U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,690,860 times

Advertisements

When more regular people ride bikes, the "outlaw" culture of nyc biking will diminish and we will all be safer. Peer pressure works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,641,809 times
Well we can complain about drivers not being courteous/respectful/obeying the laws, should we ban them? Same goes for everything else...should we ban anyone from owning a house/building because there are some who don't maintain them or follow the rules?

So please, stop the excuses. And yes no doubt some bikes will be stolen...and to that I say SO WHAT. There are people who get stabbed in broad daylight, should we never go outside? You may choke to death eating a bagel..should we outlaw them?

You are welcome to worry about all the negatives in the world, but we should not stop progress because of potential issues. Otherwise, we will never do anything and all hide in our basements forever. The bike share program is a great idea, will not be perfect (what is), but overall it is a great option and will alleviate traffic ideally, encourage people to exercise, and decrease pollution.

But hey let's just ignore that and kill the whole thing because some people don't obey all the traffic rules or some bikes will be stolen. I am glad I don't live in your depressing world.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,059,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
The fact you guys completely missed the point of my post only proves my point.

I never said I had a problem with bicyclists or even bike paths. Go back and read it. My problem is with bicyclists who think the rules of the road do not apply to them. Renting out bikes to people who are new here will only exacerbate the problem. If you're courteous, there's no issue.

Same thing with drivers, I'm sure you will all agree. No one has a problem with the person signaling in front of you to change lanes. However you will have a problem with the jerk cutting you off without warning.
Well said..........

Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,059,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Anyway, after dodging innumerable pedestrians, a garbage truck or two, a police car, a couple of cabs, cart vendors, bag people, and the inevitable wrong-way biker, all just in a short section of the 9th avenue bike lane (and yes, that's a typical experience), you might not be surprised that bicyclists figure it's every man for himself on the street.
In bold - makes a great case that all these bike lanes in congested areas may be impractical.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,752,814 times
Bike theft is up indeed. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. And forget about it if you have an electric bike, those get stolen even faster.

I will recommend spending good money on a worthwhile lock. I currently use a Kryptonite lock which you would need a chainsaw to cut through. I had my bike chained in front of my house for months and no one stole it, although other bikes in the area disappeared.

Let me put it this way. I know someone who had the lock on their electric bike and chained it to some scaffolding. The person wanted to steal the electric bike badly, but knew he wasn't going to be able to cut the lock. He CUT THE SCAFFOLDING to steal the bike. That's how ridiculous it gets.

I'm not saying outlaw it for crying out loud. I love how people like to take my comments way out of context.

Maybe I'm biased because of the stupidity I've seen displayed in the McCarren Park area. People riding the wrong way, while talking on their cellphones, while listening to music, riding in the center of the lane, running red lights, no disregard for anyone.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,964,190 times
Ok the places I'd like to see Bike-share stations.

In Queens; Forest Hills, Flushing main st, Astoria park, Long Island city (Qns plaza), Rockaway beach (during the summer months)

In Brooklyn; Brooklyn heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Dumbo, close the beach during the summer (brighton beach & manhattan beach)

In Manhattan I would to see in battery park, midtown (along west side hghwy), Spanish harlem, midtown on the exit to the Qns boro bridge, and city hall.
Also one on columbus circle.

That pretty much sums it up.
if NYC had a bike-share station on all those spots, most NYers would benefit it from them.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 AM

4,913 posts, read 6,864,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Maybe I'm biased because of the stupidity I've seen displayed in the McCarren Park area. People riding the wrong way, while talking on their cellphones, while listening to music, riding in the center of the lane, running red lights, no disregard for anyone.
"But, like, ya man....we're like, taking the streets back maaaaan. This is like, a bike revolution man, like yah..."

Old 01-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
"But, like, ya man....we're like, taking the streets back maaaaan. This is like, a bike revolution man, like yah..."
You just reminded me I haven't checked in at DH yet.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM

4,913 posts, read 6,864,803 times
Haha

Old 01-28-2012, 12:57 PM

It all reminded me of this clip:

Portlandia bike clip - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or