Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The 2 train in the Bronx has a decent amount of people in the train at night. Its sometimes even crowded at night.

I've been on the 4 at night, but only to take it to transfer to the 2 and 149th and 3rd Avenue. I never felt bothered or unsafe.
Ah, the #2...brings back memories. For some reason I suppose I was destined to live by that train. I rented an apartment off 238th St./Nereid and down the road purchased a condo in Pelham Parkway. While I could've taken the relatively posher express bus, I chose to take the good ol' #2 / 5. It's been nine years and as crazy as it sounds, these kinds of threads make me feel all nostalgic. I do miss the subways sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
The N from 34st to Broadway in Astoria and the F from downtown Manhattan to Park slope have fairly decent looking people and you don't have to get through hot hoods.
You ought to ride them late night, and compare them to a ride through the Bronx. There's a noticeable difference.
Anyways my comment has meant to be humorous hyperbole, but my last sentence about the Bronx being the cheapest boro for a good reason was not. I stand by that comment, the bronx is cheap because of its social ills and will remain that way till it's cleaned up from the excess of anti-social elements that inhabit it.
These social ills that you speak of isn't representative of an entire borough. The urban jungle known as NYC is famous for having pockets of affluence and poverty within blocks of each other. But cest le vie, it can be hard to change perceptions, eh? Some places are cheap, others are not. Some places in the Bronx will never go down in value. It's location, location, location. The sale of my Bronx condo made me a lot of money, more money than I've seen. I, for one, am happy that there are people out there willing to give the Bronx a look. Affordable space is at a premium in NYC and not everyone can live in Manhattan. The Bronx would be smart to capitalize on this.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 AM

16 posts, read 22,675 times
As per the Crime report of the city, Bronx comes to no. 3rd in the New York State after TriBeCa, Staten Island. The some of the places in the Bronx city are here:-Henry Hudson Park, St. James Park, Wave Hill, Bronx Park are safest from my side.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 AM

579 posts, read 945,207 times
Default D and 4 trains

I grew up in the Bronx and lived on the Grand Concourse at Bedford Park Boulevard in the late 70's and early 80's. I often took both the D and 4 trains home late at night (after 2 am) back then and I never had a problem. Remember that was over 20 years ago and crime was worse then than it is now.

I recently returned to the Bronx and live in BEMO (my new moniker for Bedford-Mosholu, I hope it catches on!). I mostly ride the Metro North because my apartment is very close to the Botanical Garden station. While the Metro North always seems safer than the subway, the catch is that the last train back from GCT is 1:56 am so after that it's the D or 4 trains. I have found the D train to be fine. Mostly what the other posters have already said. The subways are safer now. Don't live in fear.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
OK, so what about the Fordham Heights area? What's that area like? That area seems to have pretty reasonable rents as well and it's a bit closer to Manhattan anyway.

My job is in Lower Manhattan, so any commute from the Bronx would be a bit of a schlep, but I'm willing to do it if it means finding a bargain.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
OK, so what about the Fordham Heights area? What's that area like? That area seems to have pretty reasonable rents as well and it's a bit closer to Manhattan anyway.

My job is in Lower Manhattan, so any commute from the Bronx would be a bit of a schlep, but I'm willing to do it if it means finding a bargain.
There is a major difference in quality of life in Fordham Heights v Bedford Park,Norwood and Van Cortlandt Village.Fordham Heights can't be more than 5 minutes or so closer to midtown and it's definitely not worth it ,even if it is both cheaper and closer.In that area i would be more worried about the walk home from the subway station at 4 am than of the subway ride through the rest of the South Bronx.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,932 times
Dear fellow forum members,

