Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 17,634 times

Advertisements

My whole life, I've wanted to live in NYC in the worst way. I'm 23, have a solid, good paying job as an engineer, and I'm still obsessed with the thought. A few problems are in my way, namely the fact that my long-term boyfriend does not want to live here. (Don't tell me screw him because it's been 3 years and we're getting married.)

Am I obsessed with this enchantment of an idea that isn't as great once I live here?

I'm not a stranger to the city. My aunt has lived in the village for over 20 years, I've spent summers with her, my parents were raised in the Bronx, 1 of the 3 offices I work at are in the city, and I live in NJ. So pretty much, I think I know what I'm getting if I live here.

I'm looking for people to either get me over this obsession or encourage me to keep trying.

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Probably ought to work this out before you tie the knot, or it's going to be a short marriage. If it was just you I'd say go ahead and move and find out one way or another.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:20 AM

He's well aware of this and if it came down to it, he'd live here but I didn't mean for that to be the focus of my post. It's just kind of an unhealthy obsession I need to either get rid of or act on!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
In general its probably a good idea to never have an unhealthy obsession with anything. If you are obsessed with anything, it is usually because there is something lacking in your life you are deflecting attention from, or you have a disorder. Either way, you should get help.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Well I have always been obsessed with NYC, the history, the architecture, the urban size, everything since I was a young teenager. Now, over 15 years later, I am actually planning a real move to the city. Basically what I am saying is that it will happen if it is meant to happen.

Maybe you will get an engineering job in the city that you can't pass up, which then you two could end up living there for your 30s or something.

I wouldn't end your obsession with the city, but I would focus on what is going on in your life right now and make sure you two are living somewhere you both are happy with. I would resent a girl if she made me live in the suburbs, which is why I am happy to be with someone who is very much about living in the same place as me.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
In general its probably a good idea to never have an unhealthy obsession with anything. If you are obsessed with anything, it is usually because there is something lacking in your life you are deflecting attention from, or you have a disorder. Either way, you should get help.
OK, not trying to get diagnosed here... thanks tho. Exaggeration doesn't transfer to forums, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for your useful responce, UrbanLife78.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I don't get it....you have a good paying job and you're familiar with the city. Why not make the move if you really want to be here? Rent for a year and if you don't like it, move back to NJ.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
If we encourage you, are you planning to dump your boyfriend?

I don't know that we'd be legitimately able to encourage or discourage you, since you don't offer any information about why you want to be in NYC, or whether you are bringing enough to the table.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM

400 posts, read 983,519 times
The only reason I know people to move to NYC is to increase their chances/opportunity for MORE/better sex.

Rarely ever do I meet people who come to NYC to have children and raise a family here. Only 3rd world immigrants who have little to no choice come to NYC. After they have enough funds their out of this sh|t hole.

Some people move to Manhattan for better job/pay and the whole economic spectrum but then again those people arent planning to raise a family in Manhattan or at least most are not.

You know why you want to come here and IMHO its not the architecture or the subways.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
The only reason I know people to move to NYC is to increase their chances/opportunity for MORE/better sex.

Rarely ever do I meet people who come to NYC to have children and raise a family here. Only 3rd world immigrants who have little to no choice come to NYC. After they have enough funds their out of this sh|t hole.

Some people move to Manhattan for better job/pay and the whole economic spectrum but then again those people arent planning to raise a family in Manhattan or at least most are not.

You know why you want to come here and IMHO its not the architecture or the subways.

Lol you really think she wants to move here to have more/better sex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: