. The Bronx was called the "Wild West" long before any brown or black people stepped foot in it, and it wasn't because the Irish and Jews at the time were spending all day at Church. It had high poverty then, and it has it now...except now it's mostly brown/blacks with better housing.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 10,127 times
It's hard to say by specific block, but there's a pretty good history of the area on wikipedia - Mott Haven, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Flashback: The Bronx Slums, 1950s: Gothamist

Here's a link to your answers about mott haven prior to the construction of pj's. Even then mott haven was a troubled place with countless other social ills. I knew some Irish folks who used to live in mott haven and they too used to do get into all sorts of trouble. Prohibition era of mott haven is just as bad as crack cocaine era of mott haven. Germans, Irish replaced them, puerto ricans replaced the Irish and now puerto ricans are being replaced by Dominicans and Mexicans. How do I know this? The Catholic church in the area told me about congregations of the past and what ethnic groups lived in the area. Sadly enough the churches send their money to Rome instead of helping mott haven to the fullest.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM

There is a synagogue still left on Beekman Ave. A reminder of Mott Haven's jewish past.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
There is a synagogue still left on Beekman Ave. A reminder of Mott Haven's jewish past.
Is that synagogue in working operation? I know about Puerto Rican Jews. Religously Mott Haven has been Catholic for the past century, Catholics tend to be be poor also. RC in Mott Haven never declined due to immigrants and locals for the past hundred years unlike JEwish areas of the city whos congregation declined due to worshippers leaving the area, recently this phenomenom is happening in Harlem and other black areas of the city where worshippers in Protestant churchs declined due to outmigration. One thing always fascinated me that Mott Haven has been a Catholic stronghold for a century and some change.

Mott Haven has alot of history some of it did not shape the city but much of it helped shaped this country like the coal burning oven which was invented in Mott Haven, sadly much residents around here dont know this.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Is that synagogue in working operation?
The building looks very well kept, it's been a synagogue atleast since late 80's.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 12-16-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City