U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
7,998 posts, read 18,343,131 times
Reputation: 5743

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
................ How is that stupid? So now, you have to make phone calls in safe areas so lowlifes would break your face for it?? Now, hate will enter this kid's heart and the cycle continues.
It's stupid because iphone thefts and muggings are rampant and have become the single most common crime in NYC. Almost every day there are news reports of this type.People have been followed off of subways because they were seen using phones or computers on the train and then mugged a block or two away.People have their iphones grabbed out of their hands every day.Everyone knows this.This incident seems a little more aggressive than most of these crimes but it's all the same.

It is just as stupid to walk around bad neighborhoods yapping on an iphone as it would be to wander around in bad neighborhoods flashing expensive or expensive looking jewelry or to leave your wallet on the dashboard of your car when you park it in an iffy neighborhood.It's just asking for trouble and all the news reports confirm that.There are thousands of hood rats out on the streets all day and all night every day,especially in bad neighborhoods, just looking and waiting for you to give them an opportunity.Giving them the opportunity is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Bronx
13,171 posts, read 15,551,874 times
Reputation: 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This happens in Harlem multiple times every single day. I have been firsthand witness many times. The subway platform grab-and-runs are very common, happen any time, morning, afternoon.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, when they catch them, they absolutely must arrest the parents as well - failure to supervise.
As for the parents not being around, thats what happens when fathers are deadbeat or locked up upstate and when single mothers work multiple mininum wage jobs to cover rent in a NYCHA pjs. While other mothers sleep around with other guys and let thier kids run rampent on the streets.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-13-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
 
288 posts, read 461,560 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's stupid because iphone thefts and muggings are rampant and have become the single most common crime in NYC. Almost every day there are news reports of this type.People have been followed off of subways because they were seen using phones or computers on the train and then mugged a block or two away.People have their iphones grabbed out of their hands every day.Everyone knows this.This incident seems a little more aggressive than most of these crimes but it's all the same.

It is just as stupid to walk around bad neighborhoods yapping on an iphone as it would be to wander around in bad neighborhoods flashing expensive or expensive looking jewelry or to leave your wallet on the dashboard of your car when you park it in an iffy neighborhood.It's just asking for trouble and all the news reports confirm that.There are thousands of hood rats out on the streets all day and all night every day,especially in bad neighborhoods, just looking and waiting for you to give them an opportunity.Giving them the opportunity is stupid.
Indeed. And essentially blaming the victim and excusing crimes like that is very intelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,475 posts, read 8,571,908 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As for the parents not being around, thats what happens when fathers are dead best or locked up upstate and when single mothers work multiple minium wage jobs to cover rent in the pjs.
Or they simply flee the scene after a little love and tenderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
7,998 posts, read 18,343,131 times
Reputation: 5743
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Indeed. And essentially blaming the victim and excusing crimes like that is very intelligent.
I'm not excusing the crime,just wondering why so many people continue to do something that has such obvious negative consequences attached.Sort of like smoking and wondering why you got lung cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
 
102 posts, read 141,851 times
Reputation: 71
From SpotCrime:

This happens all over the city every day. Just a few examples below.
Assault 01/28/2012
XX W. THIRD STPolice arrested Hassau Powell, 46, and charged him with stalking and first-degree assault on a woman
Robbery 02/21/2012
2XX SULLIVAN STA suspect punched a victim, 26, in the face and demanded money
Assault 02/09/2012
BOWERY AND DELANCEY ST.Police arrested Michael Torres, 29, and charged him with raping a victim, 36.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 PM
 
288 posts, read 461,560 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
From SpotCrime:

This happens all over the city every day. Just a few examples below.
Assault 01/28/2012
XX W. THIRD STPolice arrested Hassau Powell, 46, and charged him with stalking and first-degree assault on a woman
Robbery 02/21/2012
2XX SULLIVAN STA suspect punched a victim, 26, in the face and demanded money
Assault 02/09/2012
BOWERY AND DELANCEY ST.Police arrested Michael Torres, 29, and charged him with raping a victim, 36.
"This"? What do you mean with "this"? Crime? Yeah. It happens all over the city. Every day. Happens also all over the world. Every single day. Quite something, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
 
288 posts, read 461,560 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I'm not excusing the crime,just wondering why so many people continue to do something that has such obvious negative consequences attached.Sort of like smoking and wondering why you got lung cancer.
Good to know that we're supposed to live in a society where we have to modify our behavior according to the criminal element. Last time I checked, but I might be wrong of course, a robber is in the wrong. Not the victim. Also, if you could elucidate the similarities between texting in public and smoking, I would be very grateful. At first look, I cannot see where they are similar but you might be able to help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
7,998 posts, read 18,343,131 times
Reputation: 5743
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Good to know that we're supposed to live in a society where we have to modify our behavior according to the criminal element. Last time I checked, but I might be wrong of course, a robber is in the wrong. Not the victim. Also, if you could elucidate the similarities between texting in public and smoking, I would be very grateful. At first look, I cannot see where they are similar but you might be able to help. Thanks!
It's not that "we are supposed to live in a society where we have to modify our behavior according to criminal elements".It's just that sometimes it makes more sense to do so.We have a choice and we make similar choices every day when we decide whether to lock our door when going out or whether to go into certain neighborhoods at all.

It's really just a matter of exercising some common sense and knowing when and where it could be risky.

Texting or talking on a cell phone or carrying a laptop IN CERTAIN NEIGHBORHOODS can be like smoking in that they both can lead to serious bodily injury ,yet people do it anyway, thinking it will never happen to them.

I never said the criminals were not wrong or that the victim was wrong.I said the victim acted stupidly by not exercising common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,102,041 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As for the parents not being around, thats what happens when fathers are deadbeat or locked up upstate and when single mothers work multiple mininum wage jobs to cover rent in a NYCHA pjs. While other mothers sleep around with other guys and let thier kids run rampent on the streets.
Of course. The bearing of the children in the first place needs to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top