U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM

25 posts, read 82,699 times

Advertisements

Ive heard theyve been gentrified, I heard theyre really dangerous and ghetto so whats the deal with these two neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
They have not been gentrified and still have a long way to go.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 PM

953 posts, read 1,168,811 times
Certain blocks, especially ones on and next to the new luxury condos being built have been "gentrified". These small areas are not "dangerous ghettos". In that regard, Harlem has definitely changed for the better. But these are blocks. As a whole Harlem still has 10 years to go, though as of today I don't consider Harlem dangerous or a large ghetto, just not gentrified yet. Still too much poverty and crime and shootings near the projects.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 AM

2,336 posts, read 3,323,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Certain blocks, especially ones on and next to the new luxury condos being built have been "gentrified". These small areas are not "dangerous ghettos". In that regard, Harlem has definitely changed for the better. But these are blocks. As a whole Harlem still has 10 years to go, though as of today I don't consider Harlem dangerous or a large ghetto, just not gentrified yet. Still too much poverty and crime and shootings near the projects.
I know too many financially well-to-do [black] folk choosing to buy in Harlem to make the blanket statement of it being a complete crime ridden ghetto. Of course, they are very selective about where they move in Harlem, as you've mentioned, specific areas are better off than others. Most of my friends from college that settled here after graduation were renting in Harlem so I'd say there is a fair amount of college educated young people up there. There are also a lot of Columbia grads living there (my friend was dating this guy that graduated from Columbia and ALL of his boys from college were living in Harlem). Also, there are enough lounges, bars, and restaurants popping up that attract a "non ghetto" clientele to give it a decent night life.

OP, if you are considering Harlem, and aren't in the position where you can take a walk around to check it out first hand, seek advise from current residents. My POV is that it's very much like gentrifying parts of BK: some parts are better than others.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM

4,133 posts, read 5,940,379 times
^^ This is correct.

Gentrification takes place over time, in fits and starts, in some places within the larger area but not others. It's also linked to the economyy--the recession brought a lot of development to a halt throughout the city--and the cost of housing further downtown n Manhattan. If its high, as rentals currently are, that sends more people Uptown.

But yes, the best way to figure this out is to come see for yourself and talk to people who live there. Nothing substitutes for first hand experience.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,929,239 times
people here will wanna tell you that 'certain' blocks are so nice, you wouldn't even imagine you're in Harlem.
they don't wanna tell you that a neighborhood is composed of MANY blocks, and even if your block looks like one on the UES, the following block might be infested with ghetto people, gang activity and gun violence and there's no getting away from that.
if you don't wanna deal with any of it, then consider not moving to Harlem yet.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM

21 posts, read 66,183 times
I've lived in Harlem for the past 9 years (well, one of those years I lived near 155th which is the border with Washington Heights). Crime in NYC, everywhere, has dramatically gone down from where it was 20, 30 years ago. This includes neighborhoods that people consider "bad". I guess my point is that even if you move to, or near one of those designated "bad" areas, you are likely to be fine. You yourself must decide whether you feel comfortable living there--ie: walking around at night, riding the train, dealing with the activities that one sees in these areas.

It is more a question of whether you will be comfortable because most likely you won't be the victim of a random act of violence. Sure, anything is possible but you can get jacked on the UES too!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 3,323,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsantos13 View Post

It is more a question of whether you will be comfortable because most likely you won't be the victim of a random act of violence. Sure, anything is possible but you can get jacked on the UES too!
Yes! "Do you/would you feel 'comfortable' living here? That really should be the question asked. Not, "is this area safe"? Safety will mean different things to different people given their background, upbringing, and familiarity with different environments. One of my friends who lived in Harlem after college felt comfortable because of all the loitering, not despite it. When people ask that safety question, especially in transitional areas, you get tons of varied responses (all based on their perspectives).

The vast majority of the time, victims of violent crime are victims of violent crime because they are already up to no good in the first place. Of course, there are random incidents were an innocent person is killed but I'd say that those instances are far and few in between and really stick out because they are rare. You're probably far more likely to get killed crossing the street then getting shot because you moved to 125th and Lenox. Now, that's not to say that you couldn't get mugged for your Mac Book or iPhone but that type of theft happens all over NYC, not just in the so called "bad" parts.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM

25 posts, read 82,699 times
i grew up in the so called "ghetto" of tulsa oklahoma although i doubt its anything like the ones in new york but i still think i have some sort of street smarts but i definetly wouldnt feel comfortable hearing a lot of gunshots, trashy looking streets and and lots of boarded up houses and people loitering at all times of the night, is that whats going on in harlem?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 PM

21 posts, read 66,183 times
-Gunshots: Eh, sometimes but it's not something you'll hear regularly.

-Trashy streets: All over New York you'll find trashy, dirty streets. But yes, Upper Manhattan probably has a higher trash-to-street ratio than other 'hoods. Well maybe Midtown can compete or somewhere like the LES at 4AM on Saturday.

-Boarded up houses: Not a lot of these anymore. Those days are long gone. Most have been bought or rehabbed or torn down.

-Loitering: Some streets yes, some streets no. That being said you'll definitely encounter this regularly while walking around. Generally, just mind your own business and nothing will happen. This is the kind of thing where people will vary in their comfort level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City