Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:54 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,590,461 times

Advertisements

To have an affordable rent and a "sane" amount of space, you have to hit the outer boroughs. The Bronx has affordable options, but it can be a culture shock even to native NY'ers. There is a urban feel here, but according to some on this forum, it's not for the faint-hearted (though I tend to disagree).

Tradeoffs: longer commute, little or no Manhattan "amenities," further from the "action." Some areas are safer than others, so you have to investigate the area--even the block--in some hoods.

However--millions commute on the subways each day, and it's really not that big a deal. You just have to travel into Manhattan for the real "city" vibe, and perhaps take advantage of the good things in the borough of your choosing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 10,928 times
I've worked hard all my life... And, I'm interested in a dramatic change of scenery. But, I must say this would still be quite the financial shock for me.

A one bedroom for $1,000-$1,200 in New York is almost scary. In the city of Jackson, a $1,200 mortgage provides a 3 to 4 bedroom home with around 2400 to 3000 square feet of living space. Conversely, in the Downtown Jackson area, a 1600 Sq ft. apartment would run $1,200 to $2,400 (only because its downtown).

Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 PM

304 posts, read 1,300,132 times
You either have to make tons of money, or live in not-yet-"discovered" neighborhoods in the outer boroughs.
And we COULD buy/rent a mansion elsewhere for what we pay for a not-too-bad or semi-dump NYC apartment.
Many of us get used to living like grad students well into adulthood -- in cramped spaces or 5th-floor walkups, with roommates, in OK apartments in crummy neighborhoods, or in crummy apartments in OK neighborhoods.
We also make lots of allowances for things like weirdly laid-out space, minimal building services, etcetera.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 PM

922 posts, read 3,850,779 times
A lot of people who were either born here or have lived here for many years have locked themselves into a fairly low cost of living by either buying a home or apartment 15+ years ago (when the costs were more reasonable), or by getting into a rent-controlled apartment.

Also, people who bought many years ago can cash out the appreciation on their dwelling to afford a big down payment on a more expensive place, which means that the actual mortgage is not that high.

The real affordability problem is for people who are first time buyers and for young people with entry-level salaries. This is why a lot of young adults continue to live with their parents for several years, live with roommates, or move to more affordable parts of the country.

One more thing... a lot of real estate is passed from one generation to another.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,479,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublue View Post
I know that NYC and burroughs are very expensive to live in. How do average people afford to live there? I know there must be poor people or even middle class folks who make it there, but how? Are the wages more in NYC? How do people other than the wealthy live there?
According to the last Census, the population of NYC went over the 8 million mark. Since the vast majority of us are not wealthy, you can take this much for granted: it's never as bad as it gets portrayed. Expensive, yes. Ridiculously expensive, sometimes. But manageable by the "average" person, definitely. Otherwise we wouldn't be here!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:55 AM

66 posts, read 304,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
According to the last Census, the population of NYC went over the 8 million mark. Since the vast majority of us are not wealthy, you can take this much for granted: it's never as bad as it gets portrayed. Expensive, yes. Ridiculously expensive, sometimes. But manageable by the "average" person, definitely. Otherwise we wouldn't be here!
Yeah, it seems like I'm always reading that NYC is ultra expensive, and thus difficult to live in. And yet I come from a working class background and have lived in NYC my entire life. New York is not a city of millionaires, nor is all of Manhattan for that matter, despite the image. Of course, there are pricey areas, but the city is big enough that you can find a good value in anything, depending on where you look or how you live. For example, I take the subway everywhere, which is much cheaper than a taxi or a car.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 AM

468 posts, read 2,351,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublue View Post
I know there must be poor people or even middle class folks who make it there, but how? Are the wages more in NYC? How do people other than the wealthy live there?
We live in smaller apartments with fewer amenities than people in most of the country. If we're single we live with roommates. We don't own cars.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 PM

257 posts, read 821,517 times
How Do People Afford to Live in NYC?.... Sacrifice time, space, money, effort, privacy, ammenities

Old 03-21-2009, 01:07 PM

706 posts, read 3,754,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Working class neighborhoods in NYC are still pretty cheap, compared with Manhattan at least. You don't have to live in a slum like Brownsville to get decent rents. Certain neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx are still relatively affordable for the region. You can find a 1 br in many of these areas in the $1,000 to $1,200 range.
One would be hard-pressed or just lucky to find a decent one-bedroom apartment for $1,000 in Queens...maybe an illegal basement apartment in a nice home.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:10 PM

706 posts, read 3,754,631 times
Work our asses off (and work damn smart) to live relatively comfortably.

Hustle and grind.

Be resourceful.

Everything/anything from looking for bargains to using coupons when shopping to car pooling to going without a car if trains are nearby to adopting a roomate if necessary).

And it's worth it...I love NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City