U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There is a line in the article that's a bit of a red flag about the dog. The article says something about a vet having said the dog was getting aggressive (due to the guy's depression?). I didn't go back to re-read it, but that's what I recall it saying.

I have no idea how the author knew the vet had said this, as it doesn't seem they interviewed the vet for the article.

Was the dog aggressive? Maybe he was.

The guy also apparently got complaints about his dog barking, yet supposedly these charges were invented. Were they? I have always thought that it could be very easy to prove whether your dog barks when you're not home by getting a cheap video/digital recorder, like a nanny cam.

In any case, it sounds like the suicide of a suicidal man. The dog situation pushed him over the edge. The incidents of harassment (if that's what they were) were unfortunate and maybe uncalled for, but wouldn't push anyone but an already suicidal person to suicide (IMHO).

Fair enough.

Although there are also these quotes from the article:

Quote:
“The dog was not a barker, but somebody complained that the dog would bark,” Cleary said.

and

Quote:
Another neighbor, Lia Pettigrew, who runs a pet-care company, said, “Everybody knows that he had been harassed by the building management.”

and

Quote:
Dog owner James Steven Grant said Santino left two rawhide bones on his doorstep and earlier was seen tearfully giving away Rocco’s fluffy bed.

“Rocco was the sweetest dog in the world. Rocco wouldn’t hurt a fly,” Grant said.

So who knows I guess. Bottom line.....still a sad story IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM

1,787 posts, read 2,489,067 times
The owner put the dog down...no one FORCED him to, the dog never hurt anyone, the dog wasn't on 'death row'...it almost sounds like a murder suicide. I don't feel he killed himself because he was distraught over the dog...he had MANY choices, he lived in a luxury building, he could have moved....imo...there is far more to this story...imo, he chose to euthenize his dog and then kill himself...similiar to death by police? (Is that the term?) Very sad story.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:55 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
The owner put the dog down...no one FORCED him to, the dog never hurt anyone, the dog wasn't on 'death row'...it almost sounds like a murder suicide. I don't feel he killed himself because he was distraught over the dog...he had MANY choices, he lived in a luxury building, he could have moved....imo...there is far more to this story...imo, he chose to euthenize his dog and then kill himself...similiar to death by police? (Is that the term?) Very sad story.
This seems like a very plausible explanation.He may well have made the decision to take his own life before he decided to put the dog down.Otherwise he would have moved or given the dog away. A horrible story no matter what.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,860,810 times
I read about this yesterday in the newspaper. Very sad story. People can easily backstab you at any moment, however, a dog that you take care of very well will always be by your side. Imagine if you were responsible for the death of your own best friend, how would you feel?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,774,500 times
He's a fool. Killing yourself over a dog is not only foolish but pathetic. He should have formed healthy human relationships.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,774,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Yup and he was grandfathered in so unless the dog bit someone he was in the clear. I agree with one of the board members who said it's not their fault, it's not. Suicide is always a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I don't feel an ounce of remorse for this guy.

Now if the woman who lost her three daughters hasn't killed herself or the doctor who lost his wife and two daughters in a home invasion why should I feel sorry for some ******* offing himself over a dog?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
...why should I feel sorry for some ******* offing himself over a dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
You realize that everyone's brain chemistry doesn't work exactly as yours does right?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM

11,033 posts, read 6,216,041 times
I agree LiveLoveLaugh. The man likely put his dog down because he was wanting to commit suicide and didn't want to leave him, a nine year old pit bull. It is unlikely this man committed suicide because of his sorrow over the loss of his dog alone.
There were other options for him and his dog if he were mentally healthy. This man was ill. Sad, sad.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,752,795 times
It seems to have become fashionable to be nasty to people and I'm not just speaking of the building mangement but some of the posted replies - If you have no empathy for a man that put his dog to sleep and then committed suicide then you are just a soulless piece of garbage disguised as a member of the human race - You may wish to read up on a lack of empathy in some psychology text books and see where that places you among your peers - I'm sure it will be a real eye opener -

Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 AM

954 posts, read 1,169,987 times
Sad but also pathetic. First of all, you don't do that to your dog. Either move to another place or find someone to give it to. Secondly, its completely pathetic to suicide over a reason like that. Just weak. But there must have been other reasons. You should probably stop trying to be an actor when you're 50 and at least be honest with your passing and not blame the dog as the reason.

RIP to both..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City