U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 AM

518 posts, read 1,343,110 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have a problem, and Id like to pose the question to the great think-tank that is CD.

FiOs is coming to our co op and as it has always been a dream of mine to flip off the cable company, we signed up immediatley. It will also give us a chance to fix a problem we are having w/ our next door neighbor.

Hes a nice guy, but he has an almost empty apt - so there is nothing to block the sound of the HUGE sound system he has hooked up to his TV/radio - our two walls touch in a way that my sofa rests against the wall and will shake when he is watching his TV/listening to his radio.

I have already asked him to lower his tv and he has - it went from airplane engine loud to "almost" loud enough to call the cops.

As I said, FiOS is coming, and we are getting new holes drilled into the walls for the cables, and I thought now would be a good time to flip the living room arrangement around to be as far away from the "noise wall" as possible.

I do know from grade school that sound travels in waves and is absorbed by obects, dampening it the more it has to travel. It has no problem traveling through my paper thin co op wall right into my brain, but if we put our TV / bookcases against the wall, and sofa on the opposite wall, would that help?

Ive been thinking about this so much that I can no longer see it objectively. My specific question:

Will the noise of his set up be dampened if we put our TV (and stereo) between him & us?

My fear is that I will be putting my self in an echo chamber, where the sound of his TV and mine will get together and give me more migraines.

He has a tiny apt, about the size of our living room / dining area. Nothing on the walls, no other furniture, I could see this on the many times past his apt where he leaves the door open (sound flooding the hallway) and a single chair. Hes got nothing to suck up his sound waves.

My thinking is to use our tv/bookcases to absorb the sound that comes through the wall And then the TV/ stereo itself will transmit sound, hopefully "in front" of his, canceling his noise out.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm just looking to see if this is a good idea, or if im too close to this to see a hole in my plan.

Thanks for reading,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM

20,129 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Vic,

What would help the MOST is if you can induce your neighbor to move his speakers to the wall OPPOSITE your common wall. (I have my DUGE speakers and both TV's against both sides of my inner wall so that I don;t disturb my neighbors any more than necessary.

Competing bass a few tenths of a second apart CAN make you NUTS but if yours is a lot louder than his, maybe yours is all you'll hear.

Since I now own instead of rent, If I ever have the problem, I will drill holes between the studs and foam in some insulation using those red cans from Home Depot (Great Stuff?) The BEST soundroofing is to put another free floating wall in front...but that's BIG MONEY and you lose part of your apartment.

Most practical for you is to put your TV and stereo along his wall so as to get your head as far away from his noise as possible.

Good News with that FIOS...you will LOVE IT. (See if you can get a 2 year bargain committment from them; they often offer that with new co-op wirings to get as many hooked up as possible.)

Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Vic,

What would help the MOST is if you can induce your neighbor to move his speakers to the wall OPPOSITE your common wall. (I have my DUGE speakers and both TV's against both sides of my inner wall so that I don;t disturb my neighbors any more than necessary.

Competing bass a few tenths of a second apart CAN make you NUTS but if yours is a lot louder than his, maybe yours is all you'll hear.

Since I now own instead of rent, If I ever have the problem, I will drill holes between the studs and foam in some insulation using those red cans from Home Depot (Great Stuff?) The BEST soundroofing is to put another free floating wall in front...but that's BIG MONEY and you lose part of your apartment.

Most practical for you is to put your TV and stereo along his wall so as to get your head as far away from his noise as possible.

Good News with that FIOS...you will LOVE IT. (See if you can get a 2 year bargain committment from them; they often offer that with new co-op wirings to get as many hooked up as possible.)
Hey KK, hows tricks?

What you said the in bold is what I was planning on doing - i figure even if its the same loudness, I wont actually feel the vibration in the sofa. gotta be worth something.

I'm SO looking forward to FiOS - after 4pm here you cant use the internet - not cool- and they gave us the 2 yrs for $80./month!! 2 rooms w/ cable & universal DVR - thats even lower than the Optimum triple play - Optimum forced us into buying that for the 94./month - but now we have a ghost phone (a land line hooked uo to nothing that still sends caller ID displays on the TV even though Ive disabled it several times) and no internet once everyone comes home & on the weekends, forgeddaboudit.

In the future I am looking into soundproofing the wall we share - I saw one advert that stated it cost a grand to do 50 foot wall - my wall is 30 feet - so Im guess a grand will cover it by the time I am ready.

thanks KK

Old 01-31-2012, 04:43 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,633,860 times
If you're not too particular about your design elements a wall covered with the bottom of egg cartons would help with noise abatement.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
If you're not too particular about your design elements a wall covered with the bottom of egg cartons would help with noise abatement.
Those egg carton walls are designed to stop reflection of YOUR noise but wouldn't do much to stop transmission through the common wall.

BEST would be to tear down the drywall and go halvsies on the cost of a BRICK WALL. And then whenever you sell you will hear prospective buyers croon "OH, exposed BRICK...I LOVE it."
Messie though if there's a lot of wiring involved.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Those egg carton walls are designed to stop reflection of YOUR noise but wouldn't do much to stop transmission through the common wall.

BEST would be to tear down the drywall and go halvsies on the cost of a BRICK WALL. And then whenever you sell you will hear prospective buyers croon "OH, exposed BRICK...I LOVE it."
Messie though if there's a lot of wiring involved.
wow, brick....I do love that idea KK- we are going to need a complete rewire in the years to come (2 dead outlets along that wall as it is) Im probably going to get some inheritance $$, I may put this in the runing along with claw foot tub and kitchen wall tiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City