U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 27,543,660 times

Advertisements

I moved in in 2005. at the time the vinyl floor tiles in the kitchen/hallway area were intact but not all were lined up 100 %(some had gaps in between them)

with time, wear and tear and the dry air in the tiles are cracking, many have come out, but not all

i already spoke to the super he suggested just replacing all of the tiles

i also went called the housing board (DHRC rent office) and they told me i could either send them a request for repairs via certified mail or make an arrangement with the super without sending a letter, with the understanding that i can't deduct anything from the rent for any tips or expense for the tiles(which i already knew)

the super has proven to be excellent in the past (I paid he and wife to clean my kitchen a few years ago) and reliable. i will be speaking to him Saturday AM when he is available

going the route of certified mail can be a pain. what would be the best and quickest way? i know many feel supers don't need a tip but they're good hard working folks and deserve a tip. i have some money to spend on it but i want to get an idea what would be a reasonable tip for replacing half the apt floor tiles(the other half is hardwood which i maintain myself). they need replacement because it just looks unsightly with them missing. the intact tiles of course would have to be taken out as well as the torn tiles

is there anything i should know?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM

although i doubt the super and wife will ask for a lot, is it possible that if i didn't sent a certified letter requesting the repair, they might ask for more than if i had sent a letter?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM

10,754 posts, read 25,537,232 times
I would see if you could come to a friendly arrangement with the super, since you have worked well with them in the past. It depends upon the scope of the project as to the cost. Do you have to furnish the tiles, or will he furnish the tiles that the landlord has used in the building and just charge you for the materials? I would get a materials cost, if possible, and then add a tip for the time that they work on the project. Since they are within the scope of their job duties, i.e, making repairs to the building, I would not be inclined to be excessive with respect to a tip, but would give them enough to make it worthwhile. Basically, I would tip for the replacement tiles portion of the job, not the demolition, as that would be part of their job, and if they do a great job, I'd give a bit more. Maybe $200 would be a good base tip, with $250 for a great job?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 PM

what happened was i asked what colors should i go out and buy the tiles in since only some of them were gone and others were still there

the super said to just replace all of them which makes sense. last we spoke i think he said he;d go out and get tiles and we agreed there would be some kind of tip involved

the $$ you mentioned seems within ballpark with regards to what i am thinking about

Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
What you should know is that if those tiles were laid before 1975, you are going to have big issues with asbestos abatement, especially if they are "friable." (breakable/shredddable)

DON'T involve the City and make believe you know NOTHING about how the super took it off and disposed of it. Wear a mask if you are ANYWHERE nearr the operation, and scrub EVERYTHING when they are done.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 AM

the tiles are vinyl does that involve asbestos? i think it's glue that holds them down but i don't know about these things. if i had to guess i might say that asbestos might be an issue with my parents old floor where their tiles were more like ceramic

Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
the tiles are vinyl does that involve asbestos? i think it's glue that holds them down but i don't know about these things. if i had to guess i might say that asbestos might be an issue with my parents old floor where their tiles were more like ceramic
It depends on when the tiles were made. Most before 1980 were vinyl asbestos but the amounts of asbestos ranged from tiny amounts to quite a large amount. Some manufacturers back to the 1940's and earlier included asbestos. If they weere put down AFTER 1980, doubltful, you have little to worry about.
No, it's not the glue that's a problem but the tiles themselves.
Covering them is never an issue but tearing them up definitely IS.

I have the issue myself and have toyed with covering with Wall to Wall carpeting...but I HATE the stuff. Eventually I'd like to pull it up and put down a hardwoood floor...but that "pulling it up" has me nervous (as well as the expense of installing hardwood ) I also guess it could be just CONVERED with a floating wood laminate...cheaper.

Here is EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about asbestos tiles. Check especially the links to Armstong's identification section. You might even find a picture of your EXACT tile.

How to identify asbestos floor tiles or asbestos-containing sheet flooring - Asbestos Visual Identification in buildings: How to find recognize, and identify asbestos or asbestos-containing materials in buildings by visual inspection methods - text a

I suspect that many of the lung problems that first responsers of the WTC collapse and demolition are suffereing from are the effects of inhaling some of the tons of released asbestos.

But if your super is willing to do the job for you, no questions asked, be willing to give him a VERY large tip. (I would gladly pay $1000 if someone would rip mine up and cart it away.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-27-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 AM

wow Kefir King you provided me with a lifetime of tile ID!! thanks again.

i didn't find the exact color pattern but i can say that my tiles are 12"X 12" with a black sticky sheeting on back. there is no manufacturers ID on them. perhaps closely coincide with Armstrong brand made after 1980

if i asked the super or landlord if they knew the year of installation do you think they would know? would they know WHY i am asking?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM

155 posts, read 349,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
if i asked the super or landlord if they knew the year of installation do you think they would know? would they know WHY i am asking?
I wouldn't do that! Asbestos eradication is a very serious concern and can be a very seriously liability to the landlord.

Just check out a video asbestos removal on youtube and you can see.

If you are going to replace them without their knowledge, i would recommend not bringing it up! Some people take asbestos a lot more seriously than others, so who knows......

All I know is I wouldn't bring it up.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM

10,754 posts, read 25,537,232 times
I doubt that your tile is the first that needed to be replaced in the building, so he must have a source for the tile. And, given that it's vinyl tile, which does not always have the longest use cycle, as it can move, peel, etc., you're probably not dealing with asbestos as I doubt it's the first floor used in the apartment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or