U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,115,427 times

Advertisements

^^^ Easy. Lets say if you went to NYU Law. And you majored in Financial Law. When they graduate, these guys are in line for jobs making about 120k a year. Crazy. but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM

3,424 posts, read 6,575,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^^ Easy. Lets say if you went to NYU Law. And you majored in Financial Law. When they graduate, these guys are in line for jobs making about 120k a year. Crazy. but true.
I think Rachel means undergrad! And with law school, only grads in a two 5 or 10 school get those Cravath, Paul Weiss and Skadden jobs...very few outside of Top 5 or 10 get those!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM

563 posts, read 1,621,720 times
Quote:
You're right. That is life in this city. Bay Ridge is a perfect example. It was and still is a strong Italian nabe. Now there are a lot of Arabs moving in some parts and you hear people call it "Beirut". People just don't like change. NYC is a city of mostly ethnic and economic nabes. When someone who is an "outsider" moves in, the historical population either protest or usually move out.
Beiruit is a pretty big city. You bring up New York, London, Paris, and eventually, you bring up Beiruit. It's the equivalence of Paris, only in the Middle East. That's what got it the nickname "Paris of the Middle East"!

Anyway, Arabs have been living in Bay Ridge for 30 years, maybe earlier if you count the 19th/early 20th century immigrants. It hasn't changed the neighborhood from being an Italian/Irish one.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM

214 posts, read 937,233 times
I don't know about the financial sector, but being in technology, some companies like Google would pay well above $80k (roughly the same for both their Manhattan and Silicon Valley offices) for an entry-level fresh college graduate for new software engineers.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM

^^^ really? I'm in the wrong field..

Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Beiruit is a pretty big city. You bring up New York, London, Paris, and eventually, you bring up Beiruit. It's the equivalence of Paris, only in the Middle East. That's what got it the nickname "Paris of the Middle East"!

Anyway, Arabs have been living in Bay Ridge for 30 years, maybe earlier if you count the 19th/early 20th century immigrants. It hasn't changed the neighborhood from being an Italian/Irish one.
I know, but I personally know of people who moved out of Bay Ridge because they feel it have become too "Arabic".

Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 AM

214 posts, read 937,233 times
Quote:
^^^ really? I'm in the wrong field..
I guess there's a reason why they were voted top company to work for in fortune magazine. I don't work there, but I know people that do, and the $80k starting salary is not even the beginning of how good they treat their engineers.

Some of my friends (yes, most of them might be considered yuppies) who work in tech divisions of investment banks make a starting salary of slightly less at around $60k, but catch up with insultingly large bonuses.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:20 AM

563 posts, read 1,621,720 times
It's kind of funny how that works. Based on studies I've done, a lot of Arabs came to America before most Irish and Italians did, but recent immigration from the gulf has pinned an image that all Arabs are Muslims and immigrants and I hate it.

I'm of Lebanese descent. Can someone please tell me what it is about Arab-Americans that most people tend to not like? It bothers me a great deal.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:26 AM

203 posts, read 793,238 times
Guywithacause.....

You should copy your comments to every thread on this forum because you're absolutely right....especially the last two paragraphs.

Very well stated!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak

I'm of Lebanese descent. Can someone please tell me what it is about Arab-Americans that most people tend to not like? It bothers me a great deal.
Simple. 9-11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or