Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times

Advertisements

These are great photos to look at, but would I want to raise my kids in such evironment? Hell no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 04:42 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
These are great photos to look at, but would I want to raise my kids in such evironment? Hell no!
True, that is the reaction of a father, but also from another perspective growing up in such a crazy environment makes you learn some life lessons that kids who grew up in comfort would never learn.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
True, that is the reaction of a father, but also from another perspective growing up in such a crazy environment makes you learn some life lessons that kids who grew up in comfort would never learn.
True indeed frenchy. I say that all the time that on why I wont raise kids in this enviorrnment. Then again do I want to spoil my kids in a sheltered enviornment being an helicopter parent? No because it does not give the child any chance to learn life on its own. People who were not raised in nyc could never learn the hardships we face but instead they occupy wall street with starbucks and apple devices.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 PM

142 posts, read 259,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
True indeed frenchy. I say that all the time that on why I wont raise kids in this enviorrnment. Then again do I want to spoil my kids in a sheltered enviornment being an helicopter parent? No because it does not give the child any chance to learn life on its own. People who were not raised in nyc could never learn the hardships we face but instead they occupy wall street with starbucks and apple devices.
I think kids who grow up in the city with good family support usually turn out OK, and are more self-sufficient. Raising kids in the suburbs in this day and age is a terrifying prospect- loads of drugs, drinking and driving, violence done out of boredom, etc., and lots of times kids start at a really early age. Kids can go through hell living in the suburbs, and still come out with no clue about life. Ritzy private schools are the worst- after all, they have tons of money for drugs and fast cars, and half the kids there think they own the world. I think a lot of people who send their kids to private schools or move out to the suburbs because of the schools would have been better off staying put. I don't think OWS is really representative of anything other than a small group of kids from relatively wealthy families from a few select areas.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM

71 posts, read 149,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
People love looking at these pictures and all that but I doubt they would actually like to be transported to that time and have the guy with the red cap pointing a gun to their head for their loose change.
no doubt. as someone who grew up in a crappy nyc neighborhood during the crack era, there was nothing magical about it.

anyone that wants a grittier town can move to detroit or baltimore. i'm sure they'll be glad to have you.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM

142 posts, read 259,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tha Five View Post
no doubt. as someone who grew up in a crappy nyc neighborhood during the crack era, there was nothing magical about it.

anyone that wants a grittier town can move to detroit or baltimore. i'm sure they'll be glad to have you.
Yeah, but Baltimore's public transportation blows. You're so pissed off about how long it takes to get anywhere that you don't even have time to feel unsafe. The metro and light rail only cover a tiny fraction of the city, and the buses will make you late to your own murder.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
I agree I find the filth and grime in these photos beautiful,
For a second I really thought I was alone.

Quote:

Exactly, I agree. I guess I really like the vintage/old look it has. The way the camera captured it.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:35 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,458 times
I have to chime in as someone who grew up in NYC. I'm a 70's kid, was a teen in the 80's so i remember seeing all of that and then some back in the day. I have mixed feelings...

Of course the subways were WAAAY more dangerous back then. People used to snatch earrings off of girls and run out the doors. Whenever me & my girls were headed to the Deuce (what we used to call Times Square) to go to Latin Quarters, we either 1) didn't wear earrings or jewelry period, or 2) wore the tiniest dot earrings you could ever imagine.

Also, you DID NOT want to fall asleep on the train. Not saying it never happen on my way back from a club, but i was VERY LUCKY. The scariest thing i ever woke up to was some guy playing w/himself across from me..disgusting. Unfortunately, my sister woke up w/a gun in her face, like one of the pics posted.

On the other hand, i'm glad i grew up during that time b/c there was an excitement in the air that i can't explain. NYC is so sterile now. I can remember when guys used to bring their boxes on the train & play mixtapes from Mr. Magic & Red Alert . Anyway, i digress... I think that once we started losing places like CBGBs, Empire Roller Skating rink, and Limelight, we started losing places that made NYC, NYC. It's not as unique anymore, it's still fun, but in a different way. Things were a lot looser then, of course that meant more crime, but it also meant more freedom, and more fun.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
I have to chime in as someone who grew up in NYC. I'm a 70's kid, was a teen in the 80's so i remember seeing all of that and then some back in the day. I have mixed feelings...

Of course the subways were WAAAY more dangerous back then. People used to snatch earrings off of girls and run out the doors. Whenever me & my girls were headed to the Deuce (what we used to call Times Square) to go to Latin Quarters, we either 1) didn't wear earrings or jewelry period, or 2) wore the tiniest dot earrings you could ever imagine.

Also, you DID NOT want to fall asleep on the train. Not saying it never happen on my way back from a club, but i was VERY LUCKY. The scariest thing i ever woke up to was some guy playing w/himself across from me..disgusting. Unfortunately, my sister woke up w/a gun in her face, like one of the pics posted.

On the other hand, i'm glad i grew up during that time b/c there was an excitement in the air that i can't explain. NYC is so sterile now. I can remember when guys used to bring their boxes on the train & play mixtapes from Mr. Magic & Red Alert . Anyway, i digress... I think that once we started losing places like CBGBs, Empire Roller Skating rink, and Limelight, we started losing places that made NYC, NYC. It's not as unique anymore, it's still fun, but in a different way. Things were a lot looser then, of course that meant more crime, but it also meant more freedom, and more fun.
Thats why I wish I could go back in time and just spend a few weeks in 70's NYC. I love the city now but it seemed to have such a darker looser idgaf feel than now.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Kids or no kids, I don't want a gun screwed into my ear on the subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City