Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:51 PM

93 posts, read 100,375 times

Advertisements

"Excuse sir/madam would you happen to have the time or should I just go f... myself"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM

420 posts, read 823,554 times
"Excuse me, do you have the time?"

Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post
"Excuse sir/madam would you happen to have the time or should I just go f... myself"

I don't understand the point of this question. Please elaborate on why the way you would ask a New Yorker is any different than the way you would ask anyone else.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Well, since you are asking, while the watch on your wrist and the cell phone in your hand, are in plain view, expect the later.

Streetwise tip:

Who today does not have a wristwatch, cellphone, or other such electronic device on them 24/7?

Virtually NOBODY!

So, if someone approaches you asking the time, just keep walking.

Asking for the time is the oldest setup there is.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't understand the point of this question. Please elaborate on why the way you would ask a New Yorker is any different than the way you would ask anyone else.
Yeah I was just about to write that.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Well, since you are asking, while the watch on your wrist and the cell phone in your hand, are in plain view, expect the later.

Streetwise tip:

Who today does not have a wristwatch, cellphone, or other such electronic device on them 24/7?

Virtually NOBODY!

So, if someone approaches you asking the time, just keep walking.

Asking for the time is the oldest setup there is.
And what setup might that be? There are elderly people who do not have cell phones and do tend to forget their watch. Not all tourists travel with their cell phones and lots of people just don't like wearing a watch.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Also I know many people who have no wristwatch and whose cell phones have on occasion been battery dead.... I have been asked the time before very innocently (though rarely), and not in any special fashion, and if I heard them, I simply told them the time...

Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM

155 posts, read 585,759 times
Depending on who is doing the asking....if someone asks me if I have the time, I might reply "If you have the place"

Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
And what setup might that be?

The kind where they pull out the knife and/or the gun, while you stupidly stop and take your eyes off the predator.

The kind where the partner steps out of the shadows and grabs you from behind, while you stupidly stare at your wrist or shuffle for your cell phone.

The kind where you get 'boxed in' while, again, you stupidly take your eyes 'off the street'.

Quote:
There are elderly people who do not have cell phones and do tend to forget their watch. Not all tourists travel with their cell phones and lots of people just don't like wearing a watch.
You have just described: Victims!

Jfyi, there are a HOST of ways to determine the time w/o having to ask anyone. Just like in the wild, predators take advantage of the idiotic behavior of Prey. The way to keep from becoming a victim is to not behave like one.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:49 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Quote:
There are elderly people who do not have cell phones and do tend to forget their watch. Not all tourists travel with their cell phones and lots of people just don't like wearing a watch.

You have just described: Victims!

When a 12 year old kid on the subway on the way to school asks me for the time (happened this morning), I don't really feel like a victim for giving him the time. His response was "thanks, my phone died" ....

There are situations that I would ignore hearing someone ask and keep walking, of course... But there are situations where it is legitimate and barely takes a second of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City