U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM

3,060 posts, read 3,737,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Just my opinion but I think it has something to do with the fatal attraction of hip hop culture and all the wannabe gangsterism.A lot of kids from middle class black backgrounds have decided that the streets,drugs,gangs and guns are somehow more appealing than continuing the upward push of their parents and grand parents.They are bringing ghetto antics back to their parents' middle class neighborhoods.Tragic.
This I agree with. I knew many black kids in middle school that acted like little gangsters but had successful parents. It's unfortunate that many kids in New York City look up to negative role models [like mainstream gangsta rappers].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,176,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Highest Murder rates:

1. 73rd (Brownsville) - 30 per 100,000.
2. 40th (Mott Haven) - 22.9 per 100,000.
3. 81st (Eastern Bed-Stuy) - 19.1 per 100,000.
4. 25th (Upper East Harlem) - 19 per 100,000.
5. 46th (Morris Heights, south Fordham) - 15.6 per 100,000.

Back in the early 1990's some areas had rates of like 80 per 100,000.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 PM

28,093 posts, read 14,373,796 times
Any one how where to find Newark's murder rate for 2011? I'm thinking Newark as a whole might be comparable to Brownsville, and possibly the worst in the entire metro area. Murder was 24.5 in 2008, and that was considered a low year. The previous year had a rate of 36.6.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 PM

5,100 posts, read 11,839,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Back in the early 1990's some areas had rates of like 80 per 100,000.
Here are the highest murder rates of 1990, since everyone's been asking for them.

*Note, the East Tremont rate of 201 was inflated with the Happy Land arson fire. The rate without that was in the 60's.

1.) 48th* (E.Tremont) - 201 per 100,000

2.) 41st (Hunts Point) - 112 per 100,000

3.) 28th+32nd (Central Harlem) - 108 per 100,000

4.) 42nd (Morrisania)- 94 per 100,000

5.) 40th (Mott Haven) - 93 per 100,000

6.) 79th+81st (Bed-Stuy) - 87 per 100,000

7.) 83rd (Bushwick) - 75 per 100,000

8.) 44th (Highbridge) - 74 per 100,000

9.)73rd (Brownsville) - 71 per 100,000

10.) 46th (Tremont) - 69 per 100,000

11.) 75th (East NY) - 68 per 100,000

12.) 30th (West Harlem) - 65 per 100,000

13.) 67th+70th (E.Flatbush/Flatbush) - 61 per 100,000

14.) 23rd+25th (East Harlem) - 60 per 100,000

15.) 34th (Washington Heights) - 52 per 100,000

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 AM

2,754 posts, read 3,372,338 times
Supermario alot of good detailed information on here gotta give you props for taking the time to put all the info up here... It's interesting to me how sobroguy says on the 2012 crime thread that it's important to keep ourselves knowledgeable about the crime in our city, meanwhile he throws temper tantrums when facts cloud his views...

Btw, in terms of Bushwick, as hard as they are pushing Bushwick you would assume the area is filled with hipsters...

Reality, the Ridgewood border always had white people living there and even back in 2000 the white population was 5%. though it was mainly poor European folk or the ghetto kind... Now the area is just over 10% white with most of the white population concentrated near the East Williamsburg or Ridgewood borderlines and once you pass knickerbocker the area really does change and that hipster presence almost becomes non-existant...

In terms of the neighborhoods murder rate... if you look at the numbers for the last few years it has been on an increasing trend...

2009 12 murders
2010 13 murders
2011 16 murders

and what's in store for this year? So far there have been two reported murders in the area that haven't been counted on the police reports but that have been covered by the news and a third was along the Bushwick/Bed-stuy border on Putnam but they list it as a murder that happened in Bed-stuy...

Personally, I felt that even without the hipster talk and the gentrification talk that the neighborhood was making drastic improvements early on mid 2000s... However, soon as you heard this explosion of talk about gentrification it seems as if the crime rate and murder rate began to increase or remain steady while before that the 20 year trend was decreasing...

I'm not saying one relates to the other, but at the same time, this idea that gentrification automatically improves a neighborhood the way it has done with Red Hook or Williamsburg doesn't necessarily make it true for all areas... I would use Bushwick as an example of that and possibly Mott Haven though I do not know the area that well (just going by the statistics and what I've read)...

Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 AM

449 posts, read 517,525 times
And lets not assume these numbers are not doctored up

Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 AM

9,365 posts, read 15,829,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Thanks,SuperMario.

One correction.....lowest Bronx rate is the 49th precinct but that is Pelham Parkway/Morris Park,not Throgg's Neck. Throgg's Neck is the 45th pct.