I am new here and would like some helpful information to move forward with a plan of action.
My wife and I have lived in the Pelham Bay section of the Bronx for a few years, but the commute balance between us is still in my favor.
She commutes to Williamsburg and, as far as I can tell, expects to continue working there for the next few years.
I drive daily to the middle of Westchester and hope to remain at that job, as well.
I would like to stay in the Bronx, if possible, but understand that a compromise will create a happier environment for us moving forward.
The marriage is not at a high point right now and I need to become more active with issues, such as this, in order to solidify our future together.
Please share your thoughts on Bronx neighborhoods that are closer to Williamsburg (walking to a subway a must, but driving will be an option, as well) and also safe and reasonable.
I know this all sounds cliche, but I hope to learn from this forum and experience some new stuff.
I have lived in this general area my whole life, but I need to remain open to change, hopefully for the better.
Administrators, if this post should be placed in another thread, please go ahead and do that.

Thank you ahead of time for all helpful responses.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingtougher View Post
Dear fellow forum members,

I am new here and would like some helpful information to move forward with a plan of action.
My wife and I have lived in the Pelham Bay section of the Bronx for a few years, but the commute balance between us is still in my favor.
She commutes to Williamsburg and, as far as I can tell, expects to continue working there for the next few years.
I drive daily to the middle of Westchester and hope to remain at that job, as well.
I would like to stay in the Bronx, if possible, but understand that a compromise will create a happier environment for us moving forward.
The marriage is not at a high point right now and I need to become more active with issues, such as this, in order to solidify our future together.
Please share your thoughts on Bronx neighborhoods that are closer to Williamsburg (walking to a subway a must, but driving will be an option, as well) and also safe and reasonable.
I know this all sounds cliche, but I hope to learn from this forum and experience some new stuff.
I have lived in this general area my whole life, but I need to remain open to change, hopefully for the better.
Administrators, if this post should be placed in another thread, please go ahead and do that.

Thank you ahead of time for all helpful responses.
Vote for Chris Quinn for mayor.She is going to cut the commute of all NY'ers to under ann hour.

Seriously though,your wife has my sympathies.I struggled with a commute from Williamsburg to The Bronx for a number of years before finally ditching Williamsburg and moving to The Bronx.I don't think there is any way to substantially cut the commute time to Williaqmsburg but it could probably be cut by 10 or 15 minutes while staying in a decent neighborhood. Whether that's enough to justify moving is up to you to figure out.

The only thing I can think of is to consider the neighborhood around Pelham Parkway/Morris Park that is really close to either the Pelham Parkway 2 and 5 train at White Plains Rd or the 5 train Morris Park stop.This might help because there is 5 train rush hour express service that would probably get her to 14th st 10 or 15 minutes faster than the 6 train from Pelham Bay.This might only help if your wife's commute is during normal rush hours when the express trains are running.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM

579 posts, read 945,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Vote for Chris Quinn for mayor.She is going to cut the commute of all NY'ers to under ann hour.

Seriously though,your wife has my sympathies.I struggled with a commute from Williamsburg to The Bronx for a number of years before finally ditching Williamsburg and moving to The Bronx.I don't think there is any way to substantially cut the commute time to Williaqmsburg but it could probably be cut by 10 or 15 minutes while staying in a decent neighborhood. Whether that's enough to justify moving is up to you to figure out.

The only thing I can think of is to consider the neighborhood around Pelham Parkway/Morris Park that is really close to either the Pelham Parkway 2 and 5 train at White Plains Rd or the 5 train Morris Park stop.This might help because there is 5 train rush hour express service that would probably get her to 14th st 10 or 15 minutes faster than the 6 train from Pelham Bay.This might only help if your wife's commute is during normal rush hours when the express trains are running.
Good advice. OP could also consider Bedford-Mosholu. By subway the 4 train to 14 th street takes about 40 minutes. Another option is the D train to 7th Ave to E train to Court St in Queens and switch to G train into WillyB.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM

235 posts, read 373,791 times
Why don't you just move somewhere in Queens. And find parking on the street or some garage there. I will suggest any neighborhood where many subway lines connect to the G-Train on Court Square. So that way she doesn't have to go from the Bronx to Manhattan to Brooklyn. That is too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City