Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,585 times

Advertisements

Who here has a "go-to-cab/taxi" guy. How often do you call them to use them. Percentage-wise, how often are they available when you call them? What else can you say about the relationship?

My family had one when I visited DR and it was very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Friend in Rego Park has a "car service" a block away on Queens Boulevard...she calls them all the time and they are really great.
But she spends money like it grows on trees and for her it DOES.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
A car service chauffeur, yes, I have a few that I will request, and generally one is available. Relatives of mine met up with one when they arrived from London a few years ago, and call him whenever they are in town. If he is unavailable, as they call him first to check his schedule, they will then use whomever he recommends. A friend of the family knows all the car service drivers for her preferred company in Riverdale, such that they all know her, and like her very much as she tips well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,585 times
So not actual yellow taxis though. Ya'll are mentioning car services that are more expensive.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
For "yellow cabs" it's usually get off the curb and wave one down, in Manhattan anyway.
Cars called to pick one up are usually called "black car" or livery.

But I am not expert on these things since, if I can't get where I want to go with subway, bus or train, I stay home. Last cab I got into was to get me to the hospital...YEARS ago.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Yellow cabs, I just tend to hail them on the street. Sometimes, I do find the same taxi driver in the same neighborhood, but never thought to need contact information because they are not radio-dispatched. A taxi driver is also prohibited from using their cell phone while driving, even if on hands-free, so there would be no way to contact a Medallion yellow cab for such a facility, as they would be classified as a for-hire driver, and that could create a problem with the TLC.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
So not actual yellow taxis though. Ya'll are mentioning car services that are more expensive.
Are you sure car services are more expensive than yellow cabs? What makes you think so?

Also, I thought you were in Jackson Heights, in which case you really don't have the option of yellow cabs. There are loads of car services around -- just get one that's recommended (use yelp.com) and call and ask for the rate for the place you need to go.

Here's one Mexicana Car & Limo Svc - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY

Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM

483 posts, read 854,386 times
I don't have a taxi guy but I do have car service guys. I have their cell numbers and will call them on their phone instead of going through the car service operator. If one is unavailable I'll call the next one and so on. This is usually when I'm coming from Brooklyn though and going to Harlem. I'll hail a cab if I have to go around the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City