Interestingly,my pct( 49) has a lower rate for 2011 than Riverdale ! And although it was a bad year in most of The Bronx,Pelham Parkway and Riverdale rates are more like northern Queens, so give the Bx some credit where credit is due.
The 50th covers Riverdale, Kingsbridge, and Marble Hill, hence the murder rate being higher, as it's not just a Riverdale statistic. The main focus of problems tends to be Marble Hill and Broadway, as there is a concentration of housing projects in the area. Kingsbridge, too, has some murders, in certain areas, but it's a rare phenomenon in Riverdale proper.

ETA: It's generally the Marble Hill Houses and streets off Broadway below 230th that have problems in that part of the 50th. Streets to the east of Broadway can also be problematic, like Bailey and Albany Crescent. As with many neighborhoods, however, it's after dark when one would be more at risk of an incident in these areas.

It's interesting that the 9th was so low, yet the 7th was much higher. Alphabet City, well the LES projects are split between the 7th and 9th, IIRC, so perhaps the locus of crime was reported more to the 7th for whatever reason. It's an anomaly, to be sure, and I wonder if it's a case of Jacob Riis Houses becoming safer, or that the area needs to be taken as a whole as it is a continuous line of projects from the Baruch Houses. Houston divides the 7th and 9th, so that calls into question, if a murder occurs on Houston, how does one measure in which precinct it should be tallied? The same can be said for which side of Allen, that divides the 5th and 7th, with the 5th standing out a bit with its 0.0 rate. That just strikes me as odd because Chinatown has never exuded a feeling of safety that is akin to much of the 19th precinct, for example.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-11-2012 at 02:02 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 02:21 AM

8,483 posts, read 7,716,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Supermario alot of good detailed information on here gotta give you props for taking the time to put all the info up here... It's interesting to me how sobroguy says on the 2012 crime thread that it's important to keep ourselves knowledgeable about the crime in our city, meanwhile he throws temper tantrums when facts cloud his views...

Btw, in terms of Bushwick, as hard as they are pushing Bushwick you would assume the area is filled with hipsters...

Reality, the Ridgewood border always had white people living there and even back in 2000 the white population was 5%. though it was mainly poor European folk or the ghetto kind... Now the area is just over 10% white with most of the white population concentrated near the East Williamsburg or Ridgewood borderlines and once you pass knickerbocker the area really does change and that hipster presence almost becomes non-existant...

In terms of the neighborhoods murder rate... if you look at the numbers for the last few years it has been on an increasing trend...

2009 12 murders
2010 13 murders
2011 16 murders

and what's in store for this year? So far there have been two reported murders in the area that haven't been counted on the police reports but that have been covered by the news and a third was along the Bushwick/Bed-stuy border on Putnam but they list it as a murder that happened in Bed-stuy...

Personally, I felt that even without the hipster talk and the gentrification talk that the neighborhood was making drastic improvements early on mid 2000s... However, soon as you heard this explosion of talk about gentrification it seems as if the crime rate and murder rate began to increase or remain steady while before that the 20 year trend was decreasing...

I'm not saying one relates to the other, but at the same time, this idea that gentrification automatically improves a neighborhood the way it has done with Red Hook or Williamsburg doesn't necessarily make it true for all areas... I would use Bushwick as an example of that and possibly Mott Haven though I do not know the area that well (just going by the statistics and what I've read)...
I agree, also Gentrification takes time and it does not happen over night. Also note williamsburg and harlem have not fully gentrfied yet and when that happens lets see what effect it has on bushwick and mott haven aswell as washington heights. People need to understand murders, homicides manslaughter will happen in nyc regardless. If I was so worried about murder I would move out of nyc in a heartbeat and move to the hicktown boonies. For those that want or dream of 0 murders in nyc refer to book or movie minority report.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-11-2012 at 02:38 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 AM

5,475 posts, read 4,979,354 times
I had a conversation with a former guardian angel and he told me that Mott Haven in the early 90's was indescribable but what happened down in Hunts Point he will never ever forget, they were literally chased out the neighborhood with bullets flying and residents cheering.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 01-11-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM

641 posts, read 595,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm still baffled by gunplay in middle class black neighborhoods through out nyc whether if its north east Bronx, south east queens and canarsie Brooklyn.
Most of the neighborhoods in SE queens are not that bad Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Rosedale, Queens Village, and Springfield Gardens are all safe middle class black neighborhoods my grandma lives in Queens Village visited a million times never seen or heard anything bad and she's never complained about crime. The most I see is typical black teens into hip hop culture but they never seemed bad to me.

Last edited by joshd9124; 01-11-2012 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City