Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times

Advertisements

[quote=straightshooter;1434488]that about sumed it up. those 'men' who let that lady get punched by that drunkard on the train were yuppies. after the fact all full of, 'my God; i can't believe he did that', 'you should totally call the police', and 'are you ok' comments. no action, mind you...just pu$$y male talk. maybe one or two postured after the fact....you know the type....'yo; if that was me i would have....' also, takes them longer to get ready to go out than their girlfriends. worried about whether they should wear the chartruese sweater with the brown or black sandals. finally, always talking about how much they 'make', where they 'went to school', what frat they pledged, and all the wild and crazy $hit they did there. dispicable breed.[/qu

I think you are describing the term metrosexual and not yuppie, or maybe they are one in the same, not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
KHMH...I also recall in the news a few weeks ago a woman was being brutally attacked and raped in the hallway of her building. She banged on doors for help but nobody would answer....some people came out to the hallway, watched the attack....but subsequently went back into their apts...nobody called the police. And these were all people of color....hmm....so let's not isolate the "yuppy" as what "men" have become...because it is what society is breeding. Whether they are wears abercrombie or Sean John....both groups acted the same...

Old 09-24-2007, 08:06 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah I think that on the whole there is too much tolerance of this type of cr@p in this area. It cuts across racial and economic lines.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,873 times
Gentrification creates resentment in residents usually due to historical entitlement. People grow accustomed to living a certain lifestyle and gentrification (not just yuppies) change this. It should be noted that only those who are renting in these areas are negativly impacted. Those that own often see their property values skyrocket. This entire process, however, is due to supply and demand. The more people desire to live in a particualr neighborhood the less affordable the entire island becomes. New York continues to be the cultural and economic capitol of te world's most powerful country. While some people may contest NYC's rank globally, this fact alone draws millions to NY. You get what you pay for, and no other city has the amenities equal to Manhattan. Period. I like what others have said about change in NY, as the city has, historically, always reinvented itself. This is a positive thing people.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Gentrification creates resentment in residents usually due to historical entitlement. People grow accustomed to living a certain lifestyle and gentrification (not just yuppies) change this. It should be noted that only those who are renting in these areas are negativly impacted. Those that own often see their property values skyrocket. This entire process, however, is due to supply and demand. The more people desire to live in a particualr neighborhood the less affordable the entire island becomes. New York continues to be the cultural and economic capitol of te world's most powerful country. While some people may contest NYC's rank globally, this fact alone draws millions to NY. You get what you pay for, and no other city has the amenities equal to Manhattan. Period. I like what others have said about change in NY, as the city has, historically, always reinvented itself. This is a positive thing people.
Quite true--I get a good giggle when some folks claim that all the middle class are fleeing the city, and only the poor are replacing them.

Home ownership, as you say, is a great hedge against the vagaries of the real estate and rental market. Renting in this city is, for many, a losing proposition. Only their landlords get rich--landlords who bought buildings for a song and have sicne lived to reap huge profits.

Some become landlords by buying two family houses in cheaper areas and renting out to cover mortgage expenses. Risky, but potentially very profitable.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:07 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Lots of posters here hurl the word "yuppie" around in a perjorative way. How do you define a yuppie? Are they all scum?
That is like asking....Is everyone named Elvira scum??

Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 AM

Not to mention Elvira is not my real name...

Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Although there is a middle class squeeze going on everywhere, not just the city, the middle class is adapting, as they always have. Many are leaving, no doubt, but there are also many that refuse to leave. They are moving to neighborhoods that were once "off limits," bringing new life to these areas. They are also considering differnt living arrangements, including roommate situations, or partnering with other to buy a property that they can all share and live in.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 AM

I often say to my b/f that long time NY'ers are kinda like cockroaches. Those little critters have been around long before we have, and nothing, not even a nuclear attack, will likely prevent them from surviving.

It's a gross analogy, but like diehard New Yorkers, roaches are quick, highly adaptable, and seemingly impossible to get rid of. If they get ousted from one apartment, they'll just go on to another.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Agreed Elvira....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City