U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,649,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Where is it possible to find the 2010 census demographics for each NYC neighborhood?
I listed a whole bunch of resources in this thread: Sites With Interesting Demographic Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 PM

7,142 posts, read 11,862,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
This is tounge-in -check not a flame. My sample is only wandering around with my 11 yr old daughter and sometimes 19yr old son. We are white my son is Hispanic. This is not statistically significant and anecdotal evidence is inherently unreliable.

We spent a week going through Corona Queens each day and night as well as a few hours walking through Ebbets Field area of Brooklyn and 180th street western areas of Bronx.

Smiling or saying "Hi" to a whilte person was often ignored- maybe 40% of time unless they were tourists and then they would chat. This never happened with the many Blacks Hispanics and to a lesser extent Asians that we talked to. Blacks and Hispanics would often initiate conversations.

Many years ago I grew up in NYC and left in 1969. As a young white person I was told people who look you in the eye may be crazy as would any who talked to you. Maybe at one time this was true.
It would be interesting to know the circumstances in which you smiled and said hi to people and the overtures were ignored.

Also, it sounds like you encountered quite a few tourists. Which of the three neighborhoods you mentioned (Corona, Ebbets Field, 180th St./Bronx) did you find all the tourists in? None of these seems like an area that normally attracts a lot of tourists.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,711,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Could you post a link to the data that supports this claim ?
New York City loses about 300,00-400,000 white residents every decade, even today when many other major cities have had their white populations stabilize [Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, even Chicago] or increase [Atlanta, Washington D.C], New York continues to see massive White Flight. Obviously many of them are not happy here and I don't blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Actually, black and Hispanic do sometimes correlate with each other hence Afro-Puerto Ricans, Afro-Dominicans etc.
But what abut the White hispanics? I'm a White Hispanic, and so are many of my friends. Italian-Puerto Rican, Greek-Ecuadorian etc. In my neighborhood, White and Hispanic couples are a very common sight, I see them even more then actual white couples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
Can't speak for any other culture, but, as a black man, we give each other the "black man nod" when we see each other walking down the street. We don't have to know each other, it's just understood, an "I see and recognize you brother" kind of thing. hispanics do it to a lesser extent(based on my experience), and white people don't do it at all. Not sure why..

Italians tend to do it [to some extent].

Last edited by DoomDan515; 12-20-2011 at 10:49 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,788,844 times
White and polite. That's me.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 PM

8,466 posts, read 7,652,863 times
Quote:
Can't speak for any other culture, but, as a black man, we give each other the "black man nod" when we see each other walking down the street. We don't have to know each other, it's just understood, an "I see and recognize you brother" kind of thing. hispanics do it to a lesser extent(based on my experience), and white people don't do it at all. Not sure why..
Lol a blackman nod wtf. Yo everyone in nyc does a nod especially us locals.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 AM

65 posts, read 74,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
i never understood why you consider someone your brother just because you got the same skin color, thats just plain stupid
Oh, brother.

It's just a term of endearment; don't take it so offensively. Besides, that term is more commonly used among older generation folks; and I've heard it used by, and towards, whites on a few occasions. Younger folks just say "man" or "son".

Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 AM

2,900 posts, read 4,675,104 times
Quote:
That's weird. I grew up white too and was taught something very different.I was taught that if a person DIDN'T look you in the eye they were shifty and untrustworthy.Can't imagine being taught not to look people in the eye.
She is talking about encountering people on the street.

It is a common viewpoint that NYers don't look people in the eye on the street/subway etc.

Transplants have discussed this as a survival technique in this forum!!

There is some strain of thought out there that to eyeball someone is perceived as a challenge.

The OP is talking about survival technique, NOT how to succed in business!

Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,261,217 times
Quote:
white people don't do it at all. Not sure why..
Stiff necks... In my case I lack the dancing gene and got stuck with two left feet.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I definately think this is part of the equation. I had read at some point that as people move up the economic ladder and move to wealthier neighborhoods, they often end up leading more isolated lives.
Certainly true, being poor is much more of a communal experience. People can't afford much space, so they are forced to share space and resources. The poor are far more interdependant.

Wealth and isolation can be translated as being able to afford SPACE! Personal space which will not be trespassed upon. Also, one has more personal resources and is in less need to make use of the resource of others. Less interdependence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
You would think it is the opposite. More money should equal more disposable income to get out of the house and enjoy life. Maybe that's just me.
You are looking at it wrong. I believe you are thinking like shut-ins.

Think crowded working class tenament building neighborhood, or a yuppie tower on the UWS. Fairly crowded conditions no matter how you look at it, all stacked on top one another. Shared resources, elevator, stairs, lobby, *common* space, etc.

Now think dropping 4 or 5 million for 5 acres in Bedford, NY. In this case, you've got acres to roam with no one but yourself, air to breathe, SPACE. Your resources are your own, you need only share the common road.

Consequently, as a wealthy person, you are more isolated from your neighbors. You can travel to and fro w/o coming into physical contact, and when you must come into contact it is far more manageable.

For example, during my time in Tampa and other parts of Florida, I did not come into contact with anyone I did not want to. I seldomly saw my neighbors, moving from apt/house to car to parking lot to building, and back again. It is the same for almost every pursuit and endeavor, from dinner to grocery shopping.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
How do you know ?
Gosh, all of this non-communication.

The brother did not express himself precisely.

What he meant is that when blacks are out and about, specifically when they are in majorily non-black circumstances (which is ALWAYS the situation outside of a black neighborhood), particularly in majorily white circumstances, blacks will ALWAYS as a matter of course, acknowledge other blacks. ALWAYS!

Why?

Simple, because we are always outnumbered and always outgunned. It is our natural state in America.

Also, in many instances, this acknowledgment is part recognition of a fellow of one's social class. Being a black in many social, economic and business settings the only other black(s) about (usually just one or two) will share a common social and economic status. Its like visiting Mars and coming across another Earthling. You are certain to acknowledge one another, if nothing else.

Whites, in contrast, do not act, generally, as a matter of course, in this circumstancial manner. The simple difference is that the circumstance, for whites, is rarely a matter of pure race.

For example, how often does a lone white find themselves in a room of 100 blacks and/or other minorities?

Blacks find themselves in the opposite circumstance too often for comfort, hence the common acknowledgment. Sometimes it is a 'glad to see you brother' nod, other times it is a 'way to go, keep up the good work' nod, sometimes it is a simple, 'keep the faith' nod. You'll also note, unless they know one another, the blacks will stay far apart. Other than the nod, the won't acknowledge each other. (Of course, there is always a knucklehead.)

Got it? So, that is how he knows. We all know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City