Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,190 times

Advertisements

I'm actually from the Midwest forums so I'm just passing through, but I'm just curious as to why NYC is so expensive overall in regard to Real estate and rents. Not trying to bash the city; I visited the Big Apple many years ago and nobody beats New York as far as culture and the good stuff. My dad's side of the family actually is from the northeastern US and I have to tell you, the northeast has got a LOT going for it. I don't buy into the stereotypes of New Yorkers and your neighbors; I've found that East Coasters tend to be the most open of all the areas of the Union. But I never could figure out why real estate/rents are so high here. Isn't high real estate sort of a downer for you? I wonder what would happen if NYC rents and real estate were to drop down to the price you pay in the Midwest.

Not trying to be a noob, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I'm actually from the Midwest forums so I'm just passing through, but I'm just curious as to why NYC is so expensive overall in regard to Real estate and rents.
Supply and demand.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I'm actually from the Midwest forums so I'm just passing through, but I'm just curious as to why NYC is so expensive overall in regard to Real estate and rents. Not trying to bash the city; I visited the Big Apple many years ago and nobody beats New York as far as culture and the good stuff. My dad's side of the family actually is from the northeastern US and I have to tell you, the northeast has got a LOT going for it. I don't buy into the stereotypes of New Yorkers and your neighbors; I've found that East Coasters tend to be the most open of all the areas of the Union. But I never could figure out why real estate/rents are so high here. Isn't high real estate sort of a downer for you? I wonder what would happen if NYC rents and real estate were to drop down to the price you pay in the Midwest.

Not trying to be a noob, just curious.
Because it's the Center of the Universe!

(I can't afford to live there either)

Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,481 times
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Supply and demand.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 PM

17 posts, read 42,155 times
Because its the greatest city on earth! Im sure the mid-west and other areas of the country have a ton to offer - but it depends on what you are looking for. New york city is very desireable for young people because there are so many career opportunities, great night life, lots of different forms of entertainment, etc etc. It also attracts a lot of immigrants because its so diverse. I cant say the same for too many other places in the world, and i have traveled all over.

and yes, as someone above mentioned - its simple supply and demand. If people werent interested in coming here, the prices would be much lower.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Because Manhattan has the only jobs left East of the Mississipppi.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Rents are high because people pay them.
If there were studio apartments for rent at 2500.00, which a lot of them are, if no one rented them the rent would have to be lowered, but there is always some idiot that will spend that amount on rent so thats why they keep going up.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,907 times
The free market dictates the price. Supply meet Demand.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Rents are high because people pay them.
If there were studio apartments for rent at 2500.00, which a lot of them are, if no one rented them the rent would have to be lowered, but there is always some idiot that will spend that amount on rent so thats why they keep going up.

there sure are a lot of idiots who are well off right?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
there sure are a lot of idiots who are well off right?

ain't that the truth....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City