Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Very well said. I agree with you 100%. I also find myself much less stressed out when I visit other places.
Thats because when you visit other places your usually in a different mindset in vacation mode and your not worrying about things in your everyday life like when your home where ever you live.

But anyway my family moved from NYC to Miami suburbs for 3 years and I loved it for maybe the first 5 months then got tired of it really fast. I hated the car culture, the ppl were really different I prefer NYers even though theres a lot down there, I actually hated that the weather was warm all year round I actually like the four seasons it makes where you live have a different feel every 3 months.

Me personally I just love really dense urban areas with four seasons high diversity and a lot of culture and NYC offers the most of that in this country. So I couldn't imagine living anywhere especially the suburbs I really hate the suburbs I'd rather live in the country.

But anyway a lot of family members and friends of my family moved from NY around the time we left and literally almost all have came back. I do think everyone should live outside the city for at least a year because it makes you appreciate how great and unique this place is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 AM

162 posts, read 458,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
If you move someplace and just compare it to NYC all the time, you will drive yourself nuts. I just find myself less stressed out when I visit other cities, and I've been to a lot of places.
Agreed. Even my friends were like "you're not in NY anymore, stop comparing."

Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Thats because when you visit other places your usually in a different mindset in vacation mode and your not worrying about things in your everyday life like when your home where ever you live.

But anyway my family moved from NYC to Miami suburbs for 3 years and I loved it for maybe the first 5 months then got tired of it really fast. I hated the car culture, the ppl were really different I prefer NYers even though theres a lot down there, I actually hated that the weather was warm all year round I actually like the four seasons it makes where you live have a different feel every 3 months.

Me personally I just love really dense urban areas with four seasons high diversity and a lot of culture and NYC offers the most of that in this country. So I couldn't imagine living anywhere especially the suburbs I really hate the suburbs I'd rather live in the country.

But anyway a lot of family members and friends of my family moved from NY around the time we left and literally almost all have came back. I do think everyone should live outside the city for at least a year because it makes you appreciate how great and unique this place is.
This is a good point. You have to really get into the swing of things in a new life somewhere before you can judge how you would feel day to day.

It breaks down to this: it's a matter of preference. Some people love NYC and could never imagine leaving, or if they do leave, can't wait to come back, and some people leave and never want to come back.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
A lot of people go wrong in their moves because of what Josh pointed out. A few vacations don't give you the perspective of even a few days of actually living in a particular place.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 AM

284 posts, read 516,643 times
My wife and I grew up in Queens. I have left numerous times over the years, (Miami,Connecticut). When we got married we moved to Long Island, then to Connecticut. We are now looking to move to Denver. We dont like to move around, we are just looking for the best place to raise a family. We do not miss Queens at all!! We do miss being so close to Manhattan..but thats about it.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM

176 posts, read 730,107 times
I left in 2002 with my husband we rented a 2bdrm 2 bath apartment. I was happy but my husband was not so about a year and half later we moved back. We moved back to tiny apartment in Sheapshead bay paying 4 hundred dollars more with non of the amenities we had living else where, such as washer and dryer in apartment, fire place, 2 full bedrms with master suite.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM

199 posts, read 365,765 times
Well, I grew up in NY in the 70's. Into high school I was so fed up with the troublemakers and thugs, and got into so many fights that my mom moved me to Puerto Rico (it was paradise back then). I'm grateful that she did, or I'd probably have ended up dead or in juvie for assault with a deadly weapon or manslaughter, that's how bad it was getting at that time. As it turned out, I did pretty well after that.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
I left to go to college in 1980, moved back for a year after I graduated, and then left for the next four years. I basically missed the 80s, which was probably not a bad thing.

I enjoyed life outside of NYC and I never missed it until I decided that I wanted to date more, and the options where I was living were slim. I managed to get a job transfer back to NYC and I've been here ever since. No regrets on leaving or returning. My experiences in both places have influenced my life in a positive way.

Lately, I've been thinking about where I'd like to live after I retire. I don't want to live anywhere that requires you to drive to pick up a few groceries or your stuff at the pharmacy, and a warmer climate would be great too.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:31 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby23 View Post
My wife and I grew up in Queens. I have left numerous times over the years, (Miami,Connecticut). When we got married we moved to Long Island, then to Connecticut. We are now looking to move to Denver. We dont like to move around, we are just looking for the best place to raise a family. We do not miss Queens at all!! We do miss being so close to Manhattan..but thats about it.

I could see this. Moving out of NYC is really asking if most of us could live without having access to Manhattan. I find that when I leave manhattan out of the equation, I could easily not skip a heartbeat moving away from Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island or the Bronx. In all honesty, the only thing I could see myself missing is the city.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
I left NYC 2 years ago when my company relocated me to Atlanta, GA (A re-lo that I initiated). I was a NYer who took full advantage of the entire city, all 4 boros (Staten Island is still a mystery to me).

I will always love, respect NYC and be thankful that I grew up in NYC before it became somewhat commercialized and watered down. But sadly, alot of NYers don't realize is that there is more to the world then NYC. After spending time with my best friend who currently lives in Melbourne, Aus I realized you can be happy anywhere, because happiness is up to the individual.

Also I realized, why sacrifice QUALITY OF LIFE just to live in the "cool city", because after you grow up you don't collect "cool points" for substandard living conditions. Besides the street being dirty and rat infested, just the quality of housing is horrendous. I understand all the reasons why (older city, lack of space, etc), but I just got tired of it.

It's funny, all my native NYer friends were all for the move and all my transplant friends were against it which I understand too. They probably spent their childhoods dreaming about living in NY, and by growing up "cool" (a joke), I took the city for granted. I may move back one day for a lucrative opportunity, but it will be hard re-adjusting; cramp substandard housing, no parking, the rats, and the chain stores and restaurants on every corner now (wow sounds alot more like Kansas now).

To answer the question, 2 years out, so far so good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City