Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times

Advertisements

I'm Irish American, would I be safe walking around there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I'm Irish American, would I be safe walking around there?
Just don't wear anything orange.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Just don't wear anything orange.
lol I won't, I was wondering how the best way to get there is, is it the Metro North?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
lol I won't, I was wondering how the best way to get there is, is it the Metro North?
Metro North is definitely the fastest.There is also an Express bus , the BxM4 that runs along Madison and 5th Ave's and various subway options.The best subway option is probably the 2 train to 233 st and then walking West about 7 or 8 blocks to Katonah Ave then North on Katonah.

If you take the 4 to Woodlawn or the D to 205th St you really have to take a bus after the subway.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Metro North is definitely the fastest.There is also an Express bus , the BxM4 that runs along Madison and 5th Ave's and various subway options.The best subway option is probably the 2 train to 233 st and then walking West about 7 or 8 blocks to Katonah Ave then North on Katonah.

If you take the 4 to Woodlawn or the D to 205th St you really have to take a bus after the subway.
Thanks a lot. How much is the a train ride on the Metro North anyway?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot. How much is the a train ride on the Metro North anyway?
One way peak fare is 7.50,off peak weekday is 5.75.Weekend city ticket is 3.75. Monthly it's $178.00

Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
One way peak fare is 7.50,off peak weekday is 5.75.Weekend city ticket is 3.75. Monthly it's $178.00
I'll go there on a weekday then.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If there is any disdain I have for any group..it is in fact the brown and black people..because I will always be harder on my own than anyone else. You gotta clean up your own house before you talk about anyone else's...you know what I mean? However, I typically make comments about others because I am prompted to do so by people who like to rewrite history, and pretend NYC was an angelic paradise until "we" showed up and ruined it. If nobody else will correct that nonsense, I will.

Furthermore, my comment is strictly regarding Woodlawn..and the fact remains that they have no interest in letting anyone else live there who isn't Irish, plain and simple. So if we were in Ireland I would agree....do as you like... but we are not. And calling people out on that blatant behavior does not make me a race-baiter, it is speaking truthfully. Do you disagree with me about Woodlawn? If you do..then that tells me you know nothing of the community.

And there was a time when brown/black folks did not want others in their neighborhoods...and can you guess why that was? They were received by whites with violence and denigration throughout HISTORY, so how do you think people would react? In kind? Yes. Today however, that is not the case and the reality is....whites are rarely if ever the target of anything in NYC. Period. They are moving into all kinds of communities and, in my community in particular, are welcomed. I can't say the same for places like Woodlawn, and neither could you.

I would love to be wrong....we would be a happier society if I were. And for the record, I am about as white as they come, and am more comfortable around "whites" in general (in NYC) as they are typically more educated, professional, and share my interests.

More race-baiting. Again. The fact is that I never necessarily disagreed with you that certain folks in Woodlawn want their own people to live there. I take issue with you only ever speaking out against it when it is whites against "browns or blacks". For you to sit there and say that there are not neighborhoods in this city (plenty) where there are a large portion of "brown and blacks" that don't want whites moving into their areas makes me believe that you are either willfully disingenuous or you're covering your eyes and ears and screaming "damn white people, damn white people, damn white people...."

And please, please don't start with the whole "whites are rarely ever a target" in this city. Numerous examples have been cited on this forum alone in past and current threads. And lord knows how many others that don't make it to the papers and whatnot.

Keep on baitin though, bro. Keep doin what you're doin I guess.

Last edited by availableusername; 12-22-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I am happy to talk about neighborhoods of color which openly don't want "whites" there....start the thread. Right now, we are in the Woodlawn thread and there isn't a soul here that will disagree with my statements about the neighborhood.

No baiting here...I am just calling a spade a spade. You can't tackle problems if you pretend they don't exist. And if you think the mentality of "It's our neighborhood and you don't belong" is normal and ok, for any group to say, then we will agree to disagree.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
There is such a double standard here. Why is it OK for all Black neighborhoods such as Harlem for example to want to keep their neighborhood Black and try to keep white people away BUT its not OK for white neighborhoods to keep it white such as Woodlawn in the Bronx? Doesn't make sense.

We all agree that Woodlawn is an affordable and desirable place to live. In order to KEEP IT THAT WAY, there has to be some form of "discrimination" to preserve the neighborhood. If Woodlawn had an open door policy, Woodlawn would of easily become among the blighted Bronx neighborhoods just as the rest of the Bronx did simply by allowing a different demographics who have lower living standards set their roots in the neighborhood. I know its not the politically right thing to say but I'm not a politician, so I speak the truth without sugar coating it. Woodlawn was able to avoid that by being selective on WHO THEY RENT TO. And rightfully so. Nothing wrong with that. Riverdale is another neighborhood that was selective and escaped the blight the rest of the Bronx underwent.

Now, Harlem on the other hand is a sh-- hole and making Harlem more white WILL and HAS improved Harlem's quality of life. Facts are facts.

The goal here is to either PRESERVE desirable neighborhoods from the riff-raff or IMPROVE undesirable neighborhoods (like Harlem) by injecting a new demographic that actually cares and takes care of their property as oppose to destroying it like the current residents do. In order to achieve that goal, YOU MUST BE SELECTIVE ON WHO YOU ALLOW TO MOVE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City