Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 AM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times

Advertisements

Just reflecting back on the thread about crazy or rude subway behavior. I am thinking that there should be a rule book or guide book for riding the trains. Now granted, some people are rude on purpose. Some people, on the other hand, are simply clueless.

I remember once being stuck like a sardine at the door of a completely packed A train during the morning rush hour, when some guy literally snarled in my face, "It's people like you who cause all the problems," or something to that effect. In a voice that was at once calm but deadly, I told him, "Oh sit down and shut up." Some people looked at me as if to say, "You go, girl." A few people looked scared, as if they thought a fight might break out. Most people just minded their own business.

The guy forced his way through the crowd and somehow squeezed into a seat. I sneaked a look at him as I exited the train. He looked like a little boy who had been sent to his room or to a corner for a time-out. To this day, I do not know what would have been appropriate or what could have prevented this unfortunate scenario.

I'm on my way back to NYC in mid August. I'm looking forward to being back in the Big Apple again but definitely not looking forward to riding on the trains.

Can we create a thread suggesting rules of etiquette and ways to deal with the stress some of us feel riding the trains? Maybe someone should publish a book, or the MTA could create a billboard or poster campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
I tend to never stay by the door, unless is empty. So on a train where all the seats are taken, stand by the door allowing you for an easy exit. If it gets a little more crowded and you're by the door, lean up against the railing so as to allow a wide passage for people entering or exiting the train.

For fellas, if in the company of women, always keep your hands up. You don't want to be accused of rape. Even when squeezing through to get to the other side, walk with your hands up. Women tend to ruin lives.

If the train is jam packed, make your way towards the middle of the train. The area by the door is usually the most crowded, so when you go into the middle you have a lot more space to work with.

Never stay close to sleeping bums. They smell bad and they may try to talk to you.

Put on a mean face and most of the time people wont bother.

If it's crowded but the person around you sees that you have made a maximum effort to allow for space, they won't say nothing.

I never have gotten into an agument on the train. This is while taking the most crowded of trains, the 4, all my life.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the tips and the insider insights, SuperMario. You are a savvy train rider and surely one of the lucky ones. I was actually sitting on the A train one Saturday after a poetry reading in the Village next to a guy who got into a fist fight with another guy over a seat. One minute nothing, peace, etc.; the next minute fists were flying. At one point one of the guys (the one who did not get the seat) stood away from the seats and moved toward the end of the train glaring at all of us as if he were going to take us all out. It was crazy. People jumped out of their seats and raced to the other end of the train. I just sat there and looked at him like, "Hey, my friend. This is so not necessary. Please don't do this." He looked at me, calmed down, and then got off on the next stop. The police arrived one stop later, but I doubt that they found the guy.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
Wear Sunglasses so you dont have eye contact. be courteous with your newspapers especially the NYT and FNT when reading them. Don'tcross your leg over your knee, keep both feet on the ground. Bring something to read if its late at night and you cant wear your sun glasses. Don't Shimmy and Shake to your tunes. don't use the poles for pole dancing.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM

332 posts, read 613,499 times
If you are waiting to get on the train, step to the side of the doors so people getting off can do so easily and quickly. Do not shove your way on the train as people are trying to get off.

If wearing a backpack on a crowded train, take it off and put it between your legs so that more people can fit.

Do not hug the poles or lean against them on crowded trains, just hold on with a hand, that way others can use the pole too.

Do offer the elderly, handicapped, and pregnant women a seat (although that last one can be tough in the winter, when those bulky coats make it hard to tell if someone is pregnant)

Do not put your feet up on the bench, even if the car is empty. Your shoes are dirty, someone will need to sit there and will not want to sit in dirt.

Do not put your food/drink/bag next to you on the seat. One person one seat.

Do not put on makeup/perfume while riding the subway. The smell can bother people.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Excellent, folks. Thanks so much.

Uhm... Pole dancing? Come on. lol. Ok, I did see this one youtube video, and well... Ai yai yai. What's the world coming to?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Wear Sunglasses so you dont have eye contact.
Really? You can look at other people it's ok! Who wears sunglasses inside the subway? Plenty of people have made eye contact with me and I have still lived to tell the tale.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Eye contact is ok if it's limited. Staring at length is not. Could be the difference between the East Coast and the Midwest. Here is Madison I have noticed that people do make a lot of eye contact. In NYC you can get someone truly angry with you if you overdo this.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Eye contact is ok if it's limited. Staring at length is not. Could be the difference between the East Coast and the Midwest. Here is Madison I have noticed that people do make a lot of eye contact. In NYC you can get someone truly angry with you if you overdo this.
Im not saying you should stare at people but if you look at someone they aren't gonna pull out a knife and stab you. the though of everyone wearing subway is so ridiculous however.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM

Yeah, I agree about sunglasses, and besides most New Yorkers are so honest that if you did stare too long for them with one glance they would let you know. I think it was NYC where I perfected the one-eyebrow, do please back off, glance. There are also times when making contact with some kind and hopefully sane stranger is cool. I would just be careful. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City