Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,155,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
lol
Don't think we are on the same page of humor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,210,485 times
What happened bro? When I messed with you on your first thread, you took it like a champ. Are you gettin all sensitive on me now? Maybe you will fit in around those specific neighborhoods in north brooklyn...

Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
What happened bro? When I messed with you on your first thread, you took it like a champ. Are you gettin all sensitive on me now? Maybe you will fit in around those specific neighborhoods in north brooklyn...
No, just don't see the point of the post. I asked a question to feel out some answers from people....you're not hurting my feelings or anything, just don't see the point in the posts, that is all.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,210,485 times
Just ignore me then, player.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
As far as I know, it doesn't work that way. Realtors/brokers do not want to deal with people who are just looking to get the lay of the land. Why would they? They have apartments to rent, and if you are not going to rent one of the ones they need to rent, then it would be a waste of their time to take you around.

But you could also try to find this out yourself by calling some of them and see what they say.
Who said I would tell a broker that, my mom was in real estate for a long time, when you want to look at someplace without the intention to buy or rent, you just lie about it, then at the end sound doubtful and unsure of what you want.

But from what I am guessing, it might be just as easy to email and call when we get there and set up a few individual visits to places that are within our range with what we are looking at so we can get a better idea of the apartment sizes that we will be in the market for, which will help with deciding what we move with and what we leave behind.

Besides, we pretty much have in idea of the areas we would want to live in, and northwestern Crown Heights is at the top of that list, so we will probably end up checking out what we can while hanging out in that area.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,112,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who said I would tell a broker that, my mom was in real estate for a long time, when you want to look at someplace without the intention to buy or rent, you just lie about it, then at the end sound doubtful and unsure of what you want.

But from what I am guessing, it might be just as easy to email and call when we get there and set up a few individual visits to places that are within our range with what we are looking at so we can get a better idea of the apartment sizes that we will be in the market for, which will help with deciding what we move with and what we leave behind.

Besides, we pretty much have in idea of the areas we would want to live in, and northwestern Crown Heights is at the top of that list, so we will probably end up checking out what we can while hanging out in that area.
Ok, so you already knew you were going to have to lie to some broker in order to get your free tour.... then why are you asking the question here? What is the point of this thread?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Ok, so you already knew you were going to have to lie to some broker in order to get your free tour.... then why are you asking the question here? What is the point of this thread?
Because that wasn't the main question, I was more curious how people went about apartment hunting in nyc. When starting out or trying to see apartments in a new area, has anyone here gotten a broker to show them a bunch of apartments or do they want a bunch of up front information, which if they do then I would guess that it would be better to do the individual looking so that we aren't dealing with just one person.

Basically I am curious what others' personal experience with moving in nyc or peoples' experience with the first time they moved to nyc was. I am just trying to getting gather added information to go with everything I have researched so far and I was hoping this was a good forum site for this kind of information.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you have absolutely no intention of buying or renting a listed property why would you waste your time, and more so the brokers time? Are trying to get a free tour of the local housing stock? If that's the case, I think it's pathetic to lie to some broker that could be showing properties to real customers just so you don't have to hit the pavement and do your own work.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
If you have absolutely no intention of buying or renting a listed property why would you waste your time, and more so the brokers time? Are trying to get a free tour of the local housing stock? If that's the case, I think it's pathetic to lie to some broker that could be showing properties to real customers just so you don't have to hit the pavement and do your own work.
Thank you for your input, it looks like we will respond to a few craigslist ads and tours while we are there. That is looking like our easiest route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City