U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:47 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,512,244 times

Advertisements

I checked on Craigslist and some clever person was calling the southern most part (around 67th St & 4th Ave) "Sun Ridge" - Sunset Park/Bay Ridge border.

LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Disagree. In NYC there is too much fluctuation even within neighborhoods for this to not be a valid question. If I wanted to move to Queens, I know NOTHING about the different areas within Queens to determine safety. Is Flushing "safe"? I don't know since I've never been there and don't know anyone that lives there. The only things I know about Queens are 1) the beer garden in Astoria and 2) how to get to the Airports. Everything else comes from what I've seen in the movie Coming to America. This is why many people have misconceptions about so many neighborhoods or whole boroughs (i.e. The Bronx); they've never been there, don't know anyone living there, and all other knowledge comes form the media.

Also, areas change constantly in NYC. Even take a place like Park Slope. 30 years ago it was a very different place than it is now. Ft Green of the 80s and 90s, complete 180 from what it is now. Someone that would have been familiar with NYC in the 70s would have no idea of the type of neighborhoods these areas have evolved into today.
The problem with your argument and mentality is ONE OF Presumption.

As you state you do not *know*.

So, the question is then WHY do you have such a presumptive attitude?

If you know nothing, then why don't you presume SAFETY?

In asking such a question, it is inherent that you presume everyone has an equal preception of SAFETY, and therefore can comment specifically to your inane concerns.

Th question also is presumptive in assuming that there is some universal standard of "safety" which is identified and recognized by commonly by all. Perhaps in some sterile suburban circumstance this might be so; but, it is not and cannot be so in NYC.

Such questions are not simple innocent inquisitives, but rather direct statements of ignorant narrow minds; as if their could be any reality to an answer of 'yes' or, anything definitive to an answer of 'no'.

There also is the presumption of equality, as if what might be safe for me, will be safe for you!

So, generic questions of safety are just pointless and irritatingly stupid.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,311 times
I live just off 4th ave, and while I love the neighborhood, I'm glad I don't have to go by 5th ave at night. It's so lively and active during the day that the stark contrast at night makes me nervous. That, and after the PR Pride parade last weekend, I saw a guy get a bottle smashed over his head, and a fight broke out. Again, I really do love the neighborhood: fabulous food, friendly neighbors, good transportation; and I often come home late (and maybe a little tipsy), and I've never had issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or