U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 AM

19 posts, read 65,674 times
Default St. Joes

Hey people. Sorry I didn't get back to everyone, as I haven't been on line lately. Lisa, I was there from 1960-66. My brother and I were then shipped off to Kennedy. 250southst, the yr I left was also the best yr of my young life. And I thought the foster homes were bad before that! thor1loki, 'the great and grand meals from the kitchen', LOL! Your funny! Lets all keep in touch here.

thor1loki, sorry. after rereading your post, it was the Kennedy Home you were mentioning. The girls were fine. Food, better by far than St. Joes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 AM

Default St.Joes

Heads up! Some home pics for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Kennedy Home Alumni-joe16.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joe9.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joe.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joem.jpg  

Old 11-01-2007, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 14,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxboy View Post
Heads up! Some home pics for you.
scary- When was that group picture taken? I think I am the 5th boy from the left in the front row. I am guessing 1966 and I just turned 8. Left the home when I was 9 and never looked back until I turned forty- Went by St. Joe's and cried like a baby than but think I got it out of my system.Thanks for the picture. I know we have some but will have to try to figure on how to get posted as I am still a dinasaur when it comes to this. Thanks

Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 AM

Default kennedy/st.joes

Hey 250southst, The pic you are curious about is from a 1961 confirmation. Maybe this other group pic helps, but I believe this is around 63-64, before 1966. The other pics show buildings demolished or in the process of being taken down. Place looks vacant! The old pool was filled in and leveled with materials from the take downs. The church and convent remain, but the home is now a luxury condo site. I have more pics that I will post to give you an idea of the transformation. It is SAD, I agree.
Attached Thumbnails
Kennedy Home Alumni-joel.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joe1.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joe2.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joe3.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joe4.jpg  

Kennedy Home Alumni-joe5.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joe6.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joe11.jpg  

Last edited by bronxboy; 11-06-2007 at 07:48 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 14,760 times
Hey I think you have the wrong Pics. they are from Peekskill
not Kennedy I should Know been their for over 10 years.
anyway who are you?
my name is Tom.
And i left around 69????

Old 11-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Tom, The pics are posted as from St. Joes, NOT Kennedy! This was a reply to 250 south st query. I would KNOW, as I was there also for 7yrs before being sent to Kennedy. We must know each other, as my stay was 59-66. The name is Craig, aka Flaco. Here are some more pics for a fellow homie.
Attached Thumbnails
Kennedy Home Alumni-joeb.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joec.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joed.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joee.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joeg.jpg  

Kennedy Home Alumni-joeh.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joej.jpg   Kennedy Home Alumni-joek.jpg  

Old 11-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Unhappy Sorry Misunderstood.

You know I left so many yrs ago I cant remember what yr it was.
Anyway I was their before they build the three new buildings that are still their now.

One is about the same location as the old barber shop was.

was his name frank???
Some Names that I do Know.
Benny Griffen, Sonny Griffen His Brother Who Died in V.Nam.
Teddy O'Connell,
Clearence West
Philip Castro
and another kid, can't remember his name but his right hand was messed up with some missing fingers, good at basketball.

I think it was 3C where I lived.
your pics were great sorry i lost every thing. I have no Pics.
do you have any more Pics????

Old 11-11-2007, 05:52 AM

Now you have me confused. Thought you were in St. Joes. The guy with the deformed hand was Billy Myers. Ted O'Connell & Clarence West, who also was killed soon after Sonny Griffen were not in St. Joes , but Kennedy. All the pics I have posted are from St. Joes. You mentioned 3C, that would be Kennedy. The 3 new buildings, you mention are also the cottages that were built at Kennedy, and still stand. Did you leave Kennedy or St. Joes in the late 60's? The cottages were opened in 60-62, and a lot of kids were sent from St. Joes to Kennedy during this time. Some came from other children's home's also run by Catholic Charities. I don't have any pictures of Kennedy, wish I did. Remember when Sonny would come back to Weldon Hall smelling of horse manure from working at the horse stable on Pelham Pkwy. No one changed the channel in the TV rm when he was in there. LOL. We all missed him when he was lost in Nam. I am assuming we are the same age, 55-56,as I left Kennedy in 69-70. Curdog, get back to me, as I know all the names you mentioned and others. Remember the GIRLS?! Irene Mendosa, Lucy Berrios, Zelma Rodriquez to name a few.
P.S. I didn't mean that Ted O'connell was killed in Nam. He was last living in Fla. as was his bro Jimmy.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:54 PM

Default still their bronxbox

sent you email did you get it?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 14,296 times
Default bronxboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ferguson View Post
Hey bronxboy-when were you in St. Joseph's in Peekskill>? I was there in 1965-1967. Give me a shout out-I'm trying to gather names of the children and possibly do a documentry. Let me know ASAP, Lisa
DO YOU REMEMBER ANY OF THE TRACY"s??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City