Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:51 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

In Bayside, you want District 26, as part of the area is District 25. District 26 is the highest-ranked zoned school area in the city. Outside of Queens, you could look in The Bronx, in Riverdale. You can sometimes find buys in Riverdale that have good schools, but you have to be up the hill, not in adjacent areas of Kingsbridge that some try to make part of Riverdale.

You can take the express bus all the way to 34th Street, as well, so it would not be a hike to the subway and/or MNRR to Grand Central and subway, although that is not a bad option, either, as you can be in Midtown in 30 minutes, but it's much more expensive than the subway-only commute. That's the same issue you would have in Eastern Queens, a longer bus-to-subway commute, or the expense of LIRR. On $70k gross, that would be a huge bite out of your family budget, such that it may not be realistic, though the commute times are attractive. It is easier to keep a car in Riverdale and Eastern Queens, though, but check with your insurer, as off-street parking might be another hit to the budget that would not make it attractive.

I also think that even if you found a decent buy in Riverdale or Eastern Queens, you would be in 1BR territory, based upon your gross income. You might find a JR4 in some parts of Riverdale, but you might have to hunt for a 2BR that's realistically affordable. Sure, at $80k, you could qualify for up to $2k in rent, but for a family of three? When you add in city tax, commuting costs, etc., it might very well be easier to live in NJ right now.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
how about Staten Island? Very affordable and your dollars willl go much further there. My friends earn 75K and they are a family of 4. Their rent used to be $1000 for a 2 bedroom in one of the nicer sections.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
how about Staten Island? Very affordable and your dollars willl go much further there. My friends earn 75K and they are a family of 4. Their rent used to be $1000 for a 2 bedroom in one of the nicer sections.
The commute from SI is a horror show. I would recommend Bay Ridge (good schools, good community). But even from there the commute wouldn't be great.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM

284 posts, read 516,436 times
Definetly Northern Queens. Bayside or Auburndale (a section of Flushing next to Bayside) will put you very close to the LIRR which is about 30 minutes to Penn Station. I did the commute for two years so it is very manageable. He will not want to drive into the city!

The area is one of the better areas in queens, near the water with some nice parks around and you should be able to rent a decent sized place for a good price. I lived on Ashby and Utopia PKWY for 2 years in a 3 bedroom, 1500 sq ft house for abouut $1300 a month. That was about 5 years ago.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM

202 posts, read 686,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitmarsNY View Post
I might be a bit biased, but I would pick the ditmars part of Astoria. Takes about 20minutes on the subway to penn station, parking is good in the area and look up PS122Q for public school. You guys should manage fine on that salary here
If im not mistaken, PS 122 requires testing to get in, it's a gifted school. For the general populace, they would attend PS 85, which is a pretty average school. After Elementary, school quality deteriorates. Middle Schools are IS 126 and IS 141. 126 is horrible, and 141 isn't that great. Don't get me started on High Schools in the area. Long Island City and William C Bryant High Schools, both terrible and near several housing projects. Those are pretty much the options for an Astoria resident looking to attend neighborhood schools.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
If your address puts you into the zone for PS/IS 178, it's performance is strong and it goes from KGN - 8th grade.

That would be Jamaica Estates/Fresh Meadows/Holliswood but check out the exact zoning for the school as the border of the zone is a little tricky.

The area is suburban-like but there are transportation alternatives including express buses, and although it's in a zone where you cannot walk to the subway, the bus ride to the subway isn't too long.

Cunningham Park is close by with baseball fields, tennis, bicycle trails, outdoor cooking facilities, there are concerts and other shows in the summer too.

Here's some info on the school, and good luck to you.
P.S./I.S. 178 Holliswood - insideschools.org

Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 AM

197 posts, read 517,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
If im not mistaken, PS 122 requires testing to get in, it's a gifted school. For the general populace, they would attend PS 85, which is a pretty average school. After Elementary, school quality deteriorates. Middle Schools are IS 126 and IS 141. 126 is horrible, and 141 isn't that great. Don't get me started on High Schools in the area. Long Island City and William C Bryant High Schools, both terrible and near several housing projects. Those are pretty much the options for an Astoria resident looking to attend neighborhood schools.
ps122 requires testing only for junior high, if you set your kids on the correct path they should be able to get in. After that most kids in that program go onto the specialized high schools. At the end of the day it's up to the parents to make a "good" student. Too many parents blaming schools, teachers, blah, blah, blah. A good student will make the best of any school, imo

Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NE Queens, especially Bayside, might have what you're looking for. Middle class and (I think) decent schools. I met someone who grew up there, went to public schools, though a magnet for high school. Lived walking distance to a LIRR station, train ride to Penn Station was under 30 minutes.

If they are relying only on his salary, $70k for a family of 3 in Bayside doesn't seem feasible. I can't remember the last time I saw rent in that area or Flushing that was under $1500 month. The parts of Bayside you're referring to is very pricey because of the bus and train convenience. Also, aside from rent, other expenses need to be factored in such as car and gas (OP mentioned her husband's job may require driving). The way gas costs these days, it's become a larger expense. Also, I found parking in Bayside has always been horrendous. Unless you live farther away from the shopping and restaurants, you can drive around for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:57 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby23 View Post
Definetly Northern Queens. Bayside or Auburndale (a section of Flushing next to Bayside) will put you very close to the LIRR which is about 30 minutes to Penn Station. I did the commute for two years so it is very manageable. He will not want to drive into the city!

The area is one of the better areas in queens, near the water with some nice parks around and you should be able to rent a decent sized place for a good price. I lived on Ashby and Utopia PKWY for 2 years in a 3 bedroom, 1500 sq ft house for abouut $1300 a month. That was about 5 years ago.
Wow! How did you score that one? 2 Bedroom apt's have always gone for more than that in that area.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
If they are relying only on his salary, $70k for a family of 3 in Bayside doesn't seem feasible. I can't remember the last time I saw rent in that area or Flushing that was under $1500 month.
But are the suburbs much better? Long Island can be very pricey too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City