Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,111 times

Advertisements

This coming up Saturday, I will be making the trip from NYC to Florida. Usually, I rode along while my parents drove, but now I am going to visit them. I am leaving at 8am Saturday morning. Any suggestions on what:

1. tunnel/bridge I should use to leave the city

2. should I take I-95 all the way down, and or use 295 in certain cities

3. I don't mind tolls, but I know the NE corridor has a lot of them, is there any way around the majority of them

4. are there any horrible speeding traps? I don't usually speed, but I do go with the flow of traffic and usually go about 2-5 over. (The only exception is when I'm on the LIE, but that's because I know the LIE well )

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
grant516

n/a posts
I 95 all the way. Do what you can to avoid NYC & DC traffic, those are the only ones that should be major.

For that long a haul, I'd probably stay overnight somewhere (an hour or two into SC is a good bet, little over half way). Though it's doable without a stop.

The tolls aren't bad. If in fact you can avoid the $13 Verrazzano toll.

be cautious on i95 in VA. There's one county in particular Spotsylvania, that has the speed limit at 10 less than the others, and it an absolute speed trap. In VA I would go the posted speed limit.

Enjoy the drive.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:39 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Being a shunpiker on that route would entail using secondary roads to avoid the tolls. For example, you could take 301 in Maryland for about 90 miles from the Delaware line to the east side of DC. The problem is it has a lower speed limit, traffic lights, and some congestion, when compared to paying tolls for the Delaware Memorial Bridge and the tunnel in Baltimore.

It's a bit easier in NJ since 295 parallels the Turnpike through South Jersey. In fact, with all the construction on the Turnpike right now, 295 can actually be faster. You would need to take exit 7A as if you were heading to Princeton from the Turnpike, and follow 195 to 295 south.

Another option to avoid the I-95 toll corridor, would be to take I-81 through Pennsylvania, taking Route 15 in Maryland to Frederick; then branching off to take I-270 toward Washington, and then The Beltway (495) to I-95S. It adds about an hour to the trip from NYC to DC to use that route. However, on summer weekends, and other peak travel weekends, it can actually work out faster than dealing with hours-long delays of beach/shore traffic.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-10-2011, 05:48 PM

389 posts, read 1,229,605 times
If the weather is nice I95 in Northern VA can be horrible on the weekends, because everyone is going somewhere and the area is landlocked by water and the marine base.

I'd really encourage you to stop often at rest areas and just stretch your legs for 10 minutes. It can make a big difference.

Oh, 95 in NC is realllllllllllllllllllllly boring.

If you get half way through FL and are sick of the expressway, you can take US1 or even A1A for a scenic route. US1 in melbourne goes by the Indian River with some nice views. A1A is right on the beach.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,465 times
Good Luck, that drive is hell. The worst part of that trip to me is driving through the Carolina's, which takes about 7 hours. Stop as often as you can, and watch out for state troopers, who aren't very kind to drivers with NY plates...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 AM

233 posts, read 720,396 times
stopping frequently is just going to make your time in the car even longer. IMO only stop when absolutely necessary (e.g. get gas, bathroom break, stretch legs, eat .... all at the same stop). You could add several hours to this trip stopping frequently. As mentioned above, the only places you really need to pay attention is around NY and around DC, otherwise, it's pretty much a flat straight drive.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
First, get Easypass, you can't use it everywhere, but where you can it makes a big difference. Otherwise you'll have to pay cash and wait in long lines.

Second, I guess you think 8am is early? Better to leave 3:30 or 4:30 am, beat the traffice over the GW bridge/tunnels, and you definitely want to beat the Baltimore/DC/VA traffic. The interchange near Baltimore can get clogged if there's an accident; and can be dangerous when its clear, since you'll need to cross a number of lanes, right to left, against cars traveling at SPEED! You really want to be past DC by 8 am. Worst thing to be frustrated and exhausted from fighting traffic and you're just past DC with a LONG road ahead!

The only interchange like it in NYC is where the BQE, Gowanus Expwy, Prospect Expwy, and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel traffic converge. Entry into the exchange is at the four corners with traffic going everywhichway. The Baltimore exchange is very much the same, except the speeds are considerably higher. If memory serves, you've got to go from far right to far left! Nobody is going to 'let you in', they're traveling too fast. So, its best to be early and beat the traffic, particularly if your car doesn't have good get up and Go!

Third, decide ahead whether to go around the DC beltway, or thru DC. Going thru can be a challenge, very easy to miss exits, paricularly if driving alone. Better to have a navigator/second pair of eyes. GPS works I guess, but might be dangerous if you react too quickly. Going round the beltway is safer and less likely to get lost, but takes more time, can run into jams, and can be a mind-numbing drive.

Past the Beltway its a mind numbing zoom for most of the way. These days traffic is heavy (where did all these people come from) but moving fast. Cars generally are grouped together in moving blocks traveling 70 to 80 at speed. Arguably better drivers move through the blocks of traffic at speeds of 90 to 100.

There are 'traps', cops find spots to hide and hit you with laser. Nice to have equipment to seek them out, but if you know their habits, you can spot the places they might hide ahead. Gotta be vigilant watching the road. I like to find a car driving well and moving fast. I'll let him lead and follow safely back, but stay with him. That way he'll be first to be hit with the laser. Gotta be careful with NY plates, given a choice southern cops will pick the NY plate every time! Happened to me once, "what about the guy in front?!", cop just stone faced me while writing the ticke.

The great thing is the ticket doesn't count as points against your license. Just pay the fine and that's it. That was somewhere in the middle of Georgia, on the way back to NYC from Atlanta.

I will change my oil a few days before leaving, new brakes, new windshield wipers, wash/clean the car, apply Rain X, check the tire tread, make sure the tires are properly pressurized, make sure in the trunk I've got the basic survival stuff, a jug of water, some dry food stuff, catnip, flashlight, blanket, extra charged phone battery, etc.

It's also a good time to change the coolant, and the transmission fluid! Doing an engine flush doesn't hurt. I'll also have the dealer do a general vehicle check, hoses, etc. Oh, and before you leave make sure the A/C is in good condition. Florida w/o A/C is like agggg! I like to drive, so I want my vehicle in top condition, as I push it hard to the limit. I hate all the other people on the road in my way!

Once at Jacksonville, I'll check temps, coolant, oil, etc., and especially tires!! Florida's heat is tough on cars and especially tires. You know all those tire treads along the side of the road. You don't want that, and certainly not at speed. So, if you've got cheap tires, check them often. Look for cracks, rips, shredding where the tread meets the sidewall. My advice. Your feet/tires are the most important vehicle factor. Always buy the best.

Like someone said, the drive is monotonus has hell. If time allows, breaking the trip up is a good idea. These days I take my absolute time. Meaning, I don't drive at night. I look to get off the road at dusk. I've made the trip many times, though not lately. I have stopping points and hotels I always use. I make reservations in advance. If you don't have reservations, then don't wait toooo late to find a place to stop. Hotels/Motels fill up VERY quickly, even the ones in the middle of nowhere. Worst thing is to be dead tired trying to find a room in the middle of the night.

Check travelers books and/or online. Pick a place within a morning to evening drive. Some place interesting with a decent hotel, decent restaurant(s), maybe a good movie theater, bowling, whatever. Make reservations, stop at dusk, take a shower, have a good meal, walk around, take a movie, see the local mall, bowling, whatever, get some sleep, have a nice breakfast, then hit the road nice and fresh.

Its important for safe driving, plus you don't want to be all exhausted with road noise still ringing in your ears. Better to be nice and fresh ready to enjoy yourself right away once you get there.

Luck and have a good time. I'm envious!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,605 times
Take the Beltway (which I95 becomes part of). Ignore your GPS about taking the GW pkway to 295 unless you want to get lost in SE DC.

Taking time to stretch your legs for 10 min every 2-3 hours is better than arriving in a coffin. When I went to Australia they had signs EVERYWHERE about stopping every 2 hours and not driving drowsy. You can get into a 'tired of sitting in the car' zone without ever realizing. I'm always refreshed from a quick rest stop.

Oh I always go on the I95 website to look up construction and outlet malls to stop at.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If you take I-95, I agree that you want to avoid the Baltimore-Washington Parkway from Baltimore for a few reasons. It gets heavy traffic, the path through DC to the bridge is confusing if you're not familiar. And, it's a federal road, so if you have a propensity to speed (lower speed limit than I-95), the tickets can be more problematic to adjudicate. It's also two lanes in each direction, and can get congested at certain exits.

At Baltimore, you can take the Fort McHenry tunnel or the Harbor Tunnel, but remember that the speed limits drop on both approaches, and are enforced. Delaware has lower speed limits, too, so I would not be the only car speeding through Delaware.

When you reach the DC suburbs, take the Beltway toward Alexandria, and the Wilson Bridge, through Maryland. Avoid Tysons Corner, as the Virginia side is under construction from McLean for the new HOT lanes. The stretch of 495 from the Wilson Bridge to I-95 South is also under construction. However, if you have time and want a little diversion, exit at Alexandria, and take the George Washington Parkway south. It will take you to Mount Vernon, past the Grist Mill, and Woodlawn Plantation - any of which makes a good stop for an hour or two of sightseeing if the schedule allows. Mount Vernon would take longer, but the other two could be feasible. Woodlawn also has a Wright Usonian house. The drive is pleasant. Follow that to Mount Vernon Memorial Highway (2 lane road) to a left at Route 1 South (in front of Woodlawn), and you can get back on I-95 via Route 1, which is a bit slower, overall, but not a bad drive, especially since stretches of I-95 from 495 south through Springfield, Newington, and Lorton, are among the most congested parts of the roadway (yes, even on a Saturday).

I tend to leave at very odd times when traveling from Manhattan or Westchester back to DC, sometimes midnight or 2-3am. Occassionally, one will encounter congestion from construction at those times, especially during the warmer months.

Have a safe trip

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
OP you are a brave soul lol. All the suggestions are pretty spot on. The furthest I've personally driven on 95S is VA and that was long enough for me! But anyways you could stick to 95S and just stomach the tolls which pretty much run from NYC to Baltimore. I would take the GWB and then stay on the 95 express lanes which will turn into the Turnpike remember the little money you save by avoiding toll routes will be spent on gas and wasted time. Also 8am is actually too late. I would leave between 11pm and 1am so when 8am rolls around you would already be in the Carolinas. I'd imagine the trip for a solo driver would be about 2-3 days. I like jcoltrane's suggestion of taking it easy. Driving on a rural interstate at 3am is a lot different than driving on the LIE, it's better to add an extra 16 hours to your travel time than to possibly be seriously injured or killed in a car crash because of drowsiness. Good luck and drive safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City