U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,643,620 times

Advertisements

Cop claims Bronx precinct ruled by illegal system*of zealous arrest quotas* - NY Daily News

you see this stuff on shows and you try not to be pessimistic or dramatic and then you see stuff like this about cops within there own precinct at each other's throats because of blatant corruption and it really opens your eyes as to how it is in some precincts. While I won't go all the way and say it is a majority thing, it is something that seems to be on the rise in recent years and hopefully a change at the top comes sooner than later... Kelly and Bloomberg have both overstayed there welcome...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 AM

423 posts, read 1,089,251 times

Raw Video: Boy, 8, shot in Bronx - New York Post - YouTube

Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 AM

14,195 posts, read 16,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Cop claims Bronx precinct ruled by illegal system*of zealous arrest quotas* - NY Daily News

you see this stuff on shows and you try not to be pessimistic or dramatic and then you see stuff like this about cops within there own precinct at each other's throats because of blatant corruption and it really opens your eyes as to how it is in some precincts. While I won't go all the way and say it is a majority thing, it is something that seems to be on the rise in recent years and hopefully a change at the top comes sooner than later... Kelly and Bloomberg have both overstayed there welcome...
So true. R kelly needs to step down.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,326,131 times
We need a compelte overhaul of the NYPD, the bureaucracy and mismanagement within the department makes life unbearable for citizens of NYC (particularly people of color), and miserable for cops too. Nobody wins here, and the culture needs to change from an occupation of NYC to community driven enforcement....what does the specifc community need and how best do we achieve our goals? And the only way to answer those questions is to enlist the community in open dialogue, create goals, and utilize agreed upon strategies which everyone can live with.

Is this really that difficult? Blanket quotas and harassment to meet artificially created targets means a waste of time/energy for cops, and anti-police mentality from residents. REPLACE KELLY NOW.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM

669 posts, read 1,019,838 times
Damn kid took that bullet like a champ

Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 PM

2,608 posts, read 3,491,545 times
Police Officers are human beings, and as a result, there are going to be jerks and screwups who are on the force. There's plenty of firemen that beat their wives or soliders who kill innocents under the Red, White, and Blue. That doesn't mean the vast majority of them aren't heroes who do a terrible job most of us wouldn't want to endure.

If there really was a full court press to conceal and systematically encourage abuses, we wouldn't be hearing about these cases in the first place. Add to the fact that let's face it, to be a police officer you can't really be a "nice" person. A "nice" person would end up dead on a street beat.

City Hall and 1PP should do all it can to effectivley route out and prosecute wayward police, but let's not trash the entire institution. Also, for those bringing race into the mix, let me remind you as a person of color that back in the days when NYC was registering 2,000+ homicides a year over 95% of the vicitims were Black and Hispanic. There's tens of thousands of Black and Hispanic, mostly men, who are still breathing today who wouldn't be if things had continued as they were.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,326,131 times
Shizzles, have you ever heard of the "Blue Wall"? It is a well known and documented fact (See Serpico) that the NYPD, and probably many other police departments "look out for their own" and the mentality is "us vs them."

There may be some corruption that comes to light, but the reality is much of it is covered up, and those that do go against the grain are retaliated against.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM

2,608 posts, read 3,491,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Shizzles, have you ever heard of the "Blue Wall"? It is a well known and documented fact (See Serpico) that the NYPD, and probably many other police departments "look out for their own" and the mentality is "us vs them."
Yes, I have and guess what? All human groups do that, it's a survival mechanism. I fully support the community watching the police and pursing any misconduct to the fullest. What I'm protesting is your trashing of the NYPD as an institution. I don't like it when people brush groups with broad strokes. I'm sure you get upset when people call the Bronx a vast wasteland of ghetto people and crime becuase a certain slice of the community embraces ignorance.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 PM

400 posts, read 818,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Yes, I have and guess what? All human groups do that, it's a survival mechanism.
The blue wall of silence is, propagation of criminal activity, a nefarious defensive measure that protects corruption, a real big SLAP IN THE FACE to the public who pay for their salaries and it is EXTREMELY regressive in respects to civilization.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 PM

65 posts, read 62,797 times
Shizzles, I understand that it is a "human" trait, but so is greed, sloth, lust, etc....so we should be expecting and tolerating this from the NYPD? I am not painting anything with a broad stroke, what I am saying is that the culture of the NYPD is toxic, which does not mean every NYPD officer is corrupt and a criminal. And I also believe that toxic and corrosive atmosphere is cultivated from the top down, which means nothing will change unless the head is replaced.

The NYPD are holding all the cards, and are assigned to protect us, not assault, attack, or violate us, which is what happens too often. And having other officers lie/steal/cover up atrocities is not ok because it is "human nature". They are held to a higher standard, as they should be, and excuses or justifications are unacceptable. Yeah the job is hard...I think ya kinda new that when you joined right? Yeah you don't get the respect you are entitled to..what job does?

We should hold the NYPD to a higher standard, and although I accept there are bad apples, the problem is that the bad apples are too often protected....get it? According to the NYPD you should assist them in catching criminals, and do whatever it takes to arrest criminals EXCEPT when it is cops...in which case you are not supposed to "snitch" or "rat", and if you do, there is retaliation. No problem here?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/ny...l?ref=nyregion

And just so you know, I have had generally good experiences with cops (with few exceptions). But then again, I actively avoid them in every way possible.

Last edited by SoBronxGuy; 02-28-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City