U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM

345 posts, read 255,973 times

Advertisements

It's like arguing with a boulder.

These pedestrian plazas are going to keep coming whether you like them or not. So you and whatever constituent you pretend to stand for lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,474,349 times
Yeah that's pretty much him...don't waste too much time with this one..he is like Archie Bunker...the world will change around him but he won't.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,697,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
It's like arguing with a boulder.

These pedestrian plazas are going to keep coming whether you like them or not. So you and whatever constituent you pretend to stand for lose.

Thanks for reiterating the fact the the city just goes ahead and implements whatever the hell it wants, whenever it wants to (for the most part).

Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yeah that's pretty much him...don't waste too much time with this one..he is like Archie Bunker...the world will change around him but he won't.

Aaaaaaaaaand SubaruGuy goes ahead and somehow manages to bring race into this (yes, it's implied when you mention Archie Bunker).

I actually commend you for holding out so long.

Going for a run, smart guys. Catch you on the flip...

Old 02-01-2012, 02:59 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,474,349 times
Again..no race mentioned here...YOU brought race in. My analogy was such that Archie never changes despite what happens in the world around him...which fits you exactly. Progress...who needs it meathead!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Again..no race mentioned here...YOU brought race in. My analogy was such that Archie never changes despite what happens in the world around him...which fits you exactly. Progress...who needs it meathead!

The change that Archie was afraid of was of all the people of different races and ethnicities moving in around him and that he had to interact with in his daily life, you brilliant sunnavabitch. Here is a refresher lesson if you're so inclined. You for some reason compared me to Archie Bunker. Therefore, you brought race into a thread that was unnecessary....again.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM

7,128 posts, read 11,832,300 times
I walked by the plaza yesterday during the springlike weather and every table was filled with people, and none appeared to be homeless.

The community--the people who actually LIVE HERE--are enjoying the plaza whether the complainers like it or not.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I walked by the plaza yesterday during the springlike weather and every table was filled with people, and none appeared to be homeless.

The community--the people who actually LIVE HERE--are enjoying the plaza whether the complainers like it or not.

Not my experience the other beautiful day a couple days ago. But granted you're telling the truth, are random days where this might happen more important to you than possible shuttered storefronts and fathers who may now have trouble putting food on the table?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You already said you don't live in the neighborhood. So the ONE TIME you walked by the plaza was much more random than the multiple times I walk by it. And when I walk by I see people sitting at the tables (provided it's not 20 degrees when people don't tend to sit outdoors at tables).

You are choosing to be hardheaded about this issue. It's nice that you support your friend the business owner, but if she really cared about what's going on in the neighborhood, she would have made an effort to attend the multiple meetings where all the traffic changes were being discussed over the past two years.

It seems she didn't and now you are pissed off on her behalf for her carelessness. Well, I guess that makes you a supportive friend, but a very ill-informed and closed-minded person.

My friend is doing just beautifully. She's not near that block. That's got nothing to do with anything.

And again, why should I believe what I am told about what went on during these meetings? The other guy who attempted to link me some info on it failed. Take a look back and you'll see that.

Bottom line is that during these incredibly tough economic times, budget money going towards stuff like this is insane. Especially when working class folk are being adversely affected by it. If you wanna re-visit crap like this when the budget is nice and overflowing, then that's great. But when the mayor will inevitably throw some essential services on the chopping block (like he always does) in his yearly budget proposal, then one has to do a giant face-palm.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 PM

lol wtf happened to your post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City