Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:34 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,591,098 times

Advertisements

I was just browsing through the Times real estate section's Bronx rentals and was surprised to find some great deals in Riverdale for folks who need multiple bedrooms/shares. From the looks of it, you can rent out a three/four bedroom for not much more than a one bed. Since the area has a rep for being both beautiful and more pricey, was wondering what other folks thought, or if anyone else finds Riverdale to be a good bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 AM

233 posts, read 904,384 times
I like Riverdale, always have. It is pricey, but worth it. I have an aunt who lives in Yonkers, and you can really see the difference between Riverdale and that section of Yonkers.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:30 AM

564 posts, read 1,723,656 times
I was watching Fox 5 News a few months back and they said that Riverdale was the second monst expensive neighborhood in New York, second to the Upper East Side. That grabbed my by the neck, I didn't know it was that expensive. The funny thing is I live a couple of blocks from Riverdale, so I felt a bit surprised that I didn't know it was more expensive than many other Manhattan neighborhoods.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:02 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,333,529 times
Well maybe Riverdale is expensive in terms of purchasing real estate, but definitely not for renting. I believe you can find a nice 1br for $1,200 - $1,400 around Johnson Ave.

I have somewhat mixed views on Riverdale. I live fairly close by to Riverdale and go there every so often. It is a nice area, but you are still in the Bronx. Thats the problem with most Bronx neighborhoods, even though you can be in a very nice neighborhood if you drive or take the bus a mile from your house you can end up in a complete ghetto.

So is paying a premium for living in Riverdale really worth it? I don't really know, it is up to the individual I suppose.

The other problem with Riverdale is that getting to the city is either inconvenient or expensive. Riverdale has a large number of transit options (buses to the subway, express buses, and the Metro North Train), but the express buses and Metro North Train are expensive and taking the bus down to the subway and then taking the subway down to the city can take a long time. So you have to factor that in.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,555,160 times
I live on broadway and 252 street and the rent is reasonable(though I rent a studio so i pay far less than anything bigger). There is also lots of free parking so it is a good deal. The area is safe and everyone is always looking out

Ghettos areas like Yonkers are about a mile and a half away to the north and once you cross bailey Ave on Kingsbridge Rd you are pretty much having to look over your shoulder

Old 09-01-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Ghettos areas like Yonkers are about a mile and a half away to the north and once you cross bailey Ave on Kingsbridge Rd you are pretty much having to look over your shoulder
However, the area to the east of the northern part of Bailey Avenue, Van Cortlandt Village, is one of the safest areas in the Bronx. As you get closer to Marble Hill, Bailey starts to get poorer and scarier.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:55 PM

it's nice over in VC village. It's strange but I never feel scared around marble hill or bailey Ave around 225th--and I know it's dicey over there

Old 09-01-2007, 10:52 PM

Well during the day, it's pretty busy because of Target and all those stores. Scary was probably the wrong word. It wouldn't be nearly as bad living there as it would in other parts of the city.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:11 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,333,529 times
Whats with that busted a$$ building behind the target with all of the grafitti on the side? Its really an eyesore to see on the Deegan, especially when compared to the newish Target building that looks all ****-n-span on the outside.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Never saw the bad bldg you mention though I have been in Target many many times. perhaps it's hidden by the rooftop parking lot. Perhaps it's a storage or delivery place for the store? The view from Starbucks gives you a view of the Broadway bridge going into Inwood--you get a view of the IRT passing overhead as well as boats in the water. they really fixed up this neglected area--though even years before it never scared me though it was kind of dicey--certainly not as bad as other parts of the bronx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: