U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 PM

965 posts, read 2,106,054 times

Advertisements

Lost Subways Map | WNYC

WNYC brought forth this story of Subway lines and stations which were unbuilt or disgarded. I thought it to be interesting and couldn't help but daydream about how things would look now. The first thing that jumped out to me was how easily accessible Queens could be, especially a quicker commute to JFK and the Rockaways. A connection to Staten Island would definitely be nice. I also noticed that in some of these areas, especially around the proposed "Utica F Line", Gentrification would have come. Don't know if its good or bad but please browse the map, and share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Quote:
I also noticed that in some of these areas, especially around the proposed "Utica F Line", Gentrification would have come.
A subway stop in Far Rocakaway didn't do much for "gentrification." (God, how I hate that word.)
Nor did one in the center of Bed-Stuy.

Some are downright silly, bordering on NUTS, like that "cross Forest Hills connector" (to speed your trip between Rego Park and the Rockaways???) and that "Eighth Ave to Williamsburg" line.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A subway stop in Far Rocakaway didn't do much for "gentrification." (God, how I hate that word.)
Nor did one in the center of Bed-Stuy.

Some are downright silly, bordering on NUTS, like that "cross Forest Hills connector" (to speed your trip between Rego Park and the Rockaways???) and that "Eighth Ave to Williamsburg" line.
A line from South 4th street in Williamsburg running down Malcom X in Bed Stuy and Utica in Crown Heights and East Flatbush would've definately brought speculators to some of those areas. Hell, alot of those imbecile realtors are already calling areas far to the east in Bed Stuy, Clinton Hill.

That line connecting to the M train in Ridgewood, I'm not sure if its wise. But the Rego Park from the F to the A. That would make that trip a hell of alot better, and make a trip to JFK alot easier. When I lived in Far Rockaway I had to go through that grueling A train ride all the way to Manhattan. Connecting to Rego Park would've made a commute to Manhattan more efficient.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM

shameless bump, I know....

Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
There are more planned (and unbuilt lines) than the ones you've listed. The reason for the middle track at Bedford-Nostrand on the G line was to accommodate a new line that would have crossed Brooklyn west-to-east, then come aboveground and connected to the Myrtle Avenue (M) line at Broadway.

If you take the F train to East Broadway, at one end of the station you can see ceiling beams set at an angle. That's part of the tunnel that would've taken trains to the South 4 Street station in Williamsburg, from which five or six new lines would have branched out across Brooklyn.

And at Roosevelt Avenue in Queens, there actually is a lower level to the station, built for what was known as the Winfield Spur. Had it been constructed, there could've been a direct subway line to JFK.

The reason why the D line makes a turn to the east for the run between Bedford Park Boulevard and 205 Street is that the original line was proposed to run all the way across The Bronx. But after the city acquired the former NY, Westchester & Boston railroad trackage (it became the IRT Dyre Avenue line), Mayor LaGuardia decided that there was no need to have two lines serving the northeast corner of the borough, and so the D line was scaled back and never built beyond 205 Street.

And one more proposal you might be surprised to know about: when the Archer Avenue extension opened, Parsons/Archer was conceived as only a temporary terminal. There was a plan to take the Laurelton branch of LIRR off their hands, and provide 24 hour service on the J line between a new terminal at Rochdale Village and Manhattan. As you can see from looking at the map, it never came to pass.

I could go on for a while, but I think I'm getting tired of typing just at present. So...

To be continued (just ask!)

Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
There are more planned (and unbuilt lines) than the ones you've listed. The reason for the middle track at Bedford-Nostrand on the G line was to accommodate a new line that would have crossed Brooklyn west-to-east, then come aboveground and connected to the Myrtle Avenue (M) line at Broadway.

If you take the F train to East Broadway, at one end of the station you can see ceiling beams set at an angle. That's part of the tunnel that would've taken trains to the South 4 Street station in Williamsburg, from which five or six new lines would have branched out across Brooklyn.

And at Roosevelt Avenue in Queens, there actually is a lower level to the station, built for what was known as the Winfield Spur. Had it been constructed, there could've been a direct subway line to JFK.

The reason why the D line makes a turn to the east for the run between Bedford Park Boulevard and 205 Street is that the original line was proposed to run all the way across The Bronx. But after the city acquired the former NY, Westchester & Boston railroad trackage (it became the IRT Dyre Avenue line), Mayor LaGuardia decided that there was no need to have two lines serving the northeast corner of the borough, and so the D line was scaled back and never built beyond 205 Street.

And one more proposal you might be surprised to know about: when the Archer Avenue extension opened, Parsons/Archer was conceived as only a temporary terminal. There was a plan to take the Laurelton branch of LIRR off their hands, and provide 24 hour service on the J line between a new terminal at Rochdale Village and Manhattan. As you can see from looking at the map, it never came to pass.

I could go on for a while, but I think I'm getting tired of typing just at present. So...

To be continued (just ask!)
Thats crazy, cause I always catch the G either at Classon or Bedford Nostrand and I always wondered why there was this middle track! I assumed it was for those maintenance cars. My girlfriend gets of at the East Broadway stop and I have noticed the beams set at an angle. Her commute would've been a lot shorter had the South 4th street project gone through.

I did read in there that the reason why the D train curves at an angle when ending at 205th is because it was meant to go across the Northeastern section of the borough as you stated, but they didn't say why.

My question for you is, whenever they complete the 2nd avenue line, will they connect it to Hoyt Schermerhorn as originally planned, or is that not going to happen?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
My question for you is, whenever they complete the 2nd avenue line, will they connect it to Hoyt Schermerhorn as originally planned, or is that not going to happen?
The southern terminal of the 2nd Avenue line is going to be Hanover Square in lower Manhattan (an historically interesting selection, since that used to be the terminal of the original el!)

As a matter of fact, the likely service on the new line is already mapped out. There will be a new line designated T, running from 125 Street to Hanover Square. And the Q line will stop running to Astoria on weekdays, instead picking up the 2nd Avenue line above 57 Street for a new service pattern from 125 Street to Coney Island. (That's what the 63 Street tunnel was actually designed for. Right behind those red brick walls are tracks that connect to the new 2nd Avenue line!)

The original plan for the 2nd Avenue line had it running to Pelham Bay Park in The Bronx (which would have necessitated scaling back platforms all along that line, since BMT cars are two feet wider than their IRT cousins). Then the #6 would've been cut back to a 125 Street-Brooklyn Bridge run. That plan was scrapped almost immediately for cost reasons. Excuse me, I meant to say, it was officially postponed. But you shouldn't expect that the 2nd Avenue line will be running to The Bronx any time soon.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM

259 posts, read 199,500 times
If they made that Brooklyn - Queens extension at Roosevelt it would be awesome. The M could be a circle line, and make it a lot easier to move between boroughs.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Also on the subject of unbuilt lines: next time you're riding on an uptown N train, take a look out of the windows on the right side of the train as it pulls out of 57 Street. You'll see a ramp going up...

That ramp was installed as part of the original BMT plans around 1917. The line was proposed to cut across town to Columbus Circle, one avenue block away. But the plan wound up being abandoned after the IND subway was built along Central Park West. Imagine what kinds of service could be offered if that block-long tunnel was ever built!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM

4,145 posts, read 3,442,281 times
i wish plans were in the works to expand the g line service, because that line has to be the worst line ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City