U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,595,834 times
Please don't rent a vehicle. If you even found street parking, you would be responsible for every dent and nick to the car rental company. Even if you were willing to pay for a garage near where you are staying, where are you going to park when you get to your destination? Garage parking is pricey and street parking happens only if you get lucky (although not impossible near MSM on a weekend morning) . . . and you will still have to walk a distance from the parking spot to your destination with the bass.

The other poster is correct. NY musicians walk and take the subway with their instruments all the time. I've seen people push timpani along the sidewalk. Make arrangements in advance with a car service to pick you up and take you back to LGA. Stipulate that you need a van. Once in the city, as long as there are 2 of you, walk and take the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 PM

6,632 posts, read 10,724,296 times
It might be cheaper to hire a young local aspiring bass player who is used to transporting his/her bass around NYC and have them accompany you and help you travel on foot and on the subway.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 PM

17 posts, read 8,090 times
You all are absolutely correct. I do not want to drive. I will contact car services that have mini vans or suv's. The last thing I want to add is more stress.

Kay

Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM

17 posts, read 8,090 times
Is it possible to take the bass on a bus?

Kay

Old 02-28-2012, 04:53 AM

9,191 posts, read 14,463,621 times
One of the most reliable car service companies I have used, in multiple cities, is Boston Coach, as they employ professional drivers who know the city, and traffic patterns to/from your destination. I think the fees are worth it when you have a time schedule for the service as they are not a company that specializes, as pointed out upthread, in airport transportation. I believe they have vans in their fleet, and if not, they definitely have large SUVs that would be capable of carrying the instrument.

Renting a van is not the worst proposition, either; however, you may not be as experienced with the city and traffic patterns getting to your destinations, so you would need to plan for significant extra time, both for travel and parking. Regarding parking, you can compare rates and book in advance, especially helpful with a van, as there are facilities that cannot park a van, and those that can generally charge a higher rate than for a passenger car. I would highly recommend purchasing the LDW at the rental counter in NYC, though the most damaged rental cars I have had (in the US at least) were in Los Angeles and Orlando. It is definitely less expensive than the hassle of fighting with any automatic coverage on your credit card, and/or coverage of loss of use, should you only have the car for a few days. The main issue with parking is proximity to your destination for a van-capable garage, as it may be in the next block, or across the street.

You may be able to get on a city bus, but you cannot block the aisle or another seat on the bus with your instrument. If you could obtain seats and keep the instrument in front of you without blocking the aisle, then it could work. However, if you are in the priority seating at the front of the bus, and a patron for whom the seats are intended boards, you cannot occupy the seat, as carrying a bulky instrument would not be a valid reason to do so. On any public transportation in NYC, don't even rest your bag on an empty seat, even if the subway car/bus is nearly empty, or you could face a fine at the hands of the transit police. In many respects, I would imagine the subway and walking to be easier than attempting to navigate buses, since it would be at the driver's discretion as to whether the instrument could be transported on his/her bus, and whether or not they would allow access to handicapped facilities to lift it onto the bus.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City