U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 69,434 times

Advertisements

I know that NYC and burroughs are very expensive to live in. How do average people afford to live there? I know there must be poor people or even middle class folks who make it there, but how? Are the wages more in NYC? How do people other than the wealthy live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,251,329 times
You live with multiple roommates in crappy apartments. I know people who make $40-50k living in Manhattan that way.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:20 PM

44 posts, read 171,340 times
share a studio with roommie

Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 AM

719 posts, read 1,483,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieschweiz View Post
share a studio with roommie
That's so depressing. I once new 3 early 20 somethings sharing a rat and cockroach infested STUDIO on the Bowery. At least they'll have a story to tell.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 23,906 times
I've been visiting studios in NYC for the past 2 days, and for $1300 a month, its just depressing. Visited a kid on 61st st and Lex, and he was subsidizing the rent so he could move back to queens- one of these lost-job-due-to-economy-can't-afford-NYC-anymore stories. $1350 a month. When I entered the apt doorway, I had trouble fitting between his clothes bureau and the kitchenette, and his bed took up the whole space... I'm estimating the room as 10x12' and his belongings were taking over. It was sad.

Pool resources with roomates that you don't mind living on top of, and you might find a decent location. Its just ludicrous what brokers are considering a good deal for a closet of a space, and the fact that people will pay it.

My experience in the past few weeks has ultimately always come back to the question: How much and what, are you willing to sacrifice to live on the island of Manhattan. You can live in the middle of the action for lots of money, but have no living space- basically just a place to sleep in a small room. Or you can find an apartment with more space, but thats totally inconvenient to public transportation. Or move out to the boroughs with everyone else, and have a balance, while still getting to enjoy the city.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,990,734 times
I live in queens and have thought about moving to the city, but in the end i just decided it was not worth it.

I own my own coop in queens and mortgage + maintenance is about $1,500 a month. If I move to the city, for what I want I estimate it would cost me about $2,400 and up, for a place that will most likely be smaller and not as nice as where I live now - all for the convenience of the city. The true benefit would be a shorter commute when i go to the city for work or hanging out. But I'm in Forest Hills, which is about 30mins on the express to midtown. So depending on where I wound up, it might save me 15-20mins for an extra $1,000 a month, plus I am not building any equity - just didn't seem worth it to me. Luckily, I am in a position where I would be able to get a place on my own without roommates, but the cost is just too much IMO. Maybe if i was younger

Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 AM

6,605 posts, read 11,431,467 times
The key to living comfortably in NY is all about finding a decent neighborhood (outside of Manhattan) where prices and rents are relatively low and that is very close to a good subway line.And not bothering with a car.

I am a teacher so I am as middle class as you can get. I have a big comfortable apartment in a building across the street from a big park.My mortgage,coop maintenance and all utilities( incl cable and internet) is less than $1,500/mo and a big chunk of that is deductible.My housing expenses are way less than the 30% of income rule.

My immediate neighborhood has lots of conveniences and I am 2 blocks from the subway with a choice of East Side or West Side trains ,depending on where I want to go.It takes about 30 or 35 minutes to mid town most of the time . I once lived on the Upper East Side by York and 90th St and it took longer to get to midtown than it takes me now because there was a long,grueling in winter walk to get to the subway!

When I need a car I rent a zip car. Makes more sense to me than the expense and hassle of owning.

I lack nothing,travel every summer and still manage too save.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,990,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The key to living comfortably in NY is all about finding a decent neighborhood (outside of Manhattan) where prices and rents are relatively low and that is very close to a good subway line.And not bothering with a car.

I am a teacher so I am as middle class as you can get. I have a big comfortable apartment in a building across the street from a big park.My mortgage,coop maintenance and all utilities( incl cable and internet) is less than $1,500/mo and a big chunk of that is deductible.My housing expenses are way less than the 30% of income rule.

My immediate neighborhood has lots of conveniences and I am 2 blocks from the subway with a choice of East Side or West Side trains ,depending on where I want to go.It takes about 30 or 35 minutes to mid town most of the time . I once lived on the Upper East Side by York and 90th St and it took longer to get to midtown than it takes me now because there was a long,grueling in winter walk to get to the subway!

When I need a car I rent a zip car. Makes more sense to me than the expense and hassle of owning.

I lack nothing,travel every summer and still manage too save.
I agree, except for the zipcar part. I own a car, just a convenience I like since I do use it a lot.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM

2,541 posts, read 7,776,587 times
Move to a non-gentrified area in northern manhattan like Washington Heights/Morningside, or south bronx

move to the ghetto in brooklyn, move to a hispanic nabe in queens

Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 AM

6,605 posts, read 11,431,467 times
It's ok as long as you actually use it.

I know so many people who spend almost as much owning and maintaining a car as I spend on housing and then hardly ever use them !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City