Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,184,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Funny....your the one mentioning race and the southern bronx...I just point out your lousy comment.

Just anticipating what 90% of your post content is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,156,283 times
Bike share has proven to be very effective worldwide. In our case we have been given the opportunity to provide more community input then any other program yet. Imagine that, a little control over the development of our city.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Imagine that, a little control over the development of our city.

The development of our city has been out of control for some time now, and frankly you consistently cheerlead it.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times
Development hasn't been rampant...have you even stepped outside of the prime districts in Manhattan? There are so many blighted, and empty lots it's completely ridiculous. With the absolute demand for housing, how can we continue to leave lots empty, and underutilized wharehouses vacant and deteriorated? In 2012?!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,156,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The development of our city has been out of control for some time now, and frankly you consistently cheerlead it.
Out of control, let me rephrase that. We have a say in this new development, not very common. Talking about the surge of development, it has been good for our city. At least most projects. Not so much the counter-urban developments or cheap fedders style type homes.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Out of control, let me rephrase that. We have a say in this new development, not very common. Talking about the surge of development, it has been good for our city. At least most projects. Not so much the counter-urban developments or cheap fedders style type homes.

Even though you believe that every little idea that this administration shoves down our throat or every cheaply built, yuppie spaceship that bloomberg and his real estate buddies throw up is good for the city; I'm glad to see that you at least acknowledge that they are indeed being shoved down our throats.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,592,606 times
The fact you guys completely missed the point of my post only proves my point.

I never said I had a problem with bicyclists or even bike paths. Go back and read it. My problem is with bicyclists who think the rules of the road do not apply to them. Renting out bikes to people who are new here will only exacerbate the problem. If you're courteous, there's no issue.

Same thing with drivers, I'm sure you will all agree. No one has a problem with the person signaling in front of you to change lanes. However you will have a problem with the jerk cutting you off without warning.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM

400 posts, read 980,202 times
I vote to put a bike station in front of Bloombergs house.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 PM

147 posts, read 313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
More attempts to turn NYC into Portlandia.

Maybe I would be more for it if the people who actually ride bikes around here respected the rules of the road. Just because you are on a bike does not mean you can ignore traffic laws everyone else has to follow. Just helmets and lights on the front and back of bikes (which are required) are 2 off the top of my head that so many violate. Don't even get me started on the ones who think red lights don't apply to them.

And before someone thinks I have a car I actually don't. But I've lost count of how many people have almost ran me over with their bike. I ride a bike once in a while myself, and I wouldn't pull half the crap these people do.
Helmets are not required for adults...front and back lights are required at night as are reflectors. I don't get why people complain about getting "run over" by a bike. Do you look both ways? Would you rather get run over by a car?

Bikeshare would sound like a great idea...if only NYC wasn't home to some of the craftiest bike thieves in America.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,101,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
More attempts to turn NYC into Portlandia.
Don't worry; New Yorkers will steal and vandalize the bikes and thereby set the west-coast utopian urbanists straight.

Quote:
Maybe I would be more for it if the people who actually ride bikes around here respected the rules of the road. Just because you are on a bike does not mean you can ignore traffic laws everyone else has to follow. Just helmets and lights on the front and back of bikes (which are required)
Helmets are not required and lights are not required during the daytime.

Anyway, after dodging innumerable pedestrians, a garbage truck or two, a police car, a couple of cabs, cart vendors, bag people, and the inevitable wrong-way biker, all just in a short section of the 9th avenue bike lane (and yes, that's a typical experience), you might not be surprised that bicyclists figure it's every man for himself on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: