Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
In many places across the world, Jews are still persecuted and despised.

However we live in a very accepting nation (thank God) and NYC is about 14 to 17% Jewish.

So I was wondering how Jews fare in NYC? Do they still face anti Semitism only in certain parts of cities or is it something Jews can never really escape from no matter where they live in the city or what their profession is?

Also since Jews (I'm talking about Ashkenazi Jews who come from the Eastern part of Europe and are by far the largest group of Jews in NYC and the US) do have a "white privilege" as all other European ethnic groups, how would you compare discrimination against Jews compared to discrimination against non whites (particularly blacks and Hispanics)?

I was reading most Jews in the city voted much more for Dinkins than their Irish and Itailan counterparts.

Can this be due to blacks and Jews sticking together through shared discrimination?

Also I am a Hispanic and I know unfortunately there has been some hatred for the Jews coming from Hispanics and blacks in poorer areas. I'm assuming the makes up the bulk of anti Semitism comes from them in this city because most whites I know see the Jews as "whites just like them."

But still is anti Semitism big here? If so how widespread is it? Or not widespread is it?
Nowadays in NYC Jews are accepted and there is very little anti-Semitism here at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 AM

420 posts, read 697,932 times
Jews are ok here. They pretty much run the city. Black man respects their rise to prominence since the 20s and 30s in NYC. I personally like the attitude of my Israeli jews in the city. No nonsense, tough, boss ****. Very shrewd people though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City