Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 AM

25,364 posts, read 36,930,648 times

Advertisements

We can all do with a little less character in our subways, and fewer CHARACTERS. The MTA should strive for something TRULY novel, like CLEANLINESS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,035,904 times
I'm in my late 30s so I'm old enough to remember and it wasn't that great. True, everything was less sanitized and less cookie cutter but the threat of violence was very real. I don't think twice about jumping on the subway late night these days because its always busy and its way safer then it used to be. Back then most people with common sense didn't ride solo late night, you would have been asking for it. Never was mugged on the subway but I had my chain snatched on the bus by some bad a** kids from Roosevelt on the bx12. There used to be more nuisance cromes too. When's the last time you seen someone with an open container...smoking a cigarette...or riding btw cars? Lol. Keep the good old days.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM

47 posts, read 42,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Thank God those days are long gone. Can't stand graffiti.
Those days will be back soon enough.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,563,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrector View Post
Those days will be back soon enough.
With the way the city is run today in post 9-11 as a near police state, I wouldn't count on it. Back in those days it was much more of an "anything goes" type of place. Today it's not the same place. Anybody old enough to really remember the 70's and 80's in NY who hasn't been back regularly since, they always comment how radically changed the place is today.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM

142 posts, read 258,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
With the way the city is run today in post 9-11 as a near police state, I wouldn't count on it. Back in those days it was much more of an "anything goes" type of place. Today it's not the same place. Anybody old enough to really remember the 70's and 80's in NY who hasn't been back regularly since, they always comment how radically changed the place is today.
Especially Manhattan, truly night and day.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:55 PM

400 posts, read 981,363 times
People love looking at these pictures and all that but I doubt they would actually like to be transported to that time and have the guy with the red cap pointing a gun to their head for their loose change.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,443,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I agree. I don't think I would ever take any of the trains if they were that disgusting. I personally love the new trains that are around now.
I agree I love our new trains. But looking at these photos are also refreshing. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
People love looking at these pictures and all that but I doubt they would actually like to be transported to that time and have the guy with the red cap pointing a gun to their head for their loose change.
I concur, but from an artistic stand point, these photos are awesome. People can think they're repulsive but that's the magic of it all. We won't be able to go back, (I wasn't even born) but It's kind of cool to see how it was. . .

Idk, I'm just weird.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 PM

387 posts, read 677,860 times
I remember when the city was a real **** hole, dirty & dingy with smog hanging over the graffiti strewn city.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 PM

292 posts, read 703,602 times
I really like the nice, new looking CLEAN trains. I want them to stay that way.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 AM

669 posts, read 1,270,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

I concur, but from an artistic stand point, these photos are awesome. People can think they're repulsive but that's the magic of it all. We won't be able to go back, (I wasn't even born) but It's kind of cool to see how it was. . .

Idk, I'm just weird.

I agree I find the filth and grime in these photos beautiful, but I was born yet so never experienced the lifestyle and I don't want NY to go back to that this is a city thats constantly evolving. I'm sure ppl in the 70's complained about how great the city was in the 30's and ppl in 30's complained about how it was at the turn of the century and so on.

I accept it for what it is the greatest city in American by far and arguably the greatest city in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City