Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM

155 posts, read 426,052 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

There is a horrendous smell coming from my neighbor's apartment. Their door is RIGHT next to mine(since theirs is at the end of the hall) and the smell is now emanating into my apartment. It smells like fecal matter (human and animal) as well as assorted other garbage.

I have contacted the leasing agent and left messages and they don't seem to care. I have contacted 311 and we know how that goes. The super tells me she is a hoarder and I suspect she is, but there is nothing he can do about it. I've told her about this and left her notes, but it still smells like feces in the hallway and my apartment.

I guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to rectify the situation? Please!?!?

I can't keep hanging dryer sheets around my door and running down the hallway holding my breath and spraying air freshener in my apartment every 20 minutes for the rest of my life.

Thank you for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM

240 posts, read 557,701 times
The only advice I can give is that I once lived in an apt. with a similar problem. After speaking to the landlord several times, finally it came out that my next door neighbors were very old, the man was a veteran, and that the woman had a colostomy bag, which evidently was rarely changed. (we thought it was cat poop, imagine our horror when our landlord called us around dinner time and told us THAT).

Eventually we embarrassed the woman into taking better care of herself. I know it's horrible but it's life.

Good luck.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
The woman is obviously dead bro.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM

240 posts, read 557,701 times
^^or that.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Man found dead in movie theatre bathroom after five days

I know you already tried 311 but there is also an online complaint form. Wouldn't hurt to do this as well.
https://www.nyc.gov/apps/311universa...F-96DAE110FEB8

Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Welcome to Queens. Hahaha

Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
The smell of a decomposing body is very distinctive.

A. She is dead.
B. She collects roadkill.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM

155 posts, read 426,052 times
Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys but I know she is definitely not dead!

She is very old and if her entryway (the only thing I can see inside her apartment) is any indication, she is definitely a hoarder.

Not only is she old, but she certainly isn't a very nice person, which is why I don't mind telling her how I feel. However, she just shrugs it off in a "well, I live in filth and human excrement and the smell doesn't bother me!" sort of way.

Thank for for the link, Henna. That is the form I had filled out already but to no avail yet.

And i've never smelled a dead body before, so i'm not sure if something or someone in there is dead.

Should I call the FD to find out!?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyQueens View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys but I know she is definitely not dead!
Ok, great she is not dead but whatever she has in her apt that's creating the foul smell is a violation against NYC health code and acquires immediate attention by qualified professionals but how to get in contact with them is a cumbersome question indeed.

It's clear that she cannot live in a normal building with other tenants anymore and I guess your not going to invite friends over for dinner either.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Your landlord should be dealing with this problem--not you. When they say there is nothing they can do about it that means they don't want to go through the process of getting her evicted. It's expensive, time consuming, and if she pays her rent they probably think why bother.

Can you move out? If they won't let you break your lease I'd take them to court personally. That's awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City