U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:14 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,288,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what you are saying is that because NYC is expensive anyway, then you should be allowed to charge whatever you want for rent? Which if that is the case, I am guessing you would want to raise your rents to make them more affordable to the "middle class" or to get the most profit you can out of them like every other building owner? Though if your argument is to say that you would offer units for much lower rate, then I agree with you that having a blanket system for RC/RS is a bad idea and should be more regulated on the burrough and even neighborhood level instead.

Also, I am guessing that not every building in NYC has rent control or rent stabilized units in them, which the details of how buildings get them is outside of my knowledge because I haven't fully read up on the history to them. I know in Vancouver, BC it has to do with the credits and tax breaks the developer gets that helps offset the cost as well as gives the developer other added perks for their market rate units. So I am not sure how NYC's system fully works in that regard.

I am curious how your building came to have RC and/or RS units in them?

As for not making NYC any less expensive, I would bet it has for those living in those units, especially if they had to spend twice that amount on rent rather than other necessities.

I am also curious what the number of RC and RS units there are in each burrough.
Shame, I was curious what hilltopjay's answer to this was gonna be...maybe a bump will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 01:46 AM

64,745 posts, read 66,226,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
actually it is more like, if only I could afford the lobbyist to make that happen.
to bad the lobbyists seem to only represent tenants.

when was the last time you saw a bill protecting the landlords rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or