U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 01:41 AM

13,189 posts, read 15,572,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Im not sure if this is true but hipsters arent scared of thugs.

Bushwick Hipsters Unimpressed by Violent Crime -- Daily Intel
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:54 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,400,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im not sure if this is true but hipsters arent scared of thugs.

Bushwick Hipsters Unimpressed by Violent Crime -- Daily Intel
That is an article about East Williamsburg... As i've mentioned before and was criticized for doing so, both neighborhoods have experienced an increase in overall crime and specifically violent crime... Though East Williamsburg is far more gentrified than Bushwick is... The reality of Bushwick's gentrification is that most of the hype surrounding real estate in "Bushwick" is actually East Williamsburg, Ridgewood or South Williamsburg as we see early on in the article you posted...

Without question, there are changes to the neighborhood and demographics as well but the numbers are no where near as high as you would imagine...

Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,054,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Past year and a half I would say... Don't know the last time Bushwick had 17 murders in one year but according to the latest reports that's what happened last year and this year has been no better for Bushwick and South/East Williamsburg as well...

Also what's interesting to me is the overall numbers for last year...
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf

Don't know if anyone's been paying attention but supposedly the final numbers for 2011 in terms of the murder rate on January 14th were 502... the following week they were 508 and now they're at 515...

The accuracy of compstat really is amazing... Kelly's incompetency and misrepresentation of facts really knows no bounds...
LOL!! This is not the first time I noticed this and it always have me scratching my head. For instance, 32nd pct (Upper Central Harlem) went from 8 to 10. Why 2 homicides suddenly appear on the stats? What due process had to take place for them to finally be recognized?

I'm quite surprised at how Bushwick and East Williamsburg have been up there so far in terms of shootings and homicides. It's no doubt they're still hood, but it's been so much activity into the new year it's strange. The topic name for the article Bronxguyanese posted slightly bugs: "Bushwick Hipsters Unimpressed by Violence" as if staying in a neighborhood that has regular violence is supposed to be a badge of honor. You don't read many articles about long term residents being such brave people for sticking it out. On the other hand, ENY has been pretty mild thus far...this can always change though. Another place that has been pretty active is South Jamaica but it doesn't raise the eyebrow since there was never a promoted gentrification scene going on over there and never will be.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:17 PM

8,752 posts, read 14,670,747 times
Come on fellas...the count will change as murders are reclassified. You should know that by now.

As for the article above, it is the same reason I am unimpressed by the violent crime in good old Mott Haven. It doesn't really impact me at all, and neither does it impact these newbies. When you start hearing about Patsy Benson, Jeff Swanson, Phoebe Lawrence, Luke Mendell, Hayden Farley, Karen Hart, and Paul Silverstein and similar type people getting gunned down, THEN you will see them take notice. But that ain't happening.

The people who SHOULD BE WORRIED are young black men in low income communities. If the drug trade doesn't get them, cops will harass the heck out of them and find some reason to criminalize them. I think something like 90% of murders in NYC are black on black...scary. So why would "Pam" and "Cory" be worried...it should be "Tyrone" and "Deshawn" who have something to worry about.

The newbies live their lives outside of that element, despite the fact that they are in the neighborhood..it really doesn't affect them...none of their friends are being murdered..."just the same old black guys who always get murdered"....

There are 2 different worlds in these communities..and it really depends which you want to live in. If you want to get involved in the drug trade, look to feel the violent crime rate and be a murder victim. If you stay away from the projects, the homeys, and the drug trade, you can live just fine....take it from someone who knows.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 PM

6,267 posts, read 4,673,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
When you start hearing about Patsy Benson, Jeff Swanson, Phoebe Lawrence, Luke Mendell, Hayden Farley, Karen Hart, and Paul Silverstein and similar type people getting gunned down, THEN you will see them take notice. But that ain't happening.

Ever think that black professionals will also be targeted for muggings because the thugs fear that a white crime victim will be more thoroughly investigated by the cops?

Having been a victim of a mugging far away from any projects or low income housing I suggest that those who think crime doesnt bother them fool themselves. Enough people are injured, sometimes severely if the perp feels like it, or his unhappy with his haul. I was lucky because the muggers were clearly amateurs.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM

400 posts, read 784,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
ever think that black professionals will also be targeted for muggings because the thugs fear that a white crime victim will be more thoroughly investigated by the cops? .

yes!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Carib we are not speaking about crime..aka muggings/etc...I think Patsy Benson walking around Rockefeller center or Times Square is much more likely to be mugged than the average person anywhere. What we are talking about is violent crime (like murder)..and violent crime in NYC is overwhelming perpetrator by young black men against other black men...70% of which is drug related.

Crime can hit anyone at any time of any class/race, but violent crime in NYC overwhelmingly affects young black men in low-income neighborhoods. Regardless of how many whites or asians move to a low-income black neighborhood, the perpetrators and victims of violent crime don't change: young black men. Why is that? I have already answer that question in my prior comment above.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Crime can hit anyone at any time of any class/race, .

I know loads of hard working black people who live in areas where crime is a problem and they certainly dont say that "crime doesnt affect me". No when you leave their home to return to yours they tell you "get home safe". And they arent just hoping that you and your cell phone both arrive home. They are talking about the possibility of a violent encounter with a thug which might result in serious injury or worse. The fear is a thug, thinking that you have more than they do, then think they are entitled to it.

Clearly then if whites moving into these neighborhoods can say "crime doesnt affect me" then they live in another universe. Because HARD working minorities dont think so. So clearly then thugs think that a minority victim is better because the police will view the incident less seriously so they are less likely to be caught.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 AM

I am agreeing with you...blacks are touched infinitely higher in violent crime than others..so of course hard working black people would never say it doesn't effect them. Whether they are hardworking or not, being black in a low-income community means you are much more likely to be impacted by violent crime. We are saying the same thing here.

Whites however, run in different circles and are less likely to have the relationships with people who drive the violent crime in the neighborhood. They are living in a different universe and have completely different experiences although they share the same neighborhood. I live my life the same way....I am removed from that element, and live by life above the fray...the violent crime in the neighborhood does not effect me. It was there yesterday, it is there today, and it will be there tomorrow...but I am not in the circles which are perpetrators or victims (of course there are exceptions).

Keeping your nose clean, staying out of the housing projects, out of the drug scene, and away from the homies at the bodega/hanging out at 2 am etc, are simple ways to stay above the fray and thinking that violent crime really isn't a priority for you, or touches your life. Because at the end of the day..it doesn't directly effect you, your friends who run in the same circles, your families, or much of anything else.

I really don't think people of color purposefully target other people of color...I think they look for the easiest target. And with violent crime specifically, the vast majority of perpetrators and victims are young black men involved in the drug trade.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I am agreeing with you...blacks are touched infinitely higher in violent crime than others..so of course hard working black people would never say it doesn't effect them. trade.
No we are not saying the same thing. I am talking about middle class black professionals. They are no more likely to have relationships with the thug element than the white equivalent. I am left with the notion that you dont know too many black professionals.

Like every one else they are looking to live in neighborhoods which they can afford. These neighborhoods, with solid home owners (and carefully selected tenants.....no one will invite thugs to rent from where they live) arent too far from poorer areas. So that element drifts over looking for opportunities with muggings and home invasions.

I am telling you that if whites feel "crime doesnt impact me" then they are living in a different universe with a different narrative than a black professional, going home and then gets mugged, and maybe injured.

Maybe the whites are more naive. Or maybe the thugs attach less importance to black life as they feel assured that the police think the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City