U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 AM
 
288 posts, read 461,499 times
Reputation: 296

Advertisements

some shootings on nye around where I live. As predicted on this site, I live in a bad ghetto and the world is coming to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,475 posts, read 8,571,908 times
Reputation: 2411
No the world is not coming to an end but what we all have noticed is that ppl are becoming increasingly unhappy, frustrated, disappointed and desperate in this city and new huge luxury developments is not the answer.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 01-05-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/BK
1,271 posts, read 2,053,150 times
Reputation: 646
A week into the new year and North BK already has a few murders from Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Williamsburg, and Brownsville. Damn! I noticed East Harlem's had quite a few shootings also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM
 
400 posts, read 784,100 times
Reputation: 245
Ten MS-13 gang members from Flushing indicted for racketeering

Read more: Ten MS-13 gang members from Flushing indicted for racketeering* - NY Daily News


Eastern District of New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,396,149 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
A week into the new year and North BK already has a few murders from Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Williamsburg, and Brownsville. Damn! I noticed East Harlem's had quite a few shootings also.
For all the talk about gentrification and the betterment of the neighborhood in Bushwick it sure doesn't seem to be the case... Ever since these talks have exploded you know what else has exploded... the murder rate... 2009 had 12, 2010 had 13, 2011 had 16 murders on the year (something that hadn't been seen in that neighborhood in a long time and this year there have already been three murders on the year in Bushwick the last one being this horrible case... This mother just like anyone who is guilty of multiple forms of child abuse deserve a special type of justice...

Girl, 3, Brutally Beaten to Death in Brooklyn | NBC New York

and @ sobroguys comment to me from before, I have nothing to man up about, thankfully I'm not invested in how many people die in this city... I have better things to do than to be excited when the crime rate increases...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 14,659,222 times
Reputation: 4168
You should be invested in how many people die in this city because it impacts us all in one for or another. There are only a few commenters on here who take a perverse interest in increasing murder/crime in NYC, and I don't think I was referring to you specifically.

As for Bushwick, I cannot comment about it other than the longer term trends clearly support a big positive change. There may be some increases at time, but the longer term trend is still the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,864 posts, read 3,837,829 times
Reputation: 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Ten MS-13 gang members from Flushing indicted for racketeering

Read more: Ten MS-13 gang members from Flushing indicted for racketeering* - NY Daily News


Eastern District of New York
Thanks for sharing that link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,396,149 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You should be invested in how many people die in this city because it impacts us all in one for or another. There are only a few commenters on here who take a perverse interest in increasing murder/crime in NYC, and I don't think I was referring to you specifically.

As for Bushwick, I cannot comment about it other than the longer term trends clearly support a big positive change. There may be some increases at time, but the longer term trend is still the same.
Weren't you the one that said last year that we shouldn't be making any judgments about the year until we have enough evidence to give us an idea of where we would be heading? I do agree with what you said in your first comment though which is why it upsets me when people disregard the crime and the murders that take place in their neighborhood simply because it doesn't affect them...

In terms of Bushwick I do agree that ultimately the neighborhoods QOL for some is improving but right now for many others it isn't... Unfortunately, in this city or at least within this city it seems like what most consider to be poor working class minorities get a raw deal and get treated like second citizens in comparison with other groups particularly the newest group right now in terms of hipsters... Despite the fact that many hipsters that live in this neighborhood live here due to circumstance and not by choice, realtors, owners, ll's do whatever they can to sell this neighborhood to them or do whatever they can to make life uncomfortable for the original population to the point where they feel forced to leave... This happened to a certain extent in Williamsburg but it seems to be happening more and more often in neighborhoods like Southside, East Williamsburg and Bushwick and because of this the tension is causing problems in the neighborhood and unless these problems discontinue I don't think that the long term trend will continue to be a positive...

You can't say the long term trend is positive when last three or four years the crime rate has remained stagnant or increased while the murder rate and violent crime rate has continued to increase in recent years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/BK
1,271 posts, read 2,053,150 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Weren't you the one that said last year that we shouldn't be making any judgments about the year until we have enough evidence to give us an idea of where we would be heading? I do agree with what you said in your first comment though which is why it upsets me when people disregard the crime and the murders that take place in their neighborhood simply because it doesn't affect them...

In terms of Bushwick I do agree that ultimately the neighborhoods QOL for some is improving but right now for many others it isn't... Unfortunately, in this city or at least within this city it seems like what most consider to be poor working class minorities get a raw deal and get treated like second citizens in comparison with other groups particularly the newest group right now in terms of hipsters... Despite the fact that many hipsters that live in this neighborhood live here due to circumstance and not by choice, realtors, owners, ll's do whatever they can to sell this neighborhood to them or do whatever they can to make life uncomfortable for the original population to the point where they feel forced to leave... This happened to a certain extent in Williamsburg but it seems to be happening more and more often in neighborhoods like Southside, East Williamsburg and Bushwick and because of this the tension is causing problems in the neighborhood and unless these problems discontinue I don't think that the long term trend will continue to be a positive...

You can't say the long term trend is positive when last three or four years the crime rate has remained stagnant or increased while the murder rate and violent crime rate has continued to increase in recent years...
Agreed. For the majority of the population of Bushwick and other such hoods, a few hip bars/resturants, condos, and bike lanes just doesn't outweigh the fact that the violent crime rate remains the same or have increased. One has very little bearing on their livelihood, the other does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 01:38 PM
 
8,752 posts, read 14,659,222 times
Reputation: 4168
More retail, more residential developments, more jobs, more trees, more parks, more public transportation do not change anything by themselves nor does anyone allege these things magically solves social ills. However together we can all recognize that they do have a positive impact, and are steps in the process of change.

We can all agree that none of these things hurt a community, and are in fact positives. Does this mean poverty magically disappears? Kids magically excel in school? Of course not, but they all are steps in the process, and assist in moving forward. I don't think anyone can argue with that...yet people keep spending all their time complaining that new bars "don't do anything." Of course they don't...why focus on single things...just so you can complain?

Most of you do not understand the transformation that is occuring in NYC. I had no idea so many of the 5 story buildings (the old tenements) in my neighborhood (Mott Haven/Southern Bronx) have been renovated and turned into co-ops and condos. You would never know it from the outside.

Just recently I saw these 2 tenements were purchased, all residents evicted, and they are rehabbing it into "low-income" rentals. However they are defining "low-income" as $42K-$57K when the average in NYC is around $50k, the Bronx overall is around $35K, and the community is $20K! This is working/middle class housing covertly defined as "low-income"...and this is the kind of changes happening across the city, and particularly in the Southern Bronx...discreet in most cases.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...rketing-Ad.pdf

Last edited by SobroGuy; 01-06-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top