Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM

84 posts, read 249,590 times

Advertisements

According to the New York Times, 40% of all city homicides are from Brooklyn, 24% for the Bronx, 18% for Queens, 15% for Manhattan and 3% for Staten Island. The statistics per 100,000 are the Bronx at 12.4, Brooklyn at 11.2, Manhattan at 6.5, Queens at 5.4 and Staten Island at 4.0.
Apparently we only had 209 homicides last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:31 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,559,005 times
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly tells cops not to shrug off crime victims - NY Daily News

Wow...finally...I wonder what took so long for Kelly to actually address this. SMH

Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,799,861 times
4 People Die in Unrelated NYC Subway Incidents | NBC New York

The first and fourth victims seems sketchy... they didn't even describe the incident on the last one and yet they declare all of these events mishaps...And what are the chances of two separate L trains killing two different people on the same day...

Edit... Never mind this one is more detailed and explains the cases...

http://gothamist.com/2012/01/22/yest...ion_deaths.php

Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM

303 posts, read 603,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
4 People Die in Unrelated NYC Subway Incidents | NBC New York

The first and fourth victims seems sketchy... they didn't even describe the incident on the last one and yet they declare all of these events mishaps...And what are the chances of two separate L trains killing two different people on the same day...

Edit... Never mind this one is more detailed and explains the cases...

Yesterday's 4 Subway Station Deaths: 3 Killed By Trains, 1 Found Dead On Staircase: Gothamist
If they don't report much then there's obviously more to the story than they want to admit.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Election Results

Obviously in most of these cases the victim generally has a history while the parents defend but the second mother that spoke in this video definitely has a point about the excessive force especially since the video nor the description mentioned these two teenagers having a weapon... It just seems like the cop was very trigger happy in this case though I understand you can never know when put in these situations... Either way I can't imagine the pain the first mother is going through in losing her son...

Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 AM

Video: Cops Beat Bronx Teen, D.A. Launches Investigation: Gothamist

this one even moreso the victim wasn't innocent (just want people to understand that I am not defending this guy)... however, that being said, here we have another case of blatant excessive force and lame excuses for the excessive force...

Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM

9,244 posts, read 24,040,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Election Results

Obviously in most of these cases the victim generally has a history while the parents defend but the second mother that spoke in this video definitely has a point about the excessive force especially since the video nor the description mentioned these two teenagers having a weapon... It just seems like the cop was very trigger happy in this case though I understand you can never know when put in these situations... Either way I can't imagine the pain the first mother is going through in losing her son...
2 against 1 and they are clubbing him,with one coming after him after he identified himself and he's not supposed to use his weapon? Sorry but that doesn't sound trigger happy to me.

I feel sorry for the mother but I feel equally sorry for the cop ,who I'm sure isn't thrilled with the fact that he had to kill someone.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,353,082 times
I don't think there are any winners here. For those who believe it is AOK to shoot to kill these kids, let's keep in mind this: What if your kid was doing this? Would you smile and say "Finally somebody killed my son, what a relief." Or would you say " Couldn't we not have killed him and tried to give him a chance to turn his life around, he was so young. He was a trouble maker, and doing the wrong thing, but is death the only solution?"

It's a sad situation, and it's easy to say we need to just kill these kids, until it's your kid that is. Like I said there are no winners here and life ain't fair for anyone. Think about the dumb things you did as a kid, and what if you were shot and killed for it...would you think that was the better solution? Did you get the chance to turn your life around and look back and realize you were a dummy and learned from your mistakes? This kid will never have that chance....maybe it's better off he is dead cuz he could have done much worse to someone else...or maybe not. I dunno...do you?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think there are any winners here. For those who believe it is AOK to shoot to kill these kids, let's keep in mind this: What if your kid was doing this? Would you smile and say "Finally somebody killed my son, what a relief." Or would you say " Couldn't we not have killed him and tried to give him a chance to turn his life around, he was so young. He was a trouble maker, and doing the wrong thing, but is death the only solution?"

It's a sad situation, and it's easy to say we need to just kill these kids, until it's your kid that is. Like I said there are no winners here and life ain't fair for anyone. Think about the dumb things you did as a kid, and what if you were shot and killed for it...would you think that was the better solution? Did you get the chance to turn your life around and look back and realize you were a dummy and learned from your mistakes? This kid will never have that chance....maybe it's better off he is dead cuz he could have done much worse to someone else...or maybe not. I dunno...do you?
Very true... and it's hard... because when you're in a situation like that your first instinct even as a cop is to protect yourself first but something about the first mother's pleas just doesn't sit right with me that the kid was a complete lost case... The second mother had a defeated reaction like she had been through this before while the first mother had been experiencing this type of brush with the law with her son for the first time... Again, we never know what really happened but either way it hurts you especially as an educator when you see young kids who haven't had a chance to potentially turn their life around lose their life so young...

Personally, I made some mistakes during my youth and I just thank god everyday that I was given the chance to turn it around and make something out of my life... Again the circumstances may have been different but when you grow up in that environment when it's all around you, it's hard to escape it... you definitely have to be mentally tough to be able to reject the overwhelming numbers of those who want to bring you down along with them...

Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,353,082 times
I am not second guessing the cop, or any victim for that matter at all, and I probably would have done the same thing had they mentioned they had a gun also..who knows. But it's just something to think about...there are no winners here...and this cop is I am sure would have wished none of this happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City