Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 AM

625 posts, read 900,796 times

Advertisements

I say finish school. Focus on one thing at a time. As you mentioned I usually go once or twice a week so its not a huge deal, but still. Don't make any decisions right now because things may change by the time you graduate. You may decide to take a job elsewhere... who knows. The world is your oyster, don't rush. Take it one step at a time. Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,624,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
I say finish school. Focus on one thing at a time. As you mentioned I usually go once or twice a week so its not a huge deal, but still. Don't make any decisions right now because things may change by the time you graduate. You may decide to take a job elsewhere... who knows. The world is your oyster, don't rush. Take it one step at a time. Good luck with your decision.
I hear ya. I will def stay here though. I am not gonna take a job in a different city. That's why I moved here to stay here, whatever the change will be.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:44 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,322,970 times
I'm not sure how any "recent college grads" can afford to buy a condo in NYC but I know it's not many.

I'm a 30 year old with a good job and I can't afford it.

Everyone who moves here from other states thinks they can just move here with no problem. I think you should RECONSIDER buying anything until you are older, more settled and more stable.

I'm 30...what are you, 21-22? Take it from someone older who has been in your shoes (and FYI I never had any college loan debt).

Old 03-16-2013, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 969 times
I'm trying to decide if I should move when I finished college in December or in June. If I move in June my kid would be able to start school at the beginning of the school year, but my salary option maybe limited for me. Help!!!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,553,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
People get off topic because you left us with an open-ended question to assume things lol.
Why on earth would you buy an apartment this early in the game? What if you don't land a job right out of school because of the economy and are left with waiting tables or temp admin work.

You can spend all the time you want in a neighborhood but it is not the same as living their for six months. I moved onto a quiet street in Brooklyn in the winter that turned into hell in the summer. A stalled condo complex became a half-way house and kids burned trash on the street, cars were vandalized, bricks were thrown through people's windows.
It would me a much smarter decision to rent, even without roommates. But it is your money versus my opinion.
I'm not sure of the prices but I am sure 300K could get you something in Bay Ridge.

For Criminal Justice, check out John Jay.
No go off topic cuz question is a joke:

Entry level jobs -
unemployment -
internships -
jobs +

Basically he didn't finish school yet and is a Sophomore or a student in an MBA program with no experience. Let me tell you something right now OP. Worry about this stuff after you graduate lol

On the bright side, yes don't rent if you can.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,895,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm not sure how any "recent college grads" can afford to buy a condo in NYC but I know it's not many.

Everyone who moves here from other states thinks they can just move here with no problem. I think you should RECONSIDER buying anything until you are older, more settled and more stable.

I'm 30...what are you, 21-22? Take it from someone older who has been in your shoes (and FYI I never had any college loan debt).
Exactly.

If I'm not mistaken this kid was asking here about how to become a nyc cop.
And last time I checked cops start off at 40k. Not a salary that commands the purchasing power of a 300k condo.

Now assuming the kid has 70k in cash for the DP (60k DP & 10k closing costs)
What bank will be willing to give him a mortgage loan being a rookie cop with such a short working history?

I believe the kid is naive and unaware of what entails to buy a property in NYC.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,320,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

I bought a NYC co-op when I was 24, albeit with the help of some family money as down payment. At the time I bought it, I was makinag $35K. What the OP is considering is doable and based on his circumstance, realistic. I would, however, recommend that he waits until finished with school and then start looking to make the move. You should focus on finishing school now. If you want transfer to a nyc school fine but dont buy until you're done. Im also believer that you dont need to rent in an area before you buy, just do your research.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,895,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I bought a NYC co-op when I was 24, albeit with the help of some family money as down payment. At the time I bought it, I was makinag $35K. What the OP is considering is doable and based on his circumstance, realistic. I would, however, recommend that he waits until finished with school and then start looking to make the move. You should focus on finishing school now. If you want transfer to a nyc school fine but dont buy until you're done. Im also believer that you dont need to rent in an area before you buy, just do your research.
And you got a loan and board approval with how many years of working history?
I think it's doable if you got family to financially support you (your case) but I don't think it's doable unless you're looking at a considerably lower price range or have a very large DP to begin with.

Nowadays how many kids graduate college without any debt, have large cash reserves, and get a good paying job right after graduation?

National statistics say that that specimen is almost extinct.
And I don't think Ali G here, is the exception.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,624,640 times
this old as hell so its all irrelevant now

Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,209,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
this old as hell so its all irrelevant now
So tell us your update.
Have you finished school?
Where are you living?
ARe you still renting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